Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of 2011

Re: Review of 2011

High point is our run at the Pennine Bridleway relay, i was probably running the best that i had done for a long while. Low point falling while out running 5 days later and breaking my elbow.

Sporting highlight of 2011 definitely the day on the Isle of Man watching John Mcguiness win the Superbike TT

Quote Originally Posted by Truck View Post
    I’m aiming to drink much harder, eat curry for every meal and win all the races I run in during 2012… Wish me luck )
    now that's what I like. achievable yet fun to do goals!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

The year started badly with an injury and then I had a brief period when things started to improve in late February and March peaking at the Edale Skyline before it started going down hill again due to more injuries for the rest of this year.
    Here's hoping 2012 is much better

This is what I posted last January:
    1. Top 50% in the Saunders Scafell & LAMM A mountain marathons (including DNFs & MPs)
    - Success in the Saunders (12 out of 28), failure in the LAMM (17 out of 23)
    2. Run the Calderdale Way in under 12 hours (held over from 2010 - I didn't find time to attempt this one).
    - I had a go as I was going down with a virus: DNF. I'll have to have another go in 2012.
    3. PB in the White Peak Walk (failed in 2010)
    - Success of a sort: 4 mins faster than ever before, but the course was slightly shorter
    4. Under 2:30 in the Sandstone Trail A race (failed in 2010)
    - DNS due to illness.
    5. Top 3 V50 in the Runfurther ultra series (a big ask, but just about possible if the rest of you don't enter)
    - Fail; I didn't run the last 2 races I'd entered due to illness
    6. Joss Naylor Challenge in under 15 hours (can't believe I'm going public with this one, but I've got to give it a go)
    - Yes yes yes: 13:56 & the one that meant the most to me!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Noonstone, Y3Ps, Long Mynd, Duddon, Loughrigg Silver Howe, Whittle Pike, Sedburgh, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, Borrowdale, 3 Shires, Langdale; but the highlight of the year was a day in Wasdale with Joss Naylor. Unfortunately I am getting closer and closer to the back of the field ......

Had a great winter, lots of long snowy runs and started feeling good on longer distances. Enjoyed Trollers Trot and Wensleydale Wander and then had a great Three Peaks...all looking good, felt better than ever before even got a pb in a 10k road race (sorry for swearing) which cheered me up as I was 40 this year and everyone told me I'd have to get used to getting slower, not that I paid much attention to that. Then I badly sprained my ankle and was out for most of the summer. I'm slowly getting back to form but have a long way to go and I've discovered that I am probably the clumsiest person I know so am constantly nursing some bruise, scrape or ache which doesn't fit well with my image of myself as invincible. However, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I enjoyed Langdale Horseshoe in a masochistic way and have just limped in at the Wensleydale Wedge so I feel that I'm ready for some good running next year.

Got my sights set on a long distance personal challenge for next May, an incredible route & beautiful countryside, but I won't jinx it by talking about it now.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I'm somewhat shocked that fellow Pony, Daztheslug has completely erased the memory of my one and only fell race of the year. The 'Classic' Cat & Fiddle Down-and-up Relay in July. A top 7 finish in the V90 category for the Fell Ponies 'A' team.

Joking apart, that was a great race and I hope Noel organises it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I'm somewhat shocked that fellow Pony, Daztheslug has completely erased the memory of my one and only fell race of the year. The 'Classic' Cat & Fiddle Down-and-up Relay in July. A top 7 finish in the V90 category for the Fell Ponies 'A' team.

Joking apart, that was a great race and I hope Noel organises it again.
    Cheers Dom. I would have thought it was the highlight of all 67 entrants' years

It'll definitely be on next year.

Worst year as a runner ever. Crap times on all my races. All thanks to baby arriving in January and getting a job which I love. Wouldn't change this year a bit.

My targets in last year's thread were:

1. Get out running without overly agravating the better half by leaving her holding the baby
    2. Knock a decent chunk off my Edale Skyline time - ideally down to 3hr30
    3. Top half finish (and no embarrasing detours) in the Lake District Mountain Trial
    4. Get round the Kinder Dozen, Kinder Killer and possibly 15 Trigs routes

Injury Free also!

Managed no1, failed miserably at 2 as I got food poisoning and couldn't keep any breakfast down. Also made the silly choice of not taking the direct route across grindsbrook (due to being on the lanky and fearless side, as well as slow on the flat, this route is a fe minutes faster for me).

Failed no 3 as my brother went and got married that day. Also failed no 4, but managed Round Rotherham in under my wildly optimistic 10 hour target so that makes up to some extent.