Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Re: BG Training

well theres plenty to read on this thread and some very usefull advice. ive been thinking of an attempt in june 2013 my 42nd birthday but after keeping an eye on this thread i might be over doing the build up, and up my training and look at next year. if anyones after company after xmas on all legs or needs help on a slower round or reccies id be happy to get involved. ive not done owt on the round but am reading up and getting what hill work i can in , ive got the distance in my legs just need to work on the hill bit and will keep an eye on this thread and also take note of all advice. is there any good books on the round ? so if anyone fancies helping a bg rookie get some time in or just in a bit bad mood and fancy punishing someone on a reccie im available {i'll probably reget that last bit :-s) sorry adders i dont mean piggyback your post but if i can help on your attempt just let me know :-)

Adders

All of the training is personal and depends how hill fit you are already. If you have a good base fitness in the hills then you need to be careful with the miles just for miles sake. You will get a very good idea of where you sit fitness wise if you attempt 1 or 2 of the BG legs on a recce. Depending how well you know the route at 6 months out I would expect you to be coming in about 15-30mins quicker than your expected time for the actual round on each leg - if you know the route that is.
    My training looked something like this (and I did it with a mate so it must have been right for 2 as we both completed it together) - maybe it will be helpful for you, but don't get too hung up you just need to get to the point you know barring awful weather,sickness or injury you know you can do it.

Our successful round was end of July 2011, so working back the big ones were:

June 10 - Ennerdale fell race - 25 miles.
    Sept 10 - High Peak 40 miles.
    Oct 10 - OMM B class so approx 50 mile over 2 days.
    Jan 11 - Hebden 22 miles
    March 11 - Blubberhouse 25 miles
    April 11 - 3 Peaks 25 miles
    June 11 - 40 miles overnight in the Yorkshire dales.

From January onwards we did at least a day in the lakes approx every month and did at least 2 legs at any 1 time.

The most we did for a BG recce was in April when we did leg 2/3/4 on the 1st day - approx 40 miles taking 15hrs so very steady (stayed in Honister) and then ran leg 5 the next day and back along the railway track from Keswick to Threkfeld. The following weekend I completed the 3 Peaks at a steady time just inside 4.5hrs, but a very good test for the old legs.

Apart from this pretty much straight through for approx 12 months prior to the BG I was doing 15-20 miles on the hills north of Ilkley with a max height gain of 5000ft every Sunday, and 1 other run in the week 1000ft 1 hr 6 miles. However when I needed a reast I took one and didn't worry about taking a whole week off sometimes.

When you read up on all the advice I was worried early on that I wasn't doing enough, but my trips to the Lakes always seemed to confirm that I was on track so after a while I didn't worry.

Good luck

Quick update,

3rd week of 10,000 ft climbing. Looking for climb rather than distance now. As a few have said though 40 to 50 miles a week come naturally with 10,000 ft of climb.
    Tigger Tor and Skyline entries sent, got to enjoy my training no matter what!
    Looking forward to getting the long days out started.

Thank you to all who have posted with your experiences and those who are training for this event too. Hope to see you on the hills.
    Last edited by adders; 13-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adders View Post
    Quick update,

3rd week of 10,000 ft climbing. Looking for climb rather than distance now. As a few have said though 40 to 50 miles a week come naturally with 10,000 ft of climb.
    Tigger Tor and Skyline entries sent, got to enjoy my training no matter what!
    Looking forward to getting the long days out started.

Thank you to all who have posted with your experiences and those who are training for this event too. Hope to see you on the hills.
    3rd week of 10,000ft feet in bag by mid-Jan is a great start :thumbup:

If you're passing the Holly Bush at Makeney pop in a have a pint of Pedigree for me please :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

The one thing that nobody's mentioned is the terrain you get out on.

I found a really big help on my round last July was to spend an awful lot of time up on high block field covered ridges in the wet. Following the train hard, race easy mentality I spent lots of time last spring out on ground as rough (or rougher) than the roughest parts of the round. A few long days out in Snowdonia and the highlands were especially helpful. Getting out and over the scafell range a couple of times is a good leg masher. Although you probably don't need to go over it as much as i did. I recied leg 3 out and back from dunmail, also did high raise - honister as a recie, ran the great lakes race then accidentally paced leg 3 twice as well!

I never had a regular training plan - I'm far too lazy for that. All of the weeks I exceeded 10,000 foot I'd done that ascent in a single day. Long hard days out are the most important thing in my opinion, especially as most people attempting the BG are 'fit' enough already. Once you start thinking of 3000m of ascent in a day as nothing, start felling annoyed that you're cutting short your day by having to get back after only 8 hours out, or start saying things to yourself like "it's only another 15 miles" you'll be fine.

The absolute best thing I did in preparation for the BG was a round of Glencoe, which i would highly recommend to everyone. I would also recommend taking more than 1 bottle if you're attempting it in a freakish April heatwave, as after the devil's staircase there is no running water... hallucinating on the aonnach eagach is best avoided!

Super Moderator

I wrote a summary of what I did last spring for my blog recently. This is it:

Total days in Lakes recceing: 13
    Total hours on Lakeland fells: 70
    Total 4hour plus runs (fell): 15
    Total climb (approx but not far off): 150,000feet
    Total double day weekends (running Saturday and Sunday): 12
    Longest run: 22miles / 8,000feet (recce of Lake, Ridge and Wainwight LDWA route) in just under 8hours

I'd very rarely run both days at the weekend before but think now that it was a massive help. Sarah Rowell wrote about this in her book and it was Stef who instilled in me the benefit of getting out the day after a long run for more of the same

Bob made a comment somewhere that when you run a leg and then think, 'that was fine, I'm ready for the next one', you're getting there
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 13-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.

I need to sort out those back-to-back efforts!! I used to do that years ago when I had to travel over to the lakes, and had w/e off and I did notice a marked difference in my abilities in the hills. My first one will be this week I hope.

I'm always amazed by how few runners ever go out two days in a row, I guess it's due to the racing mentality that automatically schedules rest after a big day out. A good way to get multiple back-to-back days in is to go on a running / hillwalking holiday. I managed about 11,000 metres of ascent in a week in Lochaber last easter whilst on holiday with my girlfriend and her family. Only 2 days out were running, the rest leisurely hillwalking with non-runners, albeit carrying everyone's lunch plus extra rocks. In fact I don't think anyone's mentioned the benefits of walking up hills with a heavy bag as a benefit multiplier.

Super Moderator

I had been on a few trekking holidays before I started fell running including a ten day walk around the TMB. The consensus on these treks was you can walk yourself fit in a week or ten days (well, considerably fitter than when you started)

Training for the BG with a MM rucksack and plenty of kit (like a pacer basically) and then being let off the lease for your attempt is a massive boost. The only thing is carrying bag spoils your form and some 'proper' running is needed too I think
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 13-01-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: My God, millipede is right. I am a bore!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I had been on a few trekking holidays before I started fell running including a ten day walk around the TMB. The consensus on these treks was you can walk yourself fit in a week or ten days (well, considerably fitter than when you started). I'm a big fan (now) of double days at the weekend but also what I call a 'boot-camp week'. Last Easter we did 80miles / 31,000ft over ten days or so and I was flying at the end of it (as well as losing three pounds in weight in spite of eating like a horse and 're-hydrating' very well)

Training for the BG with a MM rucksack and plenty of kit (like a pacer basically) and then being let off the lease for your attempt is a massive boost. The only thing is carrying bag spoils your form and some 'proper' running is needed too I think
    I agree with everything.... except the bit about form. I think the only form one should try to develop is the "shambling mess" gait... a bag only enhances this!

On an aside on this subject, on my round I deliberately carried my own sack with clothing and some food to dunmail in order to delay this feeling of being let off the leash. Has anyone else ever gone for this approach?