Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Calder V Round 2012 onwards

Re: Calder V Round 2012 onward

Thanks MM. I really enjoyed the route and intend to come back down soon and do it again (a lot quicker hopefully).

I'll post my split times later.

OG alerted me to the CV Round... i'm going to have a go as it'll be useful training for Edale. What's a good time for a girl Mountain Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    OG alerted me to the CV Round... i'm going to have a go as it'll be useful training for Edale. What's a good time for a girl Mountain Man?
    I'd say anything inside 3-30 in winter is very respectable or 3-15 in summer. There's quite a network of paths in the area so on the first run time can be taken up navigating. Once you are confident of where you are going you can then concentrate on the running and getting a good time so you will probably find a big improvement on your 2nd run.

I've added the CVR (plus one or two others) to a new 'be inspired' section on the gofar website - just waiting for details of the Stanhope 13 trigs.
    Link here: http://www.gofar.org.uk/trainingruns.html

Good luck!

Stanhope 13 trigs is my neck of the woods so I'm looking forward to the details of that one.

Ah.. navigating, why did you have to spoil it by mentioning that! I'll do what you suggest and see what happens... thanks

Planning to do initial recce tomorrow. I don't have a printer and the library is shut today (austerity measures), so i've just copied the entire instrucs by hand. Running it should be a doddle after that!

Hey what a fab day out i've had.. great route! I wasn't hammering it but i timed myself at a rather frisky 2.52.37.. hardly wasted any time checking route as instructions were so excellent. I realised i knew alot of it already, although still found a new footpath about 1m from my house! And conditions so good, cold but no wind, and lovely underfoot. Didn't even get wet feet until after S Pike. I feel it'd be rude not to attempt sub-2.45 when i haven't done interval session the day before and eaten half my own body weight in pastry products from Hebden bakery on way to start.

One question.. the controls.. are they actually physical controls or just metaphorical ones? I looked but didn't see any, though i wasn't planning official clock in anyway. I memorised my times at each place to nearest minute which were: 0.33 OT Mill, 0:55 G Mill, 1.36 Ruin, 2.13 S Pike, 2.33 Junction, 2.44 Cottages.

Don't know who wrote the route instrucs, but they're great. If i was in any doubt i tried to think like a man, logic beat intuition every time, and the only time i went off route was Erringdon Moor where i refused to believe compass was sending me the correct way so took a longer route but not by much.

Your thanks for the route description are owed to MOUNTAIN MAN (Tony). There are no actual control points other than the places themselves - "leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photographs". Good run out isn't it?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Not a bad time for starters Longdogs. A new ladies record!! Rachel Hill was the previous fastest in 2-55. You are the only two women to do it. You should't have much trouble breaking 2-45 when it gets a bit drier and warmer. Good to hear you enjoyed it and the navigation was not a problem. If you leave the main path at the right point there is now quite an obvious path across Erringden Moor which brings you out in sight of the post at the top of path that takes you down into Broadhead Clough.
    I'm crocked again but I must have another run round when I recover.

Thanks for the instructions M.Man, they must be good if i can follow them, i'm monumentally stupid at that kind of thing. I think i left the path too late and ended up getting to woods about 100m left of marker posts, but should be easily rectified next time. Can't wait to have another go, it was such a great route, takes in all the local landmarks, and it's really interesting, constant changes of terrain make it seem shorter than it is.

Hope you get de-crocked soon..