Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great fell races...

Re: Great fell races...

Jura nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Old County Tops, without a doubt. Especially if the clag is down and you've got some navigating to do!.
    Even nicer when you start in bad weather and run in to better as you go round.
    Jura just has to take it for me, but after that Langdale and 3 Shires are about equal - simple classics, not too long, difficult enough to be challenging, especially in bad weather and plenty of variety.

Kilnsey, same as Burnsall, but with abseiling on the descent.

Good show as well.:thumbup:

rs2315.

Kinder Downfall for me.
    ...and Mount Famine for the mental start.

How about the Saunders? 2 Days playing in the Lakes and a bar at the overnight camp. 'Qualiteee'

Quote Originally Posted by Old Whippet View Post
    And what can beat a mid week affair, with 50 or so like minded folk getting together after work in the middle of nowhere and having a lung-busting run around a hill that nobody has heard of? Wonderful.
    I've only been doing this for the last 3 years so I'm not sure I'm really qualified to comment ... but ... this, for me, is the heart and lungs of my (peak district based) experience of fell running. The mid-week summer evening village races - organised and marshalled by villagers, raising a bit of money for something local; preferably starting and finishing at the pub where kids sit on the wall to cheer you in; a mixture of keen club racers, a handful of first-timers, the odd plodder or two, and some amazing wirey 60-year olds; an amazing view at the top - made all the more amazing because you're not in a world-renowned beauty site. Hathersage, Grindleford, Bamford, Stoney Middletone ... they might not be awesome classics but, for me, they encapsulate it all ... can't wait for the summer

slight over-use of "amazing" there....

and I've no idea where that e came from at the end of Stoney Middleton.

Not done too many of the short classics but Grasmere was great fun..

Quote Originally Posted by hat View Post
    I've only been doing this for the last 3 years so I'm not sure I'm really qualified to comment ... but ... this, for me, is the heart and lungs of my (peak district based) experience of fell running. The mid-week summer evening village races - organised and marshalled by villagers, raising a bit of money for something local; preferably starting and finishing at the pub where kids sit on the wall to cheer you in; a mixture of keen club racers, a handful of first-timers, the odd plodder or two, and some amazing wirey 60-year olds; an amazing view at the top - made all the more amazing because you're not in a world-renowned beauty site. Hathersage, Grindleford, Bamford, Stoney Middletone ... they might not be awesome classics but, for me, they encapsulate it all ... can't wait for the summer
    Short summer evening races are wonderful. For me they ARE summer. I was once driving home to Wales from Nottingham and I went via the peak district. Out of nowhere a handwritten sign 'fell race' pointed off the road into a field. Without hesitation I pulled in not knowing where I was and whether I had any kit. I happened to have an old pair of fellshoes, a cotton t shirt and some shorts. So I got out of my suit and into this cobbled together gear, scraped 3 quid together and ran, not knowing how far it was going to be or where I was headed. It was a stunning summer evening and a terrific bonus race. Thank you Stoney Middleton :-)You can't beat Welsh Harrier's series of Clywdian Trots for the best in laid back and fun atmosphered summer evening races just a short hop over the border from Chester.

Stoney Middleton, possibly not the best Peak District race but good fun nevertheless.

For me it would be Edale Country day, short classic race finishing in the show field. Route visible from the field for most of the way, beer tent, tea and cakes, burgers, sheep dogs herding geese, what more could you want. Oh and the sun usually shines.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run