Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Re: BG Training

I got down Hank's variant on Halls Fell in just under 27 minutes on today's recce - it was easy to follow so I'll be going that way on my attempt. I say "Hank's variant", but actually I used both Hank's description of it and keswicksimon's description of the same route, posted in 2007 somewhere on this forum. So thanks to both of you!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Legs 1 and 2 today, weather was reasonably kind - hardly a breath of wind for the most part and cloudbase well above the tops, just got a bit of hail and rain coming down Seat Sandal. Couldn't say the same for a bit further West though, very dark clouds over the Scafells and Gable, looked like it was hammering it down over there.

Tried a number of alternate routes today, including the Clough Head ascent that has been discussed here recently (i.e the White Pike route). Made it to the top in about 50 minutes without really hammering it and I have to say it felt much kinder on the legs than the direct ascent I've been using of late. That's the one, I think.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Sounds like you had a good day Martyn?

We tried "Hanks variant" on Halls Fell Ridge today and am convinced it's quicker if I can get the best line. Headed down the scree but wasn't exactly sure wherabouts to start the traverse across to the ridge itself. We found a faint trod heading leftwards which appeared to peter out at some difficult ground. At this point I'd spotted a better trod some 30m below so headed down (a bit sketchy) to this which led across to the ridge.
    An easy day today, just got one more week then tapering for me
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post

We tried "Hanks variant" on Halls Fell Ridge today and am convinced it's quicker if I can get the best line. Headed down the scree but wasn't exactly sure wherabouts to start the traverse across to the ridge itself. We found a faint trod heading leftwards which appeared to peter out at some difficult ground. At this point I'd spotted a better trod some 30m below so headed down (a bit sketchy) to this which led across to the ridge.
    We didn't have any problems finding the route on Saturday. Down the LHS of the scree, then left onto the grass once you can, then slant down & to the left to a cairn. Once you can see the ridge over to the left head left to another cairn & a reasonable trod all the way across the hillside to rejoin the ridge. We could always see the continuation trod after the rocky bits, which were all easy.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Legs 1 and 2 today, weather was reasonably kind - hardly a breath of wind for the most part and cloudbase well above the tops, just got a bit of hail and rain coming down Seat Sandal. Couldn't say the same for a bit further West though, very dark clouds over the Scafells and Gable, looked like it was hammering it down over there.

Tried a number of alternate routes today, including the Clough Head ascent that has been discussed here recently (i.e the White Pike route). Made it to the top in about 50 minutes without really hammering it and I have to say it felt much kinder on the legs than the direct ascent I've been using of late. That's the one, I think.
    I always used to find that White Pike added about 4 mins to the direct route and so used the direct route, but like you, was up there in about 50 mins from Threlkeld when the schedule allowed slightly over an hour if i recall. Looking back, i think that the White Pike route is a better option simply because it is easier on the legs. That very steep option up the front, which now has a distinct trod, always made me feel i was working harder than i wanted to be at such a early stage and was one reason why the ascent of Clough Head, from Newsham to summit, is my least favourite section of the round (that and the final mile to Calf Crag).

If you can save your legs for when you really need them later on by avoiding persistently steep lines early on (not always possible, Fairfield and Steel Fell just have to be tackled) then I think you're in with a chance. Shaving off a minute or two early doors on a steep line is a risk not worth taking if you're not a superhuman, sub 20 hour type.

I have to say there's a strong argument for Doddick. I went that way on my winter round because Halls Fell was iced up to hell (actually so was Doddick, but Hall's Fell would have been suicide). It was so runnable and easy on the legs, a gentle descent done in just under half an hour in full winter conditions and minus 12 temperatures, comparable times i was running on Hall's Fell in the summer. It's counter intuitive because it is longer, and the instinct is for saving distance, but the instinct should be to save leg power and reduce fatigue in the quads which Doddick does by helping you stain a nice easy running rhythm with none of that heavy braking needed when going down the parachute (i only did that once on Emmilou's round, never again).

Hall's fell via the ridge is a lovely, sporting route but for a round, i would go for Doddick thesedays. Certainly worth having as a plan B if it's very wet and windy in the summer if you're not convinced as a plan A.

EDIT - was meant in include Keswick Simon's post about this as a quote but somehow didn't - just incase you thought i was randomly rambling.
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 23-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post

Hello Ian,

Yes, it was a good day out. We split up on the Blencathra descent, Becca and Patrick went down Hall's Fell with the Hank/Eagles/Whatever modification at the top, while I went down Tom's variant of the Parachute with Simon. Only my second time trying this and it was a bit tricky getting the right line, I lost a couple of minutes by dropping too low/East into the gully then had to clamber back up in order to get right line above some nasty bits and gain the gentler, grassy descent towards the end (it takes you on the low ridge above that ruined building/sheepfold - or whatever it is - at the bottom of Middle Tongue) and leads practically to the gate. ..... I tried to save my legs as much as possible and even with my messing around it was 27 mins from top to the bottom of Fellside where Helen had parked. I don't think Simon was too impressed and will be sticking to his Doddick plans and to be honest, I can see this - I was just reading Mark's thoughts on this and there is a huge amount to be gained from saving your legs for later in the round, but a few minutes gained from charging down a fell at full belt will be of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. Not that I am changing my own plans mind you!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

just while we're putting the boot into the direct ascent up Clough Head...
    I blame it (at least in part) for seeding the cramp that eventually caused the failure of my attempt last year
    I will definitely do the White Pike variant when I go again

also, while I'm here...
    I did the Doddick descent off Blencathra, which I like
    but I've since become a convert to the "Semi-Halls" which is a bit quicker/shorter and not too much harder on the legs
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

After a day kayaking and mountain biking in South Lakes on Sunday I decided to stop off via Blencathra before heading home. Set off up Hallsfell just before 6pm and was back to car within an hour. can't see what the problem is

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    After a day kayaking and mountain biking in South Lakes on Sunday I decided to stop off via Blencathra before heading home. Set off up Hallsfell just before 6pm and was back to car within an hour. can't see what the problem is
    In decent weather conditions and visibility there shouldn't be a problem.

On my failed attempt last year we arrived at Blencathra summit at about 2a.m., bagged in with thick cloud and raining. We considered Doddick Fell but on a previous recce in similar conditions we had completely overshot the top of the ridge and had to climb back up, and found it took me longer to descend Doddick than Halls. With this in mind and already slightly down on schedule due to an earlier nav error coming off Skiddaw I chose Halls Fell Ridge.

This was a mistake as the cloud was so thick we just couldn't discern if the step below us was 6ft or 60, (even when holding headtorches down by our feet) and found ourselves repeatedly going down "blind alleys" and backtracking.
    All of this is difficult to envisage in good conditions/visibility.
    So I'm determined to find alternative routes this time and the "Semi-Halls"/"Hanks Variant" seems like a good option.
    Do what you like, like what you do