Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail versus Cat C fell race

Re: Trail versus Cat C fell ra

I thought races registered with the FRA were not allowed to charge an unattached levy.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

It'd be good to get a definitive answer on this if someone knows. I'd rather not pay £2 more than I have to!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    25 years ago, there was no such thing as trail running....except there was. It was called a Cat C fell race! Now, with the advent of the TRA, there is a significant overlap between trail and cat C races in terms of difficulty, terrain etc. But, unlike fell races, the TRA offers no ascent/distance categorisation of its races even though it advises that such information is provided in race details.
    Over the last couple of years I have been trying on behalf of the FRA to make a distinction between Fell and Trail races in terms of the type of events accepted for the FRA Calendar. The FRA is now applying its definitions of what constitutes a Fell Race more stringently than has perhaps been the case in the past when it concentrated on the race meeting our minimum requirement of 100ft climb per mile. We now require new events to contain some "genuine fell terrain" as stated on the Organiser's Page of the FRA website http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/organisers.php However this is not an exact science and there will always be grey areas. I should stress however that we continue to provide Permits for events which have been accepted in the past.

When I turn down an event for the FRA Calendar I often comment that I consider the event would be better categorised as a Trail Race and suggest the organiser approaches the TRA for a Permit. Organisers of such races whose clubs are affiliated to England Athletics or one of the other Home Country bodies can alternatively apply for a Multiterrain License and associated UKA insurance from RunBritain the body which Licenses Road Races.

Quote Originally Posted by FRAFixtures View Post
    Over the last couple of years I have been trying on behalf of the FRA to make a distinction between Fell and Trail races in terms of the type of events accepted for the FRA Calendar. The FRA is now applying its definitions of what constitutes a Fell Race more stringently than has perhaps been the case in the past when it concentrated on the race meeting our minimum requirement of 100ft climb per mile. We now require new events to contain some "genuine fell terrain" as stated on the Organiser's Page of the FRA website http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/organisers.php However this is not an exact science and there will always be grey areas. I should stress however that we continue to provide Permits for events which have been accepted in the past.

When I turn down an event for the FRA Calendar I often comment that I consider the event would be better categorised as a Trail Race and suggest the organiser approaches the TRA for a Permit. Organisers of such races whose clubs are affiliated to England Athletics or one of the other Home Country bodies can alternatively apply for a Multiterrain License and associated UKA insurance from RunBritain the body which Licenses Road Races.
    This seems a very sensible approach - and an excellent job you do as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Me too - and the sneeriness doesn't occur just about distance, but also along the lines of what Wheeze has brought up: whether something 'is fell' or not.
    So despite something like the Beachy Head Marathon or the Trionium Picnic Marathon being sterner tests of athleticism than the majority of fell races (and probably run by, on average, fitter people), you'll get people on here and in fell circles rubbishing them.
    I call a touch of reverse sneering . I think the Beachy Head Marathon is open to walkers as well as runners but I guess it appears that there are fitter people there just because of the size of the field. In general I find that I can get in the top 15% of the finishers in a road race (more runners yes but more joggers too) whilst its more like the top 50% for a fell race. I've no idea one way or the other but I'm guessing if I entered the BHM I'd at least scrape into the top 50%
    Last edited by Stolly; 08-12-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I call a trouch of reverse sneering . I think the Beachy Head Marathon is open to walkers as well as runners but I guess it appears that there are fitter people there just because of the size of the field. In general I find that I can get in the top 15% of the finishers in a road race (more runners yes but more joggers too) whilst its more like the top 50% for a fell race. I've no idea one way or the other but I'm guessing if I entered the BHM I'd at least scrape into the top 50%
    That's my take on it too, based on experience. Road/trail races seem to attract a far higher proportion of fun runners/people out for a bit of a jolly. Obviously the ones at the front are extremely fit, but you might finish 30th out of a 1000 in a 10k, and 50th out of 300 in a fell race, for example.

ps, still hoping for an answer to the 'unafilliated levy' question if anyone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    That's my take on it too, based on experience. Road/trail races seem to attract a far higher proportion of fun runners/people out for a bit of a jolly. Obviously the ones at the front are extremely fit, but you might finish 30th out of a 1000 in a 10k, and 50th out of 300 in a fell race, for example.
    I do a lot of trail, road and fell races. My best positional finishes in races (obviously not including Parkruns) are as follows:
    2nd/117 - Great Langdale Trail 20k (trail) - v. small/weak field (new race)
    16th/118 - Round Hill (fell)
    17th/189 - Laxton 10k (road)
    17th/57 - Abbey Anniversary (fell)
    18th/257 - Otley 10 (road)
    20th/254 - Yorkshireman 1/2 (fell)

And my worst:
    628th/677 - 3 Peaks (fell) - died completely
    183rd/1936 - Worksop Half (road)
    159th/1561 - Brass Monkey Half (road)
    152nd/383 (+200in challenge) - Lakeland Trails Marathon (trail) - too hot!
    110th/742 - Thirsk 10 (road)

So, it's not necessarily true that you're likely to finish higher up in a road race.
    Last edited by fozzy; 07-12-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added in totals in each race

And my worst placing compared to size of the field have all come in the West Yorks XC series! 105/221, 77/157 and 102/188

Think what I was saying is more applicable to proper fell runs....:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    It'd be good to get a definitive answer on this if someone knows. I'd rather not pay £2 more than I have to!
    This quote from Mr Chairman clarifies things (almost)

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...187#post324187
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run