Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with fell running stats a

Help with fell running stats a

Could Graham or someone else please help? I'm looking to gauge the extent of fell running participation in the UK....do any such figures or estimates exist? Is it a growing sport? If so, how quickly is it growing? Would growth in numbers be considered a good thing or is there thinking to the contrary?

My perception is that there is growing interest in the sport as part of a wider "trend" towards wilderness/mountain pursuits (wild swimming, mountain biking, trail running etc). Does anyone think this is true?

Has "Feet in the Clouds" brought a new "audience to the sport?

Any thoughts/discussion would be greatly appreciated. I'm writing a couple of things at the moment and it would be very useful to get a broader perspective than my own. Thanks.

Re: Help with fell running sta

I should make it clear that I'm looking for informal opinions from as many of you as possible...not just an "official" FRA response. So please, if you have any thoughts on the subject, I'd really appreciate them.

Super Moderator

mano, the sport is growing, pre-entry races are filling up more quickly and more people are running off-road generally. I think FITC had an effect as you suspected

My understanding is that it is not FRA policy to encourage or promote growth in the sport because of access issues, erosion problems and car parking at race HQs
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks mate. I'd like to understand that FRA position a little more fully. It seems a little odd to a relative newcomer. A bit like pulling the ladder up.

Quote Originally Posted by manothemoors View Post
    Could Graham or someone else please help? I'm looking to gauge the extent of fell running participation in the UK....do any such figures or estimates exist? Is it a growing sport? If so, how quickly is it growing? Would growth in numbers be considered a good thing or is there thinking to the contrary?

My perception is that there is growing interest in the sport as part of a wider "trend" towards wilderness/mountain pursuits (wild swimming, mountain biking, trail running etc). Does anyone think this is true?

Has "Feet in the Clouds" brought a new "audience to the sport?

Any thoughts/discussion would be greatly appreciated. I'm writing a couple of things at the moment and it would be very useful to get a broader perspective than my own. Thanks.
    I think its wider than FITC... google the 'Green Gym'... there's a running boom but I don't think fell has been a huge growth.. traily events yes, but whilst a few select races are more popular than ever some struggle more than ever.. for certain in Wales I don't think its any more popular now in general, but some races, at the traily end, are getting more popular..

The BMC may have stats on increased membership numbers, NPA may have visitor numbers, BMC may have participation stats.. its likely to be quite a complex picture though..

FITC undoubtably had an impact, but I don't think it can be generalised too far... the BGR seemed to become more popular.. but it seemed to be getting more so even before he wrote.

Thanks mate. I'd like to understand that FRA position a little more fully. It seems a little odd to a relative newcomer. A bit like pulling the ladder up.
    good luck.. you won't get more conflicting statements and views and actions than from the 'FRA position'... they have leadership courses to knock down barriers to participation.. a great idea poorly executred IMO... but then say they don't encourage participation...

There's a general increase in the number of participants in many (most?) outdoor sports and fell and trail running are no exception to that. However the increase isn't consistent and some races are effectively honey pots - the Three Peaks for example - and getting an entry is as much a race as the actual event itself!

There's two points to note about growth in numbers:

1. Any sport needs newcomers to the sport otherwise it will die.
    2. Too many participants and the sport runs in to potential problems of erosion; annoying the locals; etc.

Obviously balancing the two isn't easy.

There are several races that now have to limit numbers because of environmental concerns, some have even had to change the course over which they run, but equally there are races where there might only be a couple of dozen competitors.

FITC has had a significant effect, particularly on the Bob Graham Round, check out the various threads on that forum to see what.

I think a lot of people "dabble" at the sport, particularly those races perceived as being "easier" in some way which is why some races are introducing requirements asking for the entrants' experience: having inexperienced runners getting lost on a long Lakeland race in poor weather isn't good for the sport or individual.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thanks Iain. Yes the Green Gym concept is one I'm familiar with. The whole Change4Life campaign too. It has been popular around my neck of the woods. Getting people out into the countryside to exercise ought to be public health policy.
    I'll be interested what the FRA have to say. I suppose there must be a distinction drawn between recreational fell running....running on the hills and fell racing. The first, I would have thought, was beyond the FRA's jurisdiction.
    From what I can gather, the fell racing community is aging. I know the junior scene is popular but that middle ground between ought to be where the future lies for the sport. Does the FRA want to keep the sport as a niche/minority endeavour, protected for the benefit of the few? I work in the media and I have heard stories of outright hostility towards media organisations trying to give the sport coverage. I didn't know whether to give credence to those stories or not.

Thanks for that Bob, very helpful. Will digest that.

Thanks Iain. Yes the Green Gym concept is one I'm familiar with. The whole Change4Life campaign too. It has been popular around my neck of the woods. Getting people out into the countryside to exercise ought to be public health policy.
    I'll be interested what the FRA have to say. I suppose there must be a distinction drawn between recreational fell running....running on the hills and fell racing. The first, I would have thought, was beyond the FRA's jurisdiction.
    From what I can gather, the fell racing community is aging. I know the junior scene is popular but that middle ground between ought to be where the future lies for the sport. Does the FRA want to keep the sport as a niche/minority endeavour, protected for the benefit of the few? I work in the media and I have heard stories of outright hostility towards media organisations trying to give the sport coverage. I didn't know whether to give credence to those stories or not.
    You make an interesting point about runners in their twenties/thirties being the future of the sport. In some ways I agree, but on the other hand it seems many people take up fell runnning much later. I bet if there was a poll the majority would say they started running in their late thirties or older.

Media exposure is an interesting one. I work in the media too and wouldn't be happy to hear about colleagues being treated with hostility by the FRA. I wouldn't be suprised though bearing in mind some of the posts on here....Whatever your position manners don't cost a thing.

The FRA make reasonable points about not promoting fell running. Personally I think the toughness of the sport will always limit participation no matter how much it's promoted.

If you want a response from the FRA email Graham Breeze. If he's rude to you post the email on here.
    Last edited by Dynamo Dan; 27-12-2011 at 08:08 PM.