Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail versus Cat C fell race

Re: Trail versus Cat C fell ra

I just figured that from a race organisation point of view calling something a trail race might attract more competitors than calling it a fell race, especially from the non-fell running fraternity. I think fell races do fix an image in peoples minds, one that could put mamby pamby types off maybe

I know the route of the Settle Loop 'tough trail' race really http://www.settleloop.org.uk/ and the first half especially is fell running pure and simple and the whole route is largely at a 400 metres plus height, making for grim going if the weathers bad. Its a fell race really but they just call it something different to be different and attract runners

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Sometimes I get quite annoyed by certain fell runners who "sneer" on anything less than an AL or not in a particular part of the country (e.g. Lakes) - just because they put a premium on endurance or certain technical challenges. I bumped into some fell runners in Langdale in the summer and just because I hadn't done an AL in the lakes or a BG, then they thought I wasn't a "proper" fell runner. A rather blinkered viewpoint in my opinion. Is Usain Bolt any less of an athlete because he 'only' runs 100 or 200m?
    You get that... you also get the 'soft road runner' type comments.. but that only comes from those who haven't tried to run quick road races/times/marathons and realise that on the roads you can't hide...

I can get by on long AL's from just experience and relative fitness and do OK.. I won the Peris like that.. on a road marathon, there's no hiding.. its pure fitness.. have you trained hard enough, can you keep pushing.. personally I don't think there's a harder race than a flat fast 10k... attrociously hard...

Its definiately nothing to do with the toughness of the actual racing but its really all about the brokenness of the ground, the height, the steepness, the chance of getting lost and/or going the wrong way and of course the weather

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Sometimes I get quite annoyed by certain fell runners who "sneer" on anything less than an AL or not in a particular part of the country (e.g. Lakes) - just because they put a premium on endurance or certain technical challenges. I bumped into some fell runners in Langdale in the summer and just because I hadn't done an AL in the lakes or a BG, then they thought I wasn't a "proper" fell runner. A rather blinkered viewpoint in my opinion. Is Usain Bolt any less of an athlete because he 'only' runs 100 or 200m?
    Me too - and the sneeriness doesn't occur just about distance, but also along the lines of what Wheeze has brought up: whether something 'is fell' or not.
    So despite something like the Beachy Head Marathon or the Trionium Picnic Marathon being sterner tests of athleticism than the majority of fell races (and probably run by, on average, fitter people), you'll get people on here and in fell circles rubbishing them.

Looking at the FRA calendar for next year it would appear that most races with 'trail' in their title are actually Cat B races - Lakeland Trails, Settle Loop, Great Westmorland (which does have some pure 'off-trail' fell on it) etc so it appears that it is not as simple as Trail v Cat C.

I've ran at least one BS in S Yorkshire (no names!) which I always wondered how it got in the FRA calendar as it has absolutely no 'fell' - all being wide stony track, field paths following walls and road - I'm sure there are others too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Me too - and the sneeriness doesn't occur just about distance, but also along the lines of what Wheeze has brought up: whether something 'is fell' or not.
    So despite something like the Beachy Head Marathon or the Trionium Picnic Marathon being sterner tests of athleticism than the majority of fell races (and probably run by, on average, fitter people), you'll get people on here and in fell circles rubbishing them.
    Interestingly I recall a friend who now lives in the southwest once mentioning the Grizzly and wondering how the top fellrunners would get on in that race - don't think any have done it but would definitely be interesting to see the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    You get that... you also get the 'soft road runner' type comments.. but that only comes from those who haven't tried to run quick road races/times/marathons and realise that on the roads you can't hide...

I can get by on long AL's from just experience and relative fitness and do OK.. I won the Peris like that.. on a road marathon, there's no hiding.. its pure fitness.. have you trained hard enough, can you keep pushing.. personally I don't think there's a harder race than a flat fast 10k... attrociously hard...
    agreed, exactly what I was trying to say. And trail is similar to road in that it's typically all runnable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Perhaps the biggest/only difference between a trail race and many cat c fell races is the likely entry fee?
    You'd have thought so...

I've just entered Charnwood Hills, Cat C, and it's £14 for unafilliated. Not slagging the race off as I've not done it yet, but it's a lot more than every other fell race I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    You'd have thought so...

I've just entered Charnwood Hills, Cat C, and it's £14 for unafilliated. Not slagging the race off as I've not done it yet, but it's a lot more than every other fell race I've done.
    There's absoutely no valid reason for them to be charging an unattached levy if it's registered with the FRA.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    There's absoutely no valid reason for them to be charging an unattached levy if it's registered with the FRA.
    Must admit, it did strike me as odd. One thing I like about fell races is that annoying levy is never part of the picture. Always feels like a con.

If my other half hasn't already posted the cheque I might re-write it and say I'm a member of the FRA. That should do.