Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Re: BG Training

Important not to be too rigid with plans - just do as much hilly running as you can with over excercising. I once over did it on on my BG training (two long days back to back) and had a bad ankle for 3 weeks afterwards. I would say do one run/walk with as much ascent/descent as possible each week. and then whatever else you feel comfortable with. I found long bike rides really helped as it develops the climbing fitness with no load fatigue, and swimming is great for easing of the muscles.

I am concerned that it's not consistent but then wonder if it is too early to be getting that stressed about it - end of May/June is still a few months away!
    Do you not worry that you may peak too early?
    I reckon if you're a regular runner who does 20ish miles a week, then doing 6 months of 40miles a week in the run up is not needed. Last year I over did it early on planning a June round, then ended up not running for ages.

I'm not planning on a June round though this time. :sneaky:

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    10 to 12 weeks of 35 to 45miles and 10,000ft+ Feb to May or Mar to Jun and you'll be fine. Don't worry too much what you're doing in the week either (or in Nov or Dec). Swiss Toni on here had a theory you could get round on one run per week and I concur if it was a long (8hr+) run on the high fells. Burn out / breakdown / boredom are risks
    Agree......I did my one long run on Sat or Sun and spent most of the rest of the week recovering. I did a circuit class and a club session through the week but not much more! I built up the long runs (mainly over BG route) over the Feb -May period. However i've always managed on limited training as i'm quite lazy and this may not work for all.
    Ash, i think your training is going great at the moment, but as mentioned somewhere above, be careful not to burn out or pick up an injury.........the good long days are coming early next year :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Ash, i think your training is going great at the moment, but as mentioned somewhere above, be careful not to burn out or pick up an injury.........the good long days are coming early next year :thumbup:
    Thanks Nee Bother or should I say my personal Coach!

Thanks everyone on here for input on training for BG attempt, as its always great to find out from people who have "got the t-shirt" so to speak.
    I will be keeping an eye on these forums for training tips and recce runs.

I didn't get to the Lakes and do any recceing or 'proper' hill work until 9th April and did my round on 9th July. It was intense but only for 3 months. I would certainly go with that rather than a slightly less intense routine that lasts 6 months. As Derby Tup said boredom and burnout are a serious concern over too long a period.

I would also agree with those that said the key is one good session a week (and at some points 2 days back to back). You do need to allow for some recovery time during the week. It is often quoted that you need 10,000ft a week, well you can do nearly all that at the weekend in one session.

Adders - biggest tip I can give you on the day is to keep your rests short. Only stop to eat, once you have finished - go. On my round we stopped for 6 or 7 minutes 3 times and then at Honister for about 2 mins. Some people get too set on a 15 min stop and for 7 or 8 mins are just sitting in a chair chatting. Complete waste of time. The only recovery you get when you rest is to reduce your heart rate, which will be as low as its going to get after 7 minutes anyway. Your won't repair any muscle damage, so once you've eaten you may as well go.

Have to make sure your pacers are well trained and ready to go as soon as you want though
    If you're going through Hell - keep going! Winston Churchill

Adders - best hills closest to Belper would be Crich Stand from Whatsatndwell or Black Rocks Trig from Cromford / High peak Junction. Both give you ~700ft in 1.5 miles (one-way) can be all off-road and have a number of alternative routes up and down so you don't get bored. 3 reps gives 9miles and 2000+ft. I use these to up the mid-week climb when getting ready for hillier races. I work on the basis you should enjoy the training as much as the event.

To put yet another different spin on this thread... I got round on four months road/mountain bike training (lots of long rides and hill work but no running at all) then just two months on the fells plus the taper.

The fell training was a long walk/run every weekend building up to 35 miles / 12,000' or so a bit faster than BG pace... this gave the "time on feet" aspect always throwing in as much steep ascent/descent as possible.

Meanwhile weeknight hill sessions on the bike, 2x20-minute threshold intervals on gym machines, hill reps up & down Glastonbury Tor... three of these sessions a week for climbing fitness without hammering my knees, the hill reps on the tor also gave some valuable extra descending though I never did more than six per session (300' per rep). You don't need a huge volume of this kind of work, quality counts.

I only hit the magic 10,000' /week a couple of times. Last big day out was the Welsh 3000s, after that two and a half weeks taper/recovery when I kept up the threshold work but didn't go on the fells.

The five miles into Keswick at the end of my round was my longest flat run all year... in fact more than the *total* flat mileage I did in training

Cheers all,

JohnB thanks for the tips on more local climbs.

Jackson Lane reps and Crich stand all going into my training plan.

Is Bradfield Boundary a good training run for the BG? Not much climb just a long day out on your feet. Wonder if I'd do better having a long day around Edale!?

adders, my experience from the tail end of the mid-pack blessed with general purpose genetics and needing 2 failures before nailing it may be ones you wish to (and possible should) ignore, but you are getting them anyway :-)

Get out en route with someone who has done it or knows the route well and do 2 legs. I had a internet arranged blind date with Penrith Stu in Feb 2010, we did legs 1 and 2 on a snowy day and it really opened my eyes to what is needed. As the Cumbrian put it, I was "on my arse" by the end of leg 2. Once you have some idea of the scale relative to your ability, you will work out for yourself what you need to do. It was a rare week where I did more than 40 miles. 10k of climb was common, but if I raised the miles I got injured.

Train to eat. Learning what I can eat was more of a factor of success for me on attempt 3, than any difference in fitness.

I have paced a few rounds where the ability to descend was a real limiting factor towards the end. Don't neglect the descent aspect and getting comfortable with relaxed descents
    and getting the muscles used for heading down strong.

There is lots more to learn, but the fun is finding it out for yourself. Enjoy the journey.

Super Moderator

I didn't do more than 8hrs at a time this spring but I did do something like 11 or 12 weekends were I ran Saturday and Sunday, building up to 8hr Saturday and 6hr Sunday. I was shocked how fit this made me

I'm also a big believer in a 'boot camp' week prior to tapering. 80miles/30,00ft over 10days or so and feeling great at the end gave me a massive confidence boost
    Poacher turned game-keeper