Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Protein Debate

Re: Today's Protein Debate

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I've read it. This society has taken a 'play it safe' approach which ends up being nothing of the sort. Proper isotope tracer experiments have shown a requirement of 30 grams of protein a day. That is 1/5 of that recommended at the upper level by this society. So their position is 'play it safe' and take 5 times more than proper experiments demonstrate. It is nonsense.

Any athlete taking 1 gram per pound of weight in protein will find they have little appetite for the important fuel - carbohydrate. Their bodies will then be forced in to converting the excessive protein in to fat, sugar and some toxic compounds that make them smell.......... very badly indeed.

I noticed in that paper that some researchers believe that athletes actually require less protein than sedentary individuals. I think this is plausible because of the adaptions taking place during exercise.

As far as I'm concerned if your carbohydrate consumption is high enough your protein requirements will be very low. Carbohydrates are the fundamental muscle building fuels and are far more important than over dosing on protein.
    Thanks Chris, that's the type of answer i was hoping for in the first place. Wouldn't it be fair to say from the recommendation of 30g protein per day that we are all overdosing? As an average chicken breast contains about 30g.

What would your daily macro recommendation be?

And can you point me in the direction of these research papers you speak of so I can take a look at them.

Ta
    Last edited by The devil's own; 11-12-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Is 30g right for everyone? No adaptation for size / weight / gender? And can I take it that, as I DON'T smell bad I am not currently eating too much protein?
    Last edited by Alexandra; 11-12-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

As far as I'm concerned if your carbohydrate consumption is high enough your protein requirements will be very low. Carbohydrates are the fundamental muscle building fuels and are far more important than over dosing on protein.
    Chris, i usually follow up a run with a proshake to help my muscle repair process (24g per shake). I've never heard of carbs contributing to muscle build before, i thought they were stored by the body as a fuel source in whatever form. Are you saying that i could increase muscle build by carb loading? If so how? I only run short distance so i have no current carb loading 'program'.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master

Got you all thinking now hey?

Got you all thinking now hey?
    Yes, it's lack of power that lets me down!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Thanks Chris, that's the type of answer i was hoping for in the first place. Wouldn't it be fair to say from the recommendation of 30g protein per day that we are all overdosing? As an average chicken breast contains about 30g.

What would your daily macro recommendation be?

And can you point me in the direction of these research papers you speak of so I can take a look at them.

Ta
    If you are eating 5 times the amount of protein than is necessary, then I'd say that was overdosing, although that may not be the appropriate term. My macro recommendation would be around 30 grams for a 70kg man on a mixed diet.

If you look in the Guinness book of sports medicine they say the requirement is as little as 20 grams.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Chris, i usually follow up a run with a proshake to help my muscle repair process (24g per shake). I've never heard of carbs contributing to muscle build before, i thought they were stored by the body as a fuel source in whatever form. Are you saying that i could increase muscle build by carb loading? If so how? I only run short distance so i have no current carb loading 'program'.
    Diet is secondary. If you aren't training hard enough to stimulate growth and resting long enough so growth can take place, then no diet in the world is going to make any difference. Anyway if you were building a brick wall it would take energy to move the bricks into place. Some of that energy comes from sugar. Likewise inside the body the building blocks of greater muscular size require energy to move them into place.

I'm not too bothered about adults who are foolish enough to buy into the 'one gram per pound' philosophy; they get what they deserve for listening to iron heads and ignoring nutritional science. I think though that it is good to guide youngsters toward rational advice, so they can achieve their fitness goals safely and without wasting the little money they have.
    Christopher, I'm trying to bulk up (aged 20) and all the advice I've been given is to take on extra protein. My mate's taken it further - he saw some boxer drinking his own piss as part of his training regime so he started drinking his own love juice which he said is high in protein and other nutrients. Would you recommend this?

If not do you have any other suggestions?

I know this is a separate argument - but I'm mystified why anyone involved in endurance sports like fellrunning or cycling would want to bulk up?
    It just adds weight and detracts from endurance performance as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I know this is a separate argument - but I'm mystified why anyone involved in endurance sports like fellrunning or cycling would want to bulk up?
    It just adds weight and detracts from endurance performance as far as I can see.
    If you race then yes it's an issue. However if you don't and just enjoy being out in the hills or on your bike then it's no problem.
    Though Dean Karanzes isn't exactly small

And he does alright
    "That was the night everything changed"