Page 307 of 315 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Hulleymonster was out with his cousin on Saturday. I suppose he counts as a faster Pennine
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Aagh! the race is full now and I'm 9th on the waiting list. Fingers crossed for an entry.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Hi Wazzy, Was it you I was running with for a while today. agree it got quite bad. the new dip down before Win Hill was a tad muddy. a fine alternative to Brown Knoll
    When I did my recce a couple of weeks back, rather than go through the forest gate at Wooler Knoll, I stayed high on the path round the forest edge until the two fences join in a right angle at about 187856 and then went down through the woods. This path is shown on the old Edale Skyline map that I was using - but not on the OS map or Open Streetmap, which would have you go round to the fellgate at 188855 - and although there was a clear path, the gate at 187856 was definitely not opening for me, I had to hop it. I'm guessing this route is probably OOB for the race, probably OOB full stop given the gate...
    Last edited by nutkey; 01-03-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nutkey View Post
    When I did my recce a couple of weeks back, rather than go through the forest gate at Wooler Knoll, I stayed high on the path round the forest edge until the two fences join in a right angle at about 187256 and then went down through the woods.
    Nutkey, think you’ve got a typo there. That gate ref “SK 187 256”, should be “SK 187 856”?

I was up there today to have a look myself, pretty wet and windy. I think it must have been gusting around 50mph. Could hardly stand up on the top of Win Hill and much tree damage was evident between Hope Cross and Wooler Knoll.

I also stayed out of the woods passed CP4 (gate into woods) and continued along the edge of the fence/wall, but before you get to the gate Nutkey refers to, you arrive at a stile (SK 178 857), go over, then immediately on your left is another stile which will take you into the woods. Contour around a small clough for about 50 yards before descending more sharply and you will see the remains of a very old logging track. Stay high and to the right initially as there is a large fallen tree blocking the way. Once passed, drop onto the old track and follow it to the bottom (will only take 1-2 mins most). You are then on the main track marked on the map. Follow that around to CP5 (SK 190 859), but on the way as you get nearer to that be careful not to miss a small path/trod off to your right, otherwise you will descend too far and only have to climb back up further around the corner.

The climb up out of the woods from CP5 is straightforward, a bit of mud, nothing too steep. Emerge from the woods, a few yards further and you go through a gate. From here the paths go left and right, but there is a clear and obvious trod which takes a direct line to the summit of Win Hill. It’s not as steep as I expected and is good underfoot, so must be quicker than taking the path which follows the fence/wall edge.

See my actual route plot and comments for more details.
    recce 2017.jpg
    Totley AC

Myself and a mate recce'd it today, fair to say conditions were not the best!!

Mark. I think you have misunderstood the idea of a reccie...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Mark. I think you have misunderstood the idea of a reccie...
    Yeah, maybe I've got carried away a bit. However, I've received some great race advice on here before. Just wanted to try and give back a bit.
    Totley AC

Banned
    Enjoy your race with your new knowledge Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post
    Yeah, maybe I've got carried away a bit. However, I've received some great race advice on here before. Just wanted to try and give back a bit.
    But giving away my secret lines is a bit much..

Banned
    Sorry Ian, now I understand ��