Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Excalibur Off-Road Marathon

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Re: Excalibur Off-Road Maratho

Quote Originally Posted by 9sqrun View Post
    Has everyone been contacted by the organiser? Put my entry in on 21st Nov....still waiting.

Not been to this area before, waiting for map to arrive so I can plan the route. Any help greatly appreciated...cheers.
    There is a new organiser called Dan Thomas, his contact details are:

T: 0151 343 0883

M: 07850 002683

[email protected]

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Well, from the email it looks like we now have an hour to get to Cilcain, should be plenty time. I timed myself at 51 minutes on Sunday, which will be race pace on the day as I'm not competing, just completing this race. If I go too hard I'll lose too many key training sessions for my Ironman a couple of months later.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

the e-mail was good timing, aim is to recce the loop from Moel Arthur down to Tavern etc this afternoon, looks about 12 miles on the map

Forecast is for a brilliant day, I'm jealous. Observations I made on my first recce of that section are;1. take 2nd right on road section, not first. 2. when turning off the road section the house is not called "Finger Cottage" as the map suggests. It is - quite rightly - the Welsh spelling.3. at Moel-y-Parc you'll see the trig point on the RHS in the field, you need to carry on a bit further to find the correct cairn.4. when dropping off M-y-P, which is great running, continue past the farm & then immediately turn left toin up with Offa's Dyke.

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post
    Forecast is for a brilliant day, I'm jealous. Observations I made on my first recce of that section are;1. take 2nd right on road section, not first. 2. when turning off the road section the house is not called "Finger Cottage" as the map suggests. It is - quite rightly - the Welsh spelling.3. at Moel-y-Parc you'll see the trig point on the RHS in the field, you need to carry on a bit further to find the correct cairn.4. when dropping off M-y-P, which is great running, continue past the farm & then immediately turn left toin up with Offa's Dyke.
    Thanks, that is really useful, looking forward to it

Myself and a couple of others from my club are planning to do this, it looks good and not dissimilar to the excellent 'Open to Offas' event that I did last year.
    The new organiser, Dan seems a little more on the ball than the previous 'organiser' and has now sent some details via email but despite 3 re-sends, I (and apparently several others) can't seem to download them. Dan has said he'll send them snail mail but I'm not holding my breath as everything seems to be on a go-slow for this event.
    I'd very much appreciate a copy of the scanned maps mentioned if anyone could email them to me I'll PM my email across. I'm doing a recce of the first 15mile loop from the forest today as best I can from the GRs given but a map would be fab if anyone can help.

Feel free to PM me Kathyf. I've got some stuff on my works computer that I'll send along tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed your run today. I couldn't get to the parking bays above Cilcain this morning because of the snow, but had a great time when I got running.

Was it you I saw on Offa's Dyke between the 2 cairns & the bridleway that joins Cilcain & Llangynhafal?

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post

Was it you I saw on Offa's Dyke between the 2 cairns & the bridleway that joins Cilcain & Llangynhafal?
    Having looked at the timing of your post, it wouldn't have been you unless you were posting from your phone .

I have two versions of the map - a PDF and a photo image if you want to PM me, Kathy F, or e-mail me at [email protected] . Snow at cilcain, eh, (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner - It was a lovely run in the sunshine this morning on this side of the water although we did spy some white over there on Moel Famau. A few of us are alos doing the bottom loop with a bit of an extension to get the miles in next Sunday.

No, you're right NSMOAfellrunner, it wasn't me! I couldn't go til later on today and then ended up having to amend the route as we ran out of time. Ran through a about 20 minutes of superb horizontal snow though and the views were fantastic. Will send a PM if you wouldn't mind sending stuff. Thanks