Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebay

Re: Tebay

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Are the results up yet?
    They're going to be auctioned on t' ebay.

Repost in case people lost it in the controversy...

Click here for Tebay photos AKA the Tebay 2009 Gurning Competition!

Sorry if I missed anybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    They're going to be auctioned on t' ebay.

From time to time Colin I am really impressed with your wit.

(only from time to time tho' so don't get carried away!).

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    i think this subject is quickly suffering from forumitus.
    just shut up and accept the leaders were the fastest and would have won anyway.
    it sickens me to hear such stupid arguments on forums.
    most of you would never go to Bailey, Jebb, Holmsey etc and accuse them of being cheats to their faces.
    so i say again shut up and let the organisers enjoy the fact they put on such a good race and the winners ran a good race.
    end of thread. close it now

Crikey!

I've found a couple of your toys on the carpet. Want me to pop 'em back in the cot for you?
    Why walk when you can run.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

As we seem to have resurrected this, since when did a race map produced by a commercial organisation with no connection with the FRA or the race organiser become the definitive definition of the race route?

It is always possible that such maps are wrong, there is certainly a mistake on the PB Wasdale race map - it will be interesting to see who blindly follows the map rather than engaging their brain there if the clag is down.

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    P**s off
    ...flippin' heck, you have thrown your toys all over the place.

I've just found some more down the back of the couch!

Now just keep quiet a moment while others talk/discuss/argue like grown-ups (come to think of it, aren't you a V50?)...

Just a couple of quick points:

I love fell running, one reason being because there is so little officialdom and rules. But one of the few rules is that you have to visit checkpoints in a race and give your number to a marshall, or dib.

I think a dangerous precedent is set when you allow runners, however close to a checkpoint they get, to not be DQ in a race. Where do you draw the line?

If there were dibbers and no marshalls (or inattentive marshalls!), they'd by DQ'd, right? Or would they have returned to the checkpoint to dib? I think, but I'm not sure, if I got to where I thought a chekpoint was, turned around and saw a group of marshalls and yellow tape a hundred yards back, I'd return.

I know that, "common sense rules", "they were way out in front anyway", "they didn't mean to miss it out", etc. etc. etc. I just think it'll be interesting to see what happens in future events and instances of this happening.
    Last edited by theNoor; 22-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    ...It is always possible that such maps are wrong, there is certainly a mistake on the PB Wasdale race map..
    ...and on the Duddon map. I think it says the Dow Crag check-point is 500m west of the summit, rather than 40m. The chap in front of me almost missed it - and that was in clear conditions.

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    If there were dibbers and no marshalls (or inattentive marshalls!), they'd by DQ'd, right? Or would they have returned to the checkpoint to dib? I think, but I'm not sure, if I got to where I thought a chekpoint was, turned around and saw a group of marshalls and yellow tape a hundred yards back, I'd return.

I know that, "common sense rules", "they were way out in front anyway", "they didn't mean to miss it out", etc. etc. etc. I just think it'll be interesting to see what happens in future events and instances of this happening.
    Yes but from the first hand account I was given it was the marshalls who had positioned themselves in the wrong place (correct? I don't know but it's what I was told...) if that IS true then we have an anomoly don't we? One could argue they were the only 4 to run the correct course and everyone else should therefore be DQ'd for not having the confidence in their own navigational skills and being brave enough to tell the marshalls they'd got it wrong.

I know I'm being extreme here but based on what you're saying then going back to Kentmere 2004, everyone should have turned round and gone back to Yoke once they realised the marshall wasn't on top of Ill Bell like he should have been! I agree 90% with you and apologise if my account of what happened is incorrect but my point is that marshalls make mistakes as well (as they did that day in 2004) what does a runner do then?

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

But according to HHH, who should know as he's won it a few times in the last few years, the marshalls were in the same place they always are, so surely the marshalls were in the right place and the map was wrong?

So, assuming a race map has been marked up at registration-as distinct from a commercial map which has no status-runners on the line should ask the starter "Are we to run to the CPs on the official map or to where the marshalls choose to stand; if different?

Could be fun!