Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Excalibur Off-Road Marathon

Re: Excalibur Off-Road Maratho

Did the top loop. Bugger!!!! Those road hills are not nice! Took over 2 hours to do 11.56miles and 2,390ft climb (but the bottle of 14.5 strength red wine last night did me no favours). I now calculate the whole race to be 26.39 miles long with 5,500ft of climb. One more recce to do on Sunday.

I can whole-heartedly agree that those hills on the top loop are nasty never-ending gits on the road bit. I'm done recce wise now and want some variation or i'll get bored of the route. Going to head out to Moel Y Gamelin area tomorrow and spend 4-5 hours or so out there getting a last big run in. Will do something shorter on the Sandstone Trail next weekend instead.

Last recce done. 19.27 miles and over 4,000ft. Bottom loop plus another loop around Moel Arthur. Beautiful day. If we get a day like today it will be a great day.

It was a gorgeous day to be out, did chunks of 3 fell races - 16miles and 5600ft, legs were protesting for the last few miles! we topped it off with a cuppa and some cake at the Ponderosa cafe to recover.
    I really hope the weather is that good on the day.

P.s. has anyone had any new emails from the RO, i've had nothing for weeks now?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

I've not had any emails, not even a reply to my email asking about any emails I may have missed out on :closed: .

18.7 miles for me on Sunday. Shall have a final run out this weekend, probably from Moel Arthur along the bridlepath to Moel y Parc & back over the hills, avoiding the drop down to the pub. Personally I'm hoping for cool weather, I've not had the chance to run in any warm weather this year & it could be carnage if my first warm run is a marathon.

Kathy what route did you run over the weekend? After the Excalibur is over I was planning on some runs from the Ponderosa. I'm assumimg you can run up towards the masts, catch up with Offa's Dyke drop down to Dinas Bran & Llangollen before running along to Rhewl & taking the Llantysilio's back to the Ponderosa.

Not long now...............
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

intend to run Moel Arthur, Moel Y Parc etc on Wednesday evening - avoiding the road, no need to recce that again

Weather wise, a day like yesterday would be perfect

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

another E mail from Dan the organiser has been sent today, has everyone received it?

I did but need to digest it. Saw it just before I went out running last night. Seems there are a plethora of start times????

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Usually at the back View Post
    another E mail from Dan the organiser has been sent today, has everyone received it?
    Nope :thunbdown: .

Can you copy & paste it to the thread, or can I PM you my email?

Cheers.

Did 8 miles from MA carpark this morning. Thick pea-souper at home, beautiful & clear on the Clwydians.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

NSMOAFellrunner - yes that's roughly where we went. We followed the Dee Valley way a lot and then the Clwydian way and Offas Dyke path too

Here's the rather complex e-mail!

Hello Everyone,

Not long to go now, until race day! Hope the training is all sorted, you don’t want to be exhorting yourself in the lead up!
    We have had a massive amount of last minute sign-ups, so for some of you this will be your first correspondence from me so please see the links below for any who still needs to access the documents. Please do be aware if you have only registered recently, that there is still time to pass a sponsor form round friends and family. Even a little amount makes a massive difference to the lives of our children and their families!

Route Map: http://bit.ly/zKEqnM
    Sponsor Form: http://bit.ly/wNrHKj
    Route Brief and revised check point times: http://bit.ly/xUNMwk
    PLEASE NOTE the map references are GUIDES ONLY, please use them in conjunction with the route map if you are intending to mark your own maps.

RACE DAY

Just to recap how the morning of the race is going to work, in know there has been some confusion and my previous email wasn’t particularly well set out!

Please see below for further explanation (groups will be assigned at the time of registration, i.e: 1st to register will be group 1 etc):

When you arrive to register, you will be guided into parking bays by members of the forestry commission. You then walk to the large blue Claire House tent, where the registration desks will be. Please be advised, that the tables will be laid out alphabetically by surname. Please queue at your corresponding table, and give the staff your surname and postcode, so they can quickly find you on the list.

They will then give you a short form to complete, as detailed below, and will tell you which group you will be setting off in. Once you have signed your form and handed it back, you will be given your race number and race card. The numbers are self-adhesive, so please peel of the back and stick your number onto your clothing. Once your group is called, please make your way to the start line, and then you will set off with the sound of the horn.

As you pass through the various check points, you will need to stamp your race card with the corresponding stamp at that point. They are self-inking stamps and if you have your card out to hand, the process should only take 20-30 seconds. You will need to hand in your card at the end of the race, with all 13 stamps on to verify your time.

When you pass through the finish line, you will need to hand in your race card to the desk, to receive your t-shirt and your meal voucher. There is a catering van in the site, where you will then be able to exchange your meal voucher for some hot food.

Set off times

6:30 AM
    Registration Opens
    7:30 AM
    Group 1 Set off
    7:45 AM
    Group 2 Set off
    8:00 AM
    Group 3 Set off
    8:15 AM
    Group 4 Set off
    8:30 AM
    Group 5 Set off
    All Walkers Must Have Set Off
    8:45 AM
    Group 6 Set off
    9:00 AM
    Group 7 Set off
    9:15 AM
    Group 8 Set off
    9:30 AM
    Group 9 Set off
    Anyone aiming for a sub-5hr Run

Each group will consist of approximately 25 runners. We have decided to use a computerised timing system, so it is IMPERATIVE that you set off in the group you are assigned at registration. I.e.: The 1st 25 people to register will be in group 1, the second 25 will be group 2 and so on. Please make sure that if you are an experienced fell runner, in this area, and you are confident of completing the route in under 5 hours, that you make the people aware when you register so you are put into the 9:30 time slot. This will allow the people setting off before you to disperse along the route, and also means you aren’t reaching a marshalled checkpoint, before the marshals arrive!

I appreciate it may be tedious, but at registration I will need everyone to resubmit their next of kin details, answer a few quick tick box questions on medical history etc and sign to say they agree to the race rules. These will be on display, throughout the registration area.

Finally I wish you all the best of luck, and as always if you have any queries or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Dan Thomas
    Event Fundraiser
    Claire House Children's Hospice

T: 0151 343 0883
    M: 07850 002683