Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail versus Cat C fell race

Trail versus Cat C fell race

25 years ago, there was no such thing as trail running....except there was. It was called a Cat C fell race! Now, with the advent of the TRA, there is a significant overlap between trail and cat C races in terms of difficulty, terrain etc. But, unlike fell races, the TRA offers no ascent/distance categorisation of its races even though it advises that such information is provided in race details.

So, is it time for the FRA to engage with TRA to agree an acceptable and distinct definition of what constitutes a trail race versus a cat C fell race?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Re: Trail versus Cat C fell ra

I think you'd struggle to find a consensus and there would always be a big grey area of overlap. I guess the key distinction could be that a Trail Race sticks exclusively to recognise trails/ROW whereas a Fell Race has sections across open ground... a bit contrived though... do we really need a distinction?

yes, I think so. We have been considering what goes into the WFRA race calendar and what races should insured under WFRA auspices and it's a grey area we have been debating. Just thought I'd toss it to a wider audience.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Fair point, maybe drop the Cat C categorisation completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    25 years ago, there was no such thing as trail running....except there was. It was called a Cat C fell race! Now, with the advent of the TRA, there is a significant overlap between trail and cat C races in terms of difficulty, terrain etc. But, unlike fell races, the TRA offers no ascent/distance categorisation of its races even though it advises that such information is provided in race details.

So, is it time for the FRA to engage with TRA to agree an acceptable and distinct definition of what constitutes a trail race versus a cat C fell race?
    No because the grey area keeps going... Look at the 3 peaks? There's many 'fell races' in the flatter areas, especially the peak and Yorkshire which are effectively trail races..

Anyone seen the video footage of the Cumbria Cross Country Champs??

http://www.athleticos.org/coverage/2...s-2011-Seniors

yes, I think so. We have been considering what goes into the WFRA race calendar and what races should insured under WFRA auspices and it's a grey area we have been debating. Just thought I'd toss it to a wider audience.
    TBH I just think any off road event.. does it really matter if you list the trail races like Llyn Alwen?

If the organiser wants it in, how many traily races are in Wales anyway.

Look at Sarn Helen? You included that in the Welsh Fell Running Champs two years or so back. Really good race, which I enjoyed, but if that's not a trail race I don't know what is... so I think you already set that precedent... That was fully marked, significant proportions on road, I think all? on major trails, few if any steep climbs?

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Fair point, maybe drop the Cat C categorisation completely.
    That would be silly. Cat C fell races often allow a good base for novices to learn about racing on the fells. Some longer races also drop into the C Cat, e.g. Wharfedale and Yorkshireman full marathons, yet both the halves are B category. Both follow similar types of terrain. Is one a fell race and the other a trail race simply because the longer races don't quite have the same climb per mile? No. Both follow routes across open moorland and most people I would guess would class them both as fell races.

Anyway, what does it really matter? A race is a race and each has it's own unique challenges, be it a fell or 'trail' race - cat C races may be "easier" in terms of climbing, but may offer other challenges. It's like comparing an S to an L race - the former will be importantly dependent on speed and the latter, endurance.

Sometimes I get quite annoyed by certain fell runners who "sneer" on anything less than an AL or not in a particular part of the country (e.g. Lakes) - just because they put a premium on endurance or certain technical challenges. I bumped into some fell runners in Langdale in the summer and just because I hadn't done an AL in the lakes or a BG, then they thought I wasn't a "proper" fell runner. A rather blinkered viewpoint in my opinion. Is Usain Bolt any less of an athlete because he 'only' runs 100 or 200m?

Does it really matter? Those races that consider themselves "fell races" will apply for insurance through WFRA and those that consider themselves trail races will apply elsewhere. If an unsuitable race applies for insurance through WFRA, then you have to say to them that they need to go through UKA or TRA instead. As for the calendar, if a RO asks to be included on the calendar and it's a relevant race for the Welsh Fell running community (irrespective of insurance through WFRA), then it goes in and you simply note that insurance is through UKA or whomever, as is done on the FRA calendar.

Perhaps the biggest/only difference between a trail race and many cat c fell races is the likely entry fee?