Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Training

Super Moderator

Re: BG Training

Ronin, two options I've done are from just above the cattle grid on Wells Road in Ilkley up the hill-side past White Wells and then up to the big cairn above the stone steps above Rocky Valley or straight down from Surprise View car park North as far as you can and back up

Ilkley rep is roughly 550ft in 3/4miles, Chevin about 600ft in slightly less

if you're coming over drop me a pm and I'll have a run out with you if you fancy a bit of company
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Theres a hill with a 'keep' on in York city!! :thumbup:

Ronin, I wouldn't be surprised if time and traffic-wise it would be easier for you to hit the SW North York moors for hill reps coming from York/Tadcaster after work. I bet there's some proper suffering to be had around Sutton Bank for example!

Ronin, The closest option to York (at a rough guess) would be Millington / Bishop Wilton (about 20 mins from York). A look on the OS map will show a few options around 350ft, and there are plenty of deep valleys for some more variety. As others have said, if you want something bigger than that, it'd be Ilkley or Sutton Bank.

Hi Ronin

I might be able to help - I live in them there Ilkley hills or maybe hillocks would be the best decription. From the valley bottom it is easy enough to get in 1000ft ascent in 45ish mins. Start by the old bridge and head north up towards Beamsley and Round Hill, drop down to the A59 on the northern side and back. Or head south up towards the radio masts and get the hill reps in. Alternatively a good training run I used to do at the weekend was to start at the old bridge again head out to Simon's Seat (north) and back - it's around 24 miles but is probably around 3500ft and good terrain to practice on. Good luck with it all and if you fancy a route finder let me know along with Derby Tup

Just a quick one, Im training for a May Bgr, Im more an ultrarunner than a fell runner, used to distance and 12 to 40 odd hours on my feet, (UTMB, West Highland Way Race, Hardmoors 110, Lakeland 100 etc etc) still get to the Lakes and the highlands to do a spot of hill work. Ive recently moved to Tadcaster and am looking for the nearest decent hills for hill reps etc, any recomendations? Ive used the Cleveland Hills in the past, but noticed a lot of mention about the Ilkley Hills? the nearer the better to Tadcaster so I can pop up there after work (I work in York City Centre) any help would be fantastic[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, thats all pretty good stuff, will do a combination of all 3, Will get to Ilkley and look at the routes mentioned, its only 20 odd miles for me now, love the area (did Rombalds the other week) Will also head for Sutton Bank too (One of my training runs is from Osmotherley to Blowarth Crossing, via the Cleveland Hills and back over them again, great run but it must be 35-40 miles away??) I know Millington Wold is exceptionaly steep so will take a look there too. El and Derby Tup Ill pm you guys when I get back from a week away (going to Oman to do the Wadi Bih, a 45 mile Ultra with 1000m climb, should help a little)
    I hope to get a few weekends away in the Lakes (Feb,April and early May) Once again thank you!!! I Fly in 12 hours so ill sign out

Smile Re: BG Training

Hi All,

Just to introduce, DPFR, and have the BG in my sights for the last few years, bit of a plodder, based in Derby.

Have just made contact with Adders and train together Tues/Thurs mornings.

At the moment i am covering:

Sunday - Longish day not less that 11 - 12 miles/4,500ft
    Monday - 6.5 miler - 1,000ft
    Tuesday - 7.45 m/ 2500ft - Sometime run with local tarmac club
    Wednesday - REST
    Thursday - 7.45 m/ 2500ft - Intending to do hill reps when the clocks change
    Friday - REST
    Saturday - Choose a local fell race route - Riber / Black Rocks / Chevin - Run at Pace -

Any more thoughts on this,

Completed the Grindleford at the weekend, and knock 28 mins of previous PB, 3hrs 36min, can't complain!

Cheers Martin

Super Moderator

Martin, if you're looking to do the BG this year then you need to do some long days (at least a leg of the Round) and soon. Your current training might get you round Borrowdale or the Three Peaks but looks short of climb to me. 40miles and 10,000ft per week for 12weeks doesn't guarantee success but gives you a decent chance all things being equal

Hi Derby Tup,

Yes this is just the core training for two more weeks,

I have planned in long days, 2 legs at a time, to get out for longer periods, have a rouet around Thorpe Cloud for more local stuff which i can do 25m/10,000 + Ft, but the climbs are not long enough!
    The idea is to recce legs during April, each weekend, upping miles and ft,
    Just wanted to get core fitness right before looking to transfer to the route,

all advice is really very welcome! Thanks

Just trying to also get some support together!

Super Moderator

Good luck with training and drumming up support!

2 legs (any 2 legs!) will be hard first time you do them :closed: