Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebay

Re: Tebay Map

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    I presume this is referring to CP2 to CP3 (Uldale Head to Linghaw). I haven't done it yet either but the formulas I've tried all seem to suggest there's not much in it in terms of time! A fast runner will obviously prefer the traditional, more roundabout, route but someone who was "Bob Graham" fit with super climbing legs could probably do the direct at least as fast.

It's an intriguing idea.

PS - A group of us did a recce run round the course about a year ago and I did consider trying the directissima but bottled out as I didn't feel all that brave. However, the way I climbed Blease Fell afterwards had me kicking myself for not going for the straight (ish) line to Linghaw. I will be back (as someone once said)
    I'll have to try it out over Christmas. For the last 2 year's races I've taken just under 13 minutes from Uldale to Linghaw. It's at least a 3 minute descent to the bottom of the valley at full whack, so that would leave less than 10 mins for the ascent again. I climb Blease Fell in about 11 1/2 to 12 mins which is a comparable ascent. So I doubt it's a goer. More to the point; there's enough climbing up Blease without adding any more. I'm daft enough to give it a go though just for the record. I'll let you know the result.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

I'm intrigued HH. I've run this course a dozen times or more last year. I've never done anything except the traditional race route. When you go out over xmas give your old pal at wasdale close a call and I'll tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
    I'm intrigued HH. I've run this course a dozen times or more last year. I've never done anything except the traditional race route. When you go out over xmas give your old pal at wasdale close a call and I'll tag along.
    Tell you what! I'll do the trad route whilst you do the down and up. Last one to the top of Linghaw gets the drinks in!

Even with a 30min head start I've got a feeling i'll be buying the drinks - assuming I can make the climb up blease after all that climbing!!

I'll drop you a text. Might struggle next week though. There's only so many times a year a chap can go to the "dentist" on a work afternoon.

We'd have to take it easy to the top of Uldale then blitz it at race pace from there to get a feel for the time. Blease will be fun after doing that though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    I presume this is referring to CP2 to CP3 (Uldale Head to Linghaw). I haven't done it yet either but the formulas I've tried all seem to suggest there's not much in it in terms of time! A fast runner will obviously prefer the traditional, more roundabout, route but someone who was "Bob Graham" fit with super climbing legs could probably do the direct at least as fast.

It's an intriguing idea.

PS - A group of us did a recce run round the course about a year ago and I did consider trying the directissima but bottled out as I didn't feel all that brave. However, the way I climbed Blease Fell afterwards had me kicking myself for not going for the straight (ish) line to Linghaw. I will be back (as someone once said)
    Well, I tried the direct line 2-3 today and suffered so nobody else has to. The short answer is no, don't try it.

The direct line was a 4 minute descent and a 12 minute climb. 16 minutes total. That compares to an average traverse time in training of 15 minutes and 13 minute race split. That might not sound too bad a difference for those who like climbing rather than flat running but that was only the start. The extra descent and climb trashed my legs so that I died on Blease Fell taking 3 minutes longer than an average training run. The run off Blease was pathetic and over 5 minutes longer than normal.

It was fun giving it a go and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't find the Tebay course hard enough! I for one will be sticking to the traditional route.

Fellhound

Hmmm velly intelesting HHH! There's no doubting your fitness but I still wonder if someone with BG fitness, who'd been doing 10-20,000ft of climbing per week, would get some advantage out of it.

It does sound a conclusive no overall though. Shame. I love those big beastie climbs and descents

Tebay

Despite asking for entries to be sent after 1st April the Tebay organiser had received several entries - some had cheques payable to him some to Tebay Fell Race.

Please note: cheques should be made out to "Tebay Fell Race" and not to Gary Murphy

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Re: Tebay

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Despite asking for entries to be sent after 1st April the Tebay organiser had received several entries - some had cheques payable to him some to Tebay Fell Race.

Please note: cheques should be made out to "Tebay Fell Race" and not to Gary Murphy

Whoooooo listen to him, what happened to you? Fall off your bike?

Banned

Re: Tebay

Dam, just had to steam open Mrs Staggers entry.

I wish it had been made clear in the book

Going in tonights post