Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excalibur Off-Road Marathon

Re: Excalibur Off-Road Maratho

This is going to be tough! I think I have underestimated it up to now. Either that or I had an off day yesterday. Did the bottom loop with a little bit of the top loop aiming to make it about 19 miles but ended up just finishing off from top of Moel famau so only did 16 miles. Very undulating. No really big climbs but just up and down and up and down and up ........ A lot more training in the next 3 weeks I think.

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

ran from the start up to CP2 tonight, up Moel Fammau, then Fenlli - misty on the top though, aiming for the whole of the bottom loop on Saturday

Have a good run - i think I'm aiming more for Snowdonia on Saturday. If you wear a garmin I'd be interested in knowing what ascent you get for bottom loop. We think top loop is 2,500ft and I'm guessing bottom loop to be 3,000 ft (we got 3,200 ft but added in Moel Arthur and didn't do Moel fenli so ...) - altogether more than the 4600ft they claim methinks.

Haven't got a garmin sorry, wonder if NSMOAfellrunner has measured it?

enjoy Snowdonia

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

I've no idea about total climb. I discount any figure my Garmin gives me as the altitude data is wildly unreliable. I can confirm that there is plenty of climb though :wink: . I reckon you could add 30%-50% on to your flat mara time.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Bottom loop recce today, only one hail shower, so a good day out. Checked that the tea van on the car park at the start will be open early on the morning

Did the bottom loop recce today with an added loop round Moel Arthur to make it 19.5 miles (would have been 19 but we ran past the road turn off after Cilcain and had to double back). Misty on the tops but the sunshine came out just after we finished. 4 hours at a gentle pace (although by the time I hit Moel Fenli didn't feel that gentle!) and according to Garmin 3,838ft of climb. Recovery drink, Bacon butty (from aforementioned tea van)and two pints of Guinness at the Colomendy and I'm ready to go again ........ next week.

did the top loop a couple of weekends ago (when Sharon and I saw you guys out Nigel) and my Garmin also said 3975ft and the top loop today and it said 2600ft so considerably more than the 4600ft the organisers say!!
    A lovely day out today though - very warm and lots of sporadic sunshine and misty clouds. Saw lots of people out running and reccying, followed up by a very sociable lunch in Loggerheads Pub

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Good that the tea van will be open early . I just hope the car park bloke will open up early, I've only got there after opening time once.

I did most of the climbing last weekend apart from the part from the bit at the end of the first forest section to CP3, Foel Fenlli & the last forest section. The Garmin said 4700ft & the parts I missed out were worth about 750ft, gives a possible total of 5450ft.

Proper pea-souper conditions this morning. I wouldn't want to be coming for the race without the chance of a recce.

Has anyone else the feeling that they've been missing out on emails from the RO? Having talked with some people I reckon I've not had a couple.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

2 Mar (9 days ago)
    Hello Runners, Just another quick message from me. Lots of you have been acce...
    Dan Thomas 2 Mar (9 days ago)
    Dan Thomas [email protected]

2 Mar (9 days ago)

to undisclosed recipients

Hello Runners,

Just another quick message from me. Lots of you have been accessing the files which is great, but can I just please remind you to download a sponsor form and pass it round work or your family. Any amount you raise would really make a massive difference to our children and their families! Apologies for all of you who have already been getting sponsors. Around 25% of runners have downloaded the file, and I know a few of you have asked me to send you some paper forms, if you want a form though the posts please don’t hesitate to ask. For those of you who wish to use and online fundraising page, please visit: http://bit.ly/wSC6Bm to set up a JustGiving Page.

Route Map: http://bit.ly/zKEqnM

Sponsor Form: http://bit.ly/wNrHKj

Route Brief and revised check point times: http://bit.ly/xUNMwk

PLEASE NOTE the map references are GUIDES ONLY, please use them in conjunction with the route map if you are intending to mark your own maps.

When you are all registering in the morning, we will be re-confirming your next of kin details and we will also need you to confirm any medical allergies or illnesses for our first aid records. The North Wales search and Rescue have been fully briefed on the event and are very happy with the provisions we are making to ensure your safety. However please do all be advised that you need to act in your own interest at all times, and if at any point throughout the race you feel the need to stop, please relay a message to your nearest marshal or use the emergency contact number that you will be provided, and we will make sure you are relayed back to the base or to any medical assistance.

I have now ordered all the race t-shirts, and you will therefore be issued the t-shit size and language that you requested at time of registering. Whilst every step has been made to make sure we have the correct size and language, there may be an instance where we will need to offer you an alternative size or language.

Again, if you have received this message in error, or you know that you need to remove your entry from the race, please email me and I will remove you from the race list.

Kind regards

Dan Thomas

Event Fundraiser

Claire House Children's Hospice

T: 0151 343 0883

M: 07850 002683

Claire House Children’s Hospice Registered office: Clatterbridge Road, Bebington, Wirral, Merseyside CH63 4JD. Registered in England no. 2620240 Charity Registration no. 1004058. This electronic message contains information from Claire House which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately

Copy of latest E-mail I received
    Last edited by Usually at the back; 11-03-2012 at 10:06 PM.