Thread: Knee issues/injuries

Knee issues/injuries

I'm very sorry if this is the wrong type of forum or if I'm in the wrong place but I do not know where else to turn to. I'm only 16 yet my knees feel as if they are triple that. I've been running since I was 8 years old, I used to play football on concrete for near 5 hours a day until I was 15 or so. Until a few weeks ago I would jog around my area every day but recently I've stopped because I cannot take the pain of my knees any longer. I've not been to a doctor yet as upon research I assumed it was runners knee. I've rested/iced/stretched my knees for the past few weeks and tried running yesterday but the pain had not subsided at all, if anything it was worse.

I've ordered knee support straps which hopefully will help me, the pain is to the left of my right knee cap and to the right of my left knee cap. Has anybody got any idea what this could be? And how I can treat the injury?

Thank you in advance and sorry again if this is the wrong location!

Re: Knee issues/injuries

sounds like this:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/patellofemoral_pain_syndrome.php

wall-sits and single-leg squats would be the way ahead
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 05-01-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Liam, I would seriously suggest that you visit your GP to explain your symptoms and ask for a referral to a sports physiotherapist, who should be able to identify the problem for certain. Best of luck.

What Britnick says....
    See a SPORTS physio. By all means see a doctor as well, but they can be notorious for saying "take ibuprofen and rest it". If you want a decent diagnosis, seek out a respected physio in your area, and pay for it. You only really get one pair of decent knees to mess around with.

Seek out a medical professional:thumbup: and not an FRA Forum diagnosis.

You'll be back in the running before you know it.
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

Liam, i get this every year at this time of year, used to get it when playing football and still get it now running, stretch your quads and keep wrapped up when running, be too warm rather than too cold.

Master

Good luck and a happy New Year Liam, the GP is probably your best starting point, as sadly I can offer no advice as to how a 16 year old will afford to pay a professional sports therapist (short of wealthy parents), maybe others can.
    Last edited by JohnK; 05-01-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

At 16, a good chance that its more like ''Schlatters Syndrome'' (sp?), but you need to talk to and see a physio, as opposed to us 'experts'! All the best for pain free running.
    A circular route mostly downhill

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Liam, at this stage I would get it looked at by an appropriate professional. I wouldn't go down the lines of using knee supports at this stage, rather rest and get a diagnosis; you could be suffering from an adolescent type problem such as osgood schlatters, sinding larsen johansson syndrome, osteochondromalacia patella etc, but most importantly exclude anthing serious and have your biomechamics checked out. Be a little wary though if someone wants to throw orthotics (insoles) in your shoes at this age as your legs have been changing shape and posture for years and are just catching up with themselves and therefore things could settle down with simple measure such as activity modification, ice etc. (i.e. the basic stuff).

Good luck

Gaz