Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebay

FellMonster

Re: Tebay

They DQ'd those that missed CP1 at Black Combe last year, and it was championship so chill out till the results appear.....then you can have your fun

Maybe FM, I'm still changing my mind, you read Tim's post and agree, then read the others and agree. Tough call to make, which I wouldn't want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Yeah Grimmer, the more you think about it, on reflection I think you're right. The rules are there. It's harsh but how can they now disqualify future runners for missing CP's?

It's harsh but everyone should run the same race and part of the challenge of fell running is running through all the check points.
    Indeed, a race is, from the compact OED:

noun. 1. a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, etc. to see which is fastest over a set course.

The emphasis is the set course, level playing field, call it what you want. We all go fell running and do our own thing but when we race we should all follow the same instructions as to successful completion.

The lead group went to the checkpoint 2 on the Pete Bland map. If the clag was down I would have done the same thing. It was the way we all recced previously. The checkpoint was different on the race map on the day.

It seems the only fair thing to do is redo the race next week after the Great lakes run (that way I can make up for todays howler..)

Some facts wouldn't go amiss at this point...

The issue arose because on the Harveys race map produced by Pete Bland Sports, the Uldale Head checkpoint (cp2) is shown on the second summit with the cairn, whereas the marshalls were stood 100m further west on the first summit you get to. This is where they have stood for at least the last 5 years so that they can watch the runners approaching. It appears that the discrepancy with the map came about through a genuine error.

These 4 runners cut left below the first summit and one of them told me that they did run to the second summit, and I tend to believe him as he is a genuine guy. He claimed that it was 10-15 seconds quicker than including the first summit too as some of them had tried the variations in a recce.

Can you fault the runners who thought that they were following the route on the map? I personally don't think so. It came about through a genuine error and at the end of the day I don't believe it made any significant difference to the result.

I have a feeling that this dabate will run and run. Pun intended.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmer View Post
    Indeed, a race is, from the compact OED:

noun. 1. a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, etc. to see which is fastest over a set course.

The emphasis is the set course, level playing field, call it what you want. We all go fell running and do our own thing but when we race we should all follow the same instructions as to successful completion.
    Are you sure that a fell race should be held on a level playing field?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winskill View Post
    The lead group went to the checkpoint 2 on the Pete Bland map. If the clag was down I would have done the same thing. It was the way we all recced previously. The checkpoint was different on the race map on the day.
    Hi Phil,

So what was in the wrong place, the checkpoint on the Pete Bland Racemap or the actual manned checkpoint on the day? Reminds me of Jura a few weeks ago, where several people were DQ'd...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Some facts wouldn't go amiss at this point...

The issue arose because on the Harveys race map produced by Pete Bland Sports, the Uldale Head checkpoint (cp2) is shown on the second summit with the cairn, whereas the marshalls were stood 100m further west on the first summit you get to. This is where they have stood for at least the last 5 years so that they can watch the runners approaching. It appears that the discrepancy with the map came about through a genuine error.

These 4 runners cut left below the first summit and one of them told me that they did run to the second summit, and I tend to believe him as he is a genuine guy. He claimed that it was 10-15 seconds quicker than including the first summit too as some of them had tried the variations in a recce.

Can you fault the runners who thought that they were following the route on the map? I personally don't think so. It came about through a genuine error and at the end of the day I don't believe it made any significant difference to the result.

I have a feeling that this dabate will run and run. Pun intended.

Thanks for the clarification HH, and thanks Xrunner, just mopping the beer spray off the computer screen...

Tebay PHOTOS[/URL]
    Last edited by Fat-Lad; 15-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.