Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Re: BG Training

IanThat looks like a really strong training plan - I would echo the comment about the terrain you are on and getting time running on rough and steep stuff - also I think a Huge part of getting round a bg is in your head so for me having done a day longer than half a bg was really important in terms of confidence - (16 hrs doing the cullin ridge). Back to back running days sound good though family life made this a non starter for me. One thing I would have liked to have trained more for was running in the darkThough in the end sucsess seems to be more down to the ability to eat than the ability sucsessfulGood luckKate

Good day out with Ashstroller on Saturday over leg 3 cw. Very cold but amazing views and scenery.
    Perfect running on crispy crunchy ground.
    Nice and peaceful, Didn't see anyone till Langdale.
    Rocky ground covered in frost slowed us a wee bit.
    Saw a couple of runners on Great End and a couple more on Scafell Pike (one in shorts :w00t: )
    Great fun up Lords Rake then up snow and ice filled gulley.
    Long wet slog down to Boot where car was parked.

Great fun.

Saw empty tupperware box at Dunmail with 'BG 14.1.12 on it and a few studmarks on the summits, anyone know if anyone did a round on Sat?

Auld Ken
    Last edited by Nee Bother; 16-01-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Funny that I was just trying to post about our recce on Saturday.....yes it was great fun

I have a bruised shoulder from my fall early on in the day and two very bruised shins from the "paths" that you took nee bother on!
    I somehow think that on my attempt in June I will not be going up Lords Rake!!! That was scary stuff

More training to comlete before June 15th 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by parkovski View Post
    On an aside on this subject, on my round I deliberately carried my own sack with clothing and some food to dunmail in order to delay this feeling of being let off the leash. Has anyone else ever gone for this approach?
    All the way to Honister on mine, though by that stage being "let off the leash" was a purely theoretical concept!

Agree with the broader idea of seeing the first two legs to Dunmail (on a C/W round) as a kind of preamble, get there in as good shape as possible then reset & recharge mentally for the real work ahead.

Re. back-to-back big days training I avoided them as I've got a long history of knee & calf trouble and needed to minimise the risk of re-aggravating them. But I can see the benefit if your body will stand up to it... basically just interval training on a grander scale with on/off times in hours not minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother
    Saw empty tupperware box at Dunmail with 'BG 14.1.12 on it and a few studmarks on the summits, anyone know if anyone did a round on Sat?
    Most likely Steve Ashworth who went round in 18:45 on Fri/Sat, see the "This weekend's attempt" thread.
    Last edited by elliptic; 16-01-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added info on Steve's round

I don't think you can prescribe the "correct" training approach to the BG or other similar rounds. So much depends on your initial level of fitness, your genetic make up and whether you want to get round in under 24 hours or go substantially quicker.

If you've been running regularly (by which I mean at least 3 times a week, 20-25mpw) for a few years and are naturally fairly quick, you may be able to get round in <24 hours with relatively little training. 8-12 hilly runs of over 3 hours (including two or three 5-8 hour runs) in the Lakes/Snowdonia/Highlands in the 4 months or so before attempting the round could well be enough for someone who is quick enough to come in the top third of a medium or long fellrace. Some of these training runs can be in the form of races - eg Edale Skyline, 3 Peaks, Old County Tops.

Other factors such as weather, digestion and navigation are just as important as fitness, as is the mental side of things, especially expecting a bad patch and being able to come through it and keep going. Getting use to eating well while on the move is really important.

This isn't to knock the 40mpw 10,000' a week school of thought, but I would say try not to let it become a burden if you're falling short of that benchmark.
    Last edited by blencathrafrommykitchen; 17-01-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: didn't read as clearly as intended!
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Quote Originally Posted by elliptic View Post
    Agree with the broader idea of seeing the first two legs to Dunmail (on a C/W round) as a kind of preamble, get there in as good shape as possible then reset & recharge mentally for the real work ahead.
    This is sort of how i saw it. Getting to Dunmail was no different to a normal training day (easier in fact as i'd have rested, eaten well, had gear carried and was unusually focussed that day) but after that it felt like the 'round proper'. I just read my blog from my summer round and the phrase i used was that at Dunmail, the round started in earnest, which sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by elliptic View Post
    All the way to Honister on mine, though by that stage being "let off the leash" was a purely theoretical concept!
    So, Elliptic, when is your anti-clockwise attempt? Don't tell me you've not considered it.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Tell you what, you go clockwise and I'll go anti-clockwise... see you on Bowfell

Well!! Completed my first back-to-back training sessions yesterday! Not really as far or as high as I'd like but a decent starter. Did Leg #3 as far as Langdale Pikes, and back...so 14m/3500'. Then yesterday Skiddaw up-and-down via Latrigg and Little Man....10m/3000'. Pace was ok and feel ok today! So roll on next run!!

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Well!! Completed my first back-to-back training sessions yesterday! Not really as far or as high as I'd like but a decent starter. Did Leg #3 as far as Langdale Pikes, and back...so 14m/3500'. Then yesterday Skiddaw up-and-down via Latrigg and Little Man....10m/3000'. Pace was ok and feel ok today! So roll on next run!!
    Good work! Are you coming on the leg 1 and 2 recce next Friday?
    Geoff Clarke