Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Forgive me but I thought the

Re: Forgive me but I thought t

I was once told - and to this day I do not know if it is true - that a particular hunt had constructed an artificial earth somewhere Back of Skiddaw to breed foxes so that there would always be enough of them to hunt. Now I dont know if that was simply publicity/propaganda put about by the anti hunting lobby or if there is any degree of truth in it, so I am not accusing them without evidence but has anyone else heard this or seen any actual evidence? I'm sure that starting a rumour like this is probably a lot easier than it would be to actually get any foxes to breed but it would be nice to know one way or the other.
    I was running above Long Sleddale one day last week with a friend when we came across a few hounds disturbing the sheep. When we got back to the valley there were a few people in 4x4s asking if we had 'seen any hounds?' - I'm not sure what the hounds we had seen would have done if they had chanced on a fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos the Jackal View Post
    mr wheeze i may have gone overboard a wee bit and i don't know him but i remember from the thread in 2004 he claimed how proud he was when his dog walked through his village carrying a squirrel it had caught. he went on to say how he felt good when the on lookers looked on with bemusement.

anybodies dog when not under conrol can get a squirrel or a cat maybe but to parade it joyfully is not what i call a good thing to do.

the vermin was actually ment for the fox hunters, stag hunters and hare coursers along with the illegal dog fighters, badger baiting and cock fighting and anymore i have missed out.
    Crumbs! Did we have a forum as far back as 2004??
    It's an odd memory because for as long as I've known him, he has not had a dog, He is the very proud owner of a couple of tortoises!
    I hope you never get a grudge against me, coz it seems like you NEVER forget!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I was once told - and to this day I do not know if it is true - that a particular hunt had constructed an artificial earth somewhere Back of Skiddaw to breed foxes so that there would always be enough of them to hunt. Now I dont know if that was simply publicity/propaganda put about by the anti hunting lobby or if there is any degree of truth in it, so I am not accusing them without evidence but has anyone else heard this or seen any actual evidence? I'm sure that starting a rumour like this is probably a lot easier than it would be to actually get any foxes to breed but it would be nice to know one way or the other.
    I was running above Long Sleddale one day last week with a friend when we came across a few hounds disturbing the sheep. When we got back to the valley there were a few people in 4x4s asking if we had 'seen any hounds?' - I'm not sure what the hounds we had seen would have done if they had chanced on a fox.
    I remember reading in the press about a large artificial earth that was discovered at Millbeck, near Keswick - this must've been about 10 years ago. I seem to remember it caused a bit of a stir at the time, because although the use of artifical earths was widespread in the midlands and the south, it was previously assumed that fox hunting in the fells was purely about killing foxes to protect the sheep farmers, rather than for 'entertainment'