Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Review of 2011

Re: Review of 2011

Last years target thread is here http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...035#post384035 for anyone who wants it

Just checked mine. Managed to do none of that. Strep throat infection in March did for me. Spent a month on anti-biotics. Spent the next couple of months getting some fitness back. Seem to have picked up IBS since spending so long on the meds. Signed up for the OMM in august got some fitness back, and then got injured. And then at the beginning of November my wife gave birth to our second child. That said I've had some nice days out over the last year, and I have a beautiful baby girl so I can't really complain.

I'm picking up the Ambleside V40 ladies trophy this year. That's a target I didn't dare to hope for, after a broken kneecap took me out May - Dec 2010

Been a decent year for me. Achieved some long held goals i.e. Completed the Lakes Long/Super Long Classics with Ennerdale and Wasdale. Felt reasonably comfortable, if slow, doing them too!!! PB at Three Peaks. Managed to drag myself around the Bullock Smithy (first event over 30 miles!) and another long held goal achieved. Don't race as much as I'd like due to family/work, but happy with where I am. BGR attempt next year....I hope!! Plus I'd like to do more of the long classics. Welsh 1000m and Jura to 'tick off'.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I'm picking up the Ambleside V40 ladies trophy this year...

Tha'll 'ave to pick thi'sen up before yer picks yer trophy up

Thank you for giving me a laugh Wharfeego, I'd wondered where those piccies got to

Banned

Just had a quick check of my stats and performances for the year and I'm H-A-P-P-Y.

Injury free was the key (and I'm thankfull)

71 training runs
    60 gym sessions, cross training
    46 bike rides
    22 races to include 13/15 Bofra's + Scarfell Pike & Pen y gent amongst the others.

Dropped weight from 14st to 12st 7lb and have kept it there since April

Racing tomorrow at Gravy 5 and last for year will be the Stoop for me.

I would settle for the above every year. Cross training and bike has been the key for me.

My running year has been one of going very quickly between good and bad. The highlight has to be getting picked for the FRA relays though, that day just couldn't have been better; and by the way, who the hell are Hunters Bogtrotters?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I've not really listed and enumerated my targets/success/failures for the year, but I've got to say I've thoroughly enjoyed my fell running year, which began for me with the 2010 Tour of Pendle, my first fell race for twelve years.

Although I've considered myself a fell runner for many years previously, I never really did that many races.

So I've been throwing myself with gay abandon at all these events in the FRA calendar and Runfurther series that I'd never done before:
    The Anglezarke Amble
    Winter Hill
    Wuthering Hike
    The Three Peaks (the proper Yorkshire one)
    Brecon 40
    Henderson's End
    Osmotherley Phoenix
    Grisedale Horseshoe
    Langdale Horseshoe
    Sandstone Trail
    Great Whernside
    The FRA relays
    The Lakeland 100 - DNF (unfinished business there)

Plus lots and lots of BG reccies and the BG itself in June.

The problem only problem was that there was too much to try to fit in!

And, though I turned 50 in 2011, I've been setting loads of PBs because I've never done any of these events before!

Previously quite a loner in my fell running, I've realised what a community there is and I've enjoyed seeing many faces over and over again and learning a few names and having a chat and I've really enjoyed putting my natural reserve aside and cheering other runners on.

I joined Lostock AC which has a really keen group of fell runners and so I'm looking forward to being steered by them towards a few more new races next year.

2011 - vintage!

Funny year with ups and downs (no pun intended!). Started the year unfit and got fit fast thanks to spending every weekend in the Lakes doing BG reccies. Did Yorkshire 3 peaks albeit slowly but enjoyed it (not a word, Mark L - he saw me at the finish!) and Yr Aran, Moelwyns, Llantysilio, Llangynhafal and Carneddau in the worst conditions ever. Supported a few BG attempts, too, and made lots of new friends. Just as I was getting fitter than I had been in years (did three legs of the BG - 1, 4 and 5 - supporting some friends) had a fall 2 weeks later and ended up being helicoptered off Blencathra. Couple of fractures and something called CRPS which is ongoing but I'm getting back into running slowly - VERY slowly. Have done Clwydian, Rhobell Fawr and Penmaenmawr last month and am just starting to feel like a runner again. Next year on the list are Welsh 1000s, Excalibur Marathon in the Clwydians, Mont Blanc Marathon, 3 peaks and ...... get that BG done (should have been July this year)