Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Torch 29th May

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: Olympic Torch 29th May

I can't access the route & bearers list at the moment, but looking at it a few weeks ago it looked like there were several athletes who were Russian - or from that area - how does this come about. I remember seeing that Andy Walling is a torch bearer, are there any other athletes/people connected with athletics carrying the torch over NW Wales?
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I'm all for the Olympics but this flaming torch thing is doing my head in. We are going to be seriously fed up with it's monotonous progress around the UK after the media have reported its whereabouts continuously every bleedin' minute of the day. Anyway, we all know these are the LONDON Olympics and this is one massive 'fobbing off' for the rest of the country. (I'll go get a cup of tea now, I may have over-agitated meself......)
    ......yes, I know I'm a bit muddy

I have to admit I will be glued to the Olympics when it starts but I am wherever in the World it is. I love it!! Not all of it. I'm a scream at the tv for the rowing, the triathlon, the swimming, the marathon, all the track athletics and the gymnastics. Friend of mine is a torch bearer but she is a runner lol and not on a train. She came 3rd in the WV50 at this years London Marathon and she got team silver in the Vetran Worlds cross country last year. I like to think she has eared her place. & no, she is not selling it :-)

Can I have a relight from the Mother Flame please?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Well we've got a club outing to Macclesfield next Thursday to cheer on Joe Beswick, a proud torch bearer. We'll brave the traffic chaos - that side of Macclesfield's bad enough in the rush hour without the main road being closed. We'll cheer Joe on, then we're going for a run from the Church House (pub) via Tegg's Nose & the canal towpath. And I think we'll manage it without being too cynical. And the club's splashed out to buy Joe the torch - he won't be putting it on eBay.

Mind you, I think I'll be missing the Olympics. We're on holiday in County Donegal with no telly.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Damn thing is coming through our place in the morning....and they have shut the main street in town from 7am till 4 pm. Why, for heavens sake??? Chaos for 10 minutes of someone jogging along with an instant meal ticket?!?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

undercover moderator

Presumably someone will actually be running up Snowdon with "the real relay"...?

http://www.endurancelife.com/realrelay/

Joss is carrying it in Flimby on the 21st June.

Thats right, Joss is carrying the flame,
    And that ticks the box in my view, on the local front and through his money raising efforts, But what really gets my goat are the others from outside the county being bussed in to have their turn for a few hundred meters and it then goes into a bloody van to the next venue.
    There are a great number of local young athletes who all belong to athletic and fell running clubs who are dedicated, They are the future of athletics in this country, but as far as Ive heard none have been invited to play a part.

Bloody discrace

Toms dad
    Someone has to bring up the rear

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Went along to the end of our road to watch it with the kids this evening & enjoyed the experience. It was a bit like the caravan that comes along before Le Tour, but on a more miserly scale. It brought the whole neighbourhood out for the first time in the 15 years I've been living here. I don't know how much of a reception it would have had if it was a dour dreich evening though. It was being carried by a bloke in a wheelchair who has cerebral palsy & although not local was probably more deserving than many.

Meant a lot to Sir Chris Bonington as well :thumbup: .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.