Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: collecting wood for a stove

Master

Re: collecting wood for a stov

Of course be 'ecologically sensitive' as well. How important is the wood to the environment of the location in which you find it? In a forest / moor environment it could be highly important to the eco-system and 'no go'. In a skip it's unlikely to be so. In the extreme you could go out and harvest peat (decayed woody stuff) off the fells - but I doubt too many of us would advocate that unless it was sustainable. That's part of the answer - if what you are doing is ecologically sound and sustainable, amd doesn't legitimately upset a ladowner, and is not commercially profit making, and, and, and, then its PROBABLY OK.

I love my woodburner me!!! Tho I do buy my wood, and a bit of smokeless coal!! I do keep wondering about where I can get it 'free' mind.

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    But if you start 'regular harvesting' in a public place in a manner that other members of public may see as inappropriate, or a ranger question, or from private landowners who take offence, then it could get tricky.
    PS - Wood burning stoves are great and (virtually / nearly) carbon neutral, as trees breath in CO2. Happy foraging!
    I'm lucky on that score as being in the MR and working in an outdoorcentre which backs on to park land I know the two main rangers quite well. I've even joined them when clearing a copice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I love my woodburner me!!! Tho I do buy my wood, and a bit of smokeless coal!! I do keep wondering about where I can get it 'free' mind.
    Put an axe and bow saw on your Christmas list.
    Loads of trees and branch's down in the woods.
    A nice gesture would also be to plant some tree's then there's some for the next folk.

I've got some trees which I am growing for both amenity value (windbreak) and wood. I would be very upset if anyone helped themselves!

Someone referred to seasoning. I buy wood, at present, and store it stacked outside with polythene on the very top for a full year. Then bring it under cover for the following winter. It burns much better and there are less chimney issues as well.

Indeed! I season wood as well, just like that, a stack with some tarp on top, but enough air around it to get dryer, then it goes in the woodstore the next winter. Never seasoned wood for more than a year though, as I always go through it too quickly!

OB1 is of course right with the legal thing of foraging wood. I use my commoners rights out on the open moorland/hill behind my house. We all have them on the hillside of the village, quite unique these days! I have even contemplated hefting a couple of ponies and keep them up there. My neighbours keep sheep on the hill, but they have fields as well, to dring them into for sheering and stuff and in winter. I only have half an acre...

Thing is, use common sense in your foraging and it will be fine On that note, I think I shall take the saw up the road and help myself to a fallen down tree, if no-one else has done so already
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Master
    Stove alive and kicking last night. In August, what is the nation's weather coming to.

Reminded me that I was low on kindling and wood today - sat out on the patio in the intermittent sun/cloud and broke up a load of old church chairs (acquired in exchange for a donation a couple of years ago and been loitering behind the house in the wood 'shed'.