Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feet in the Clouds review.

Re: Feet in the Clouds review.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    How do you mean the Nordic "fjell"? The north of England was occupied/settled by norse rather than saxon settlers so many of the terms for land features are of norse origin: fjell = fell; bjaek = beck; foss = force (waterfall); tjorn = tarn. You also see it in road names: gate which means "way" rather than "barrier". Since fell running began in northern England why not use the local terms?
    Aye, I know. I spend a lot of time in the far north of Sweden and Norway and, having grown up in Teesside/North Yorks. I found I was familiar with lots of Scandic words. "Lek" was another one...to play. I just wondered his "fjell" was because he spends time in Nordic lands too.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by manothemoors View Post
    the raising of the sport’s profile in faddy lifestyle supplements has brought significant problems. The entry applications for the “glamour” events of the sport have been swelled to such an extent by “things to do before I die” types, that the more competitive championship runners have found themselves squeezed.
    Is there any evidence for this assertion, as opposed to numbers having been increased by " newcomers who may arrive with a wide outdoor/orienteering/climbing/mountaineering background"?

Hmmm, see the FRA and the media thread.

undercover moderator

Hmmm, see the FRA and the media thread.
    Nope, no evidence there either...

It's anecdotal (to me anyway).

You're welcome. It's a brilliant place. I happened upon it when they ran an obituary for a dear chum of mine a couple of years ago and have visited every day since to see what gems lay in wait. It's possible to spend hours meandering through its pages. How come the Nordic "fjell"?
    Just fancied it that way! I've not spent time in Scandanavia, other than a trip to Bergen which I loved!! I'd love to go back but they've stopped the ferries that used to run from Newcastle, and I don't know of any other cheapish ways to get there. I think the word stuck from a pair of shoes from some considerable time ago.

I really miss that ferry. Bergen is lovely (if a tad pricey). The road out towards Sognefjord and the Laerdal tunnel is one of my favourite drives.

You can take a freighter from Immingham to Brevik near Oslo. There's a car deck and you can take a cabin. Probably cheaper to fly from Newcastle though.
    Last edited by manothemoors; 14-01-2012 at 05:50 PM.

I had great plans for taking the 5 day trip they used to do and going up in the mountains behind. I did a three day trip and stayed on the ferry one night. I got up really early and walked up thro the 'park' up onto the moor cum terrace. You could see for miles, mountains as far as you could see!! Very tempting, but I had to get back or miss the boat! lol. Where Teesside are you? I'm from Saltburn/Redcar way, my 1st counter club is still new Marske.

I don't live in Teesside any more....West Yorkshire now.
    I'd thoroughly recommend getting a flight and hiring a car there to go and explore that Western side of Norway. Some of my favourite memories are of the drive from Bergen, up over the Jotenheim mountains, Dovrefjell, and via Trondheim up to Swedish Lapland. The first time we did it, we got tired of saying WOW in the first half hour. I want to go back and do some walking/running and exploring there. If you have a fondness for fishing it's like Nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    How do you mean the Nordic "fjell"? The north of England was occupied/settled by norse rather than saxon settlers so many of the terms for land features are of norse origin: fjell = fell; bjaek = beck; foss = force (waterfall); tjorn = tarn. You also see it in road names: gate which means "way" rather than "barrier". Since fell running began in northern England why not use the local terms?
    This makes sense. I've often wondered about Janet's Foss up in Malham and now I know. Would I be right in thinking that "thwaite" as a suffix is also a nordic term? Lots of little villages (if you can call them that) round here ending in thwaite (eg. Thornthwaite)

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners