Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hi folks,

Done my first run on Sunday - legs still aching today

Going to invest in proper shoes. Have spent a couple of days browsing this forum and have ruled it down to the Walsh shoes, Adidas Kanadia or Mizuno Wave Harriers which are all similar prices.

I like the look of the walsh ones but I reckon some of the stuff i'm going to do will include fireroads so will these end up hurting my feet? also, what is the difference in the walsh models i.e extreme, pd elite, etc.? had a look on the walsh website but perhaps it;s just me but i couldn't really find out what the differences were - there's only a couple of quid in the price and the colour is different but i quite like the look of the blue and yellow ones

Perhaps i'll start with the Adidas or Mizuno - they could do for bad weather runs in the park?

Finally, are there many folks here from Central Scotland? My local hills are the Campsie Fells - that's where I went on Sunday - tried to get up Cort-Ma-Law from the Clachan car park - didn't make it all the way lol!

cheers:thumbup:

Re: New Member

welcome Granty

there's certainly a couple of Forumites at least up your way I might be up near BlairAthol (If the sun's going to shine) on Saturday

Welcome,
    It's hard to tell you which shoes to go for now you've already narrowed it down so far. A lot depends on your feet (to state the obvious perhaps). All the ones you suggest are good. I've never actually worn Walshes myself so can't say much but they have a great reputation. I tried a pair on once years ago but they were simply too narrow for my liking (hence my comment on it depending on your feet). That was back in the days when there was only one model. If you're looking at the elite or extreme I would think your hunch that they may be uncomfortable for use on fireroads or runs in the park is true, and such surfaces will probably wear the studs down pretty quickly. I've seen a Walsh Spirit (I think) which looks more like the cross between fell-trail shoe you maybe want, but never tried it on. I've had both Kanadias and Harriers and like them both in terms of comfort and grip (they're not out and out fell shoes but it sounds like you want more of an aggressive trail shoe which is where I'd place them). The only downside on the Kanadias is that both shoes on both pairs I've had have split after not many miles on both sides of each shoe along where you flex your foot. Not terminal (I've probably run another 400 miles in them since they split) but hardly what you want on relatively new shoes. That was version 2 and I think they've modified where the overlays are on the upper (which may well resolve the problem) in more recent versions but it would be worth taking a close look. No negatives that I remember with the Harriers but I was wearing them in tropical African conditions not typical British muddy fell ones and didn't have them their full lifespan before they were stolen. Best thing, if possible, may be to go into a shop that stocks both and simply try them on and go with the one that suits you feet best/feel comfortable, stable, etc.
    .... Not sure if any of that's helpful or rambling comments, sorry, it's been an intense evening, off to bed.

thank you both for the replies - useful advice re. the shoes - I suppose it all comes down to common sense - try before you buy lol!

I'm coming round to the idea of Mudclaws - a couple of blokes in my bike club have strongly recommended them but they are a bit dearer so we'll see if Santa thinks i've been good this year or maybe a pair of walsh and a pair of Kanadias for not much more than a pair of mudclaws - that could be an option.

Either way, will get something later in the week as I plan to head back into the Campsies on Saturday morning.

Cheers!

New Balance 840s are a good all rounder.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Hmm, those look very nice but everywhere seems to be out of stock of them.

I tried the Mizunos on in the shop today but they didn't feel right for me. The only other one I tried was a Speedcross 2 but it was too small - despite being a half size too small it still felt comfier than the Mizuno strangely enough

I may just take a punt on some Quechua ones in Decathlon for £35 - i've bought quechua gear before (rucksack for use on cycle commute) and it was cheap as chips but fantastic quality.

Can't really go too far wrong at that price.

Thanks!

Oh well, I took the plunge and ordered a pair of NB 101's over the phone from the lovely Tricia at the NB outlet Shap Shop. £20 plus £4.50 p+p - can't go wrong - as a canny Scot I do love a bargain

btw - they've got 50% off everything RRP - i've no connection with NB, just thought some folks might like to know

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    Hmm, those look very nice but everywhere seems to be out of stock of them.
    I may just take a punt on some Quechua ones in Decathlon for £35 - i've bought quechua gear before (rucksack for use on cycle commute) and it was cheap as chips but fantastic quality.

Can't really go too far wrong at that price.
    I wouldn't bother, you'll be on your ass.

I made the same mistake! (The sizing is a bit weird at Decathlon too, I normally find it very easy to find shoes that fit, but not there).

Your 101's may be better, although that sole does not look particularly aggressive. I would think they've not used much rubber to lighten the weight.
    I note also they are for a neutral gait. Most people 'pronate' a bit. There's plenty of info about pronation on the net, you don't need to get very in-depth, but if you have an idea about what your gait is like it will help you make an informed choice about your footwear. Possibly your gait will demand more support than these neutral shoes give (if you pronate more than just a bit), in which case frequent use will be uncomfortable and you'll be more prone to injury.

If you haven't tried 'pure fell' shoes on, you might be in for a shock (I was). They're as unforgiving as football boots!
    There's no way I could wear them, I run far too heavy.

thanks joester. what are your shoes of choice?

I reckon those NB will not be ideal for the Campsie fells after all - the Campsies are very steep to get up on the top but once you are up there it is a boggy morass. However, for under 25 quid they may do me for running on hard pack in the park when the weather is bad. If not, they will make a nice casual trainer for the summer for strolling about.

I think they'll be better than the Saucony Victory I used last week which have hardly any grip at all and I only fell three or four times but they'll get another run out on Saturday hopefully as the 101s don't arrive until Monday:wink:. Saturday's plan of action will be to do Tomtain and Garrell hill at the East end of the range - which are nowhere near as steep as the other side where I was last week so hopefully i'll manage to keep upright and my legs won't burn for four days afterwards

I sorta intend to pick up something else as well - Royles have speedcross 2s in my size for £60 so for a combined price of £85 I could get them and the 101s.