Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Welsh 3000s?

Double Welsh 3000s?

Thinking of challenges for next year - has anyone done a double Welsh 3000?

I know a triple has been done sometime ago in sub24. Has anyone recorded a time for the double?
    To count would it be allowed to start from Crib Goch or would it have to be Snowdon?
    SNS or NSN - which direction?

So many questions....
    What do people think?

Re: Double Welsh 3000s?

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    Thinking of challenges for next year - has anyone done a double Welsh 3000?

I know a triple has been done sometime ago in sub24. Has anyone recorded a time for the double?
    To count would it be allowed to start from Crib Goch or would it have to be Snowdon?
    SNS or NSN - which direction?

So many questions....
    What do people think?
    If you started at Crib Goch you'd have to visit Snowdon summit twice? Surely better (if starting in the South) to start/finish at Snowdon summit?

official records for the Welsh 3000s start from the top of Snowdon or Foel Fras, I think a different start point would be dodgy if you are after an 'official' record.
    The double has been done a number of times - I supported an unsuccessful attempt in around 1985 (still remember sitting in my mini 850 being battered around in the early hours of the morning waiting for the poor bastards out on the hill, I was on the verge of calling the rescue out when they arrived and abandoned it). From what I remember there was a bit of a 'club' for doublers called the 'Mad Hatters', I think Pete Travis may have had something to do with it. Will do some research and post again. Better go and help the wife with the Xmas dinner now!

You are right in saying that the triple has been done at least once, my understanding is that was under 24hrs, which is gob smacking if true.

Quote Originally Posted by geofpet View Post
    official records for the Welsh 3000s start from the top of Snowdon or Foel Fras, I think a different start point would be dodgy if you are after an 'official' record.
    The double has been done a number of times - I supported an unsuccessful attempt in around 1985 (still remember sitting in my mini 850 being battered around in the early hours of the morning waiting for the poor bastards out on the hill, I was on the verge of calling the rescue out when they arrived and abandoned it). From what I remember there was a bit of a 'club' for doublers called the 'Mad Hatters', I think Pete Travis may have had something to do with it. Will do some research and post again. Better go and help the wife with the Xmas dinner now!

You are right in saying that the triple has been done at least once, my understanding is that was under 24hrs, which is gob smacking if true.
    Yeah I had a schedule somewhere.. 23 something..

For a record Wyddfa or Foel Fras are the only ones that make sense anyway.. Crib Goch is slower..

I don't think 3 in 24 is that incredible.. 3.5 for the Glyders is pretty much paddy pace;.. so 10.5 on the Glyders.. 1 hr down of snowdon, x 2, 2.5 up,so 4.5 on snowdon.. 15 hrs.. then 3 hrs on the carneddau x 3... I reckon its probably a fairly similar undertaking to the Paddy...

TBH I think a quick 3000ers would be a bigger test of endurance.. how many have gone sub 6, never mind sub 5..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Yeah I had a schedule somewhere.. 23 something..

For a record Wyddfa or Foel Fras are the only ones that make sense anyway.. Crib Goch is slower..

I don't think 3 in 24 is that incredible.. 3.5 for the Glyders is pretty much paddy pace;.. so 10.5 on the Glyders.. 1 hr down of snowdon, x 2, 2.5 up,so 4.5 on snowdon.. 15 hrs.. then 3 hrs on the carneddau x 3... I reckon its probably a fairly similar undertaking to the Paddy...

TBH I think a quick 3000ers would be a bigger test of endurance.. how many have gone sub 6, never mind sub 5..
    At around 21 miles and 10,000ft, a triple 3000s would be at least as hard as a Paddy. In addition there is considerable distance and climb at either end.
    ..."a quick 3000ers would be a bigger test of endurance..." Almost as boring as doing laps! Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    At around 21 miles and 10,000ft, a triple 3000s would be at least as hard as a Paddy. In addition there is considerable distance and climb at either end.
    ..."a quick 3000ers would be a bigger test of endurance..." Almost as boring as doing laps! Yiannis
    More paths though.. much of the carneddau is very fast, the glyders is more runnable than the Paddy Glyders..

I think a fast 3000ers is one of the great challenges, a logical route, true mountain terrain, some proper running sections... hence why its stood for so long as a record..

Quote Originally Posted by geofpet View Post
    official records for the Welsh 3000s start from the top of Snowdon
    I have always thought that was odd! How can starting from the top of Snowdon be considered as doing snowdon! Should it not be the base?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I have always thought that was odd! How can starting from the top of Snowdon be considered as doing snowdon! Should it not be the base?
    It does seem a bit odd but the record has been established between tops.
    Of course, one might ask: where should the "base" be?
    In my 'Snowdon to Pumlumon' challenge I did start and finish at the base, i.e. Pen-y-Pass and Nant-y-Moch. ydt
    Last edited by ydt; 25-12-2011 at 07:33 PM.

'In June 1976 two members of the Long Distance Walkers Association, Neville Tandy and Chris Winn, made a double traverse of the fourteen 3,000 foot peaks but they took over 34 hours, a very leisurely pace.

There was indeed a club, the Mad Hatters, founded by the Rev. Peter Travis, which offered certificates to those who have completed the double traverse within 24 hours. '

Found the above on the gofar site when on about the Paddy & Welsh 24hr challenge
    www.gofar.eclipse.co.uk/gofar%20-%20PBR%20-...

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    It does seem a bit odd but the record has been established between tops.
    Of course, one might ask: where should the "base" be?
    In my 'Snowdon to Pumlumon' challenge I did start and finish at the base, i.e. Pen-y-Pass and Nant-y-Moch. ydt
    Same with the Cuillin though..

Although what was tghe start and finish for the greater cuillin rounds?