Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To race or not ?

Re: To race or not ?

I like racing better than training, although i empathise with several on this thread; the pre race nerves especially. I've only been fell racing (in fact running in general) for about 6 years so I'm still on an upward curve as far as results go. I can see a day when the curve turns downwards but I'm not going to go gracefully; there are guys in my club over ten years older than me that would regularly spank my arse on an AL race and i see no reason why i can't be as good as them if i put the effort into training.

Of course, that brings me to training! I love going for a trot on the fells, enjoying the view etc and at the moment that suits my training aims just nicely (I'm building up to the Fellsman).

Trouble is, going for a 'trot around' is actually a fairly poor way of training that doesn't make you faster. Hard hill intervals, threshold runs, agility drills, core strength training, speed drills etc are what make you faster and they can be hard to get motivated for.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    I like racing better than training, although i empathise with several on this thread; the pre race nerves especially. I've only been fell racing (in fact running in general) for about 6 years so I'm still on an upward curve as far as results go. I can see a day when the curve turns downwards but I'm not going to go gracefully; there are guys in my club over ten years older than me that would regularly spank my arse on an AL race and i see no reason why i can't be as good as them if i put the effort into training.

Of course, that brings me to training! I love going for a trot on the fells, enjoying the view etc and at the moment that suits my training aims just nicely (I'm building up to the Fellsman).

Trouble is, going for a 'trot around' is actually a fairly poor way of training that doesn't make you faster. Hard hill intervals, threshold runs, agility drills, core strength training, speed drills etc are what make you faster and they can be hard to get motivated for.
    You'll probably find 'having a trot around' (as long as the trots are long and plentiful ) is the very best kind of 'training' for the fellsman - being fast up Ingleborough then Whernside then Gragareth and then Great Coum is all well and good for the first 15 or 16 miles.... but the next 45 miles might be a problem . I do a heck of a lot of trotting around by the way, never once thinking of it as training in the slightest, and think that I am actually getting faster and fitter in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    You'll probably find 'having a trot around' (as long as the trots are long and plentiful ) is the very best kind of 'training' for the fellsman
    Er, think that's what i said?

Or are you agreeing with me? I'm not used to that happening on this forum, might have missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Er, think that's what i said?

Or are you agreeing with me? I'm not used to that happening on this forum, might have missed it!
    Soz I think I misread what you said

The fact that I'm so slow limits my desire to race .

I just enjoy turning up to run things.
    Run today, for you might not be able tomorrow.