Page 103 of 315 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: Edale Skyline 29th March 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Unless of course they didn't hear matey at the start reminding everyone about it. I was in the far left side of the line up at the start line and barely heard a thing. Also I don't think there were any markers either were there (too remind the ignorant or hard of hearing )?
    I thought the briefing at the start said "keep to the path where the course is flagged" and remember on the descent noticing that there were no flags/tape on the zig-zags.

Just for the record, I stuck to the path, although I was running like Douglas Bader at the time.

After initially being a little disappointed with my time, probably not helped by the sheer hell involved, I'm feeling better about it now.

Even though the skyline is about 2.5 miles shorter than the 3 peaks race route with some 700 ft less ascent, the winning times are more or less identical - plus or minus the 2 hours 50 mark. The terrain is no doubt about it tougher around the skyline and with maybe only 4 or so miles actually going anything like a downwards direction - I'd guess that the 3P has as much as 12 to 15 miles of its length generally descending, albeit with a fair few undulations along the way. The only area that the 3P is harder is on the ascent side of things, largely because of Whernside.

So all I now have to do is translate my skyline time into a matching 3P one

Super Moderator

After initially being a little disappointed with my time, probably not helped by the sheer hell involved, I'm feeling better about it now.

Even though the skyline is about 2.5 miles shorter than the 3 peaks race route with some 700 ft less ascent, the winning times are more or less identical - plus or minus the 2 hours 50 mark. The terrain is no doubt about it tougher around the skyline and with maybe only 4 or so miles actually going anything like a downwards direction - I'd guess that the 3P has as much as 12 to 15 miles of its length generally descending, albeit with a fair few undulations along the way. The only area that the 3P is harder is on the ascent side of things, largely because of Whernside.

I thought you were being a bit hard on yourself too Stolly You don't have the advantage of going out every day familarising yourself with the course like you do with the PPP either
    Poacher turned game-keeper

what an excellent fellow you are....

I did the skyline as training for the 3P's and I found the sklyline quite a tough prospect, partic the protracted bog voyage,

was getting abit worried that the 3P's was longer and a tougher prospect

nice to get a knowledgeable perspective

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    what an excellent fellow you are....

I did the skyline as training for the 3P's and I found the sklyline quite a tough prospect, partic the protracted bog voyage,

was getting abit worried that the 3P's was longer and a tougher prospect

nice to get a knowledgeable perspective

This ----->

vs this ----->

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleplodder View Post
    The route description and pre race briefing from the organiser were at pains to explain that runners must keep to the paved zigs and zags coming off Ringing Roger.

I am sure it will have been a stipulation of the National Park in their granting permission to hold the race.

Straight lining the zig zags to gain some time and take some places at the end of the race would not be looked at kindly by the National Park or by other competitors who were dillegently sticking to the path. Very tempting to do when the competitive red mist is down, but rather ignorant and selfish.
    Ah, thanks, now I understand. I couldn't hear a word of the instructions, didn't see anything on the website and nothing was mentioned when I registered. Just as well I was too knackered to be thinking of anything including shortcuts at the end!

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleplodder View Post
    Was the offender wearing an orange cap and had his arse hanging out of a rip in his tights?

He'd already passed me just as we reached RR checkpoint but I saw him cutting the zig zags from above. I think someone shouted as he undertook them, but that cut no ice with him. He seemed to know all the DPFRs, not sure if he was a brownshirt himself. No excuses for it. Tosser.
    Bit strong that...was it a taped section that was mandatory out of bounds section or part of the run in??

If not, it is perhaps a fair claim to make you own way off - surely thats a fell race tradition??

Maybe if you were quicker you could've caught him and called him a tosser!!

I understand though that he stopped running for the lad he "under cut" and offered him to let him by..only to be refused! Which is seemingly sporting conduct ...unlike your abusive tone!
    Run and become...

Master and MR

Id be surprised if anyone didnt hear the organiser state , keep to the zig zags both at the start and finish. It was loud enough to hear, I was right over to the left and i heard it.
    So cutting the zig zags was not on at all. He must have known about it. And if they were shouting him why carry on like that.
    Purpleplodder is dead right in saying TOSSER.

Anyway its a hard race and takes a few years to work it out i think. Everyone says the race doesnt start to you get to mam tor but I think the race starts about half way up to Brown Knoll. Its that boggy ground that zaps you and you have to really push the pain out of your system.
    A decent race for me and i felt okay most of the way round. Well chuffed for Geoff B taking 1st V 50 , Brilliant.
    It wasnt a day for down and up for sure
    Robin of Pennine would certainly been miles in front of me. But full respect for him and anyone attempting it.

Well done to all those attempting it for the first time.

The trick on this race is to drink , drink , and get energy into you going up Lose Hill.
    Ive stashed a bottle and jaffa cakes at the bottom every year and its paid dividends for me defo.
    Thanks to Dark Peak for brilliant organisation.
    It takes a lot to organise a long race at this time of the year. Very rare we get that weather on that route.

Good support on route from Pennine members and there should be a dodgy photo appear at some point of me in TEAM HOWIE colours.

Stolly , Id say this race bears not on resemblance on the three peaks. You did well. Enjoy your running and never moan about your time.
    People who know me know I never worry about my time.
    I was probably one of few that came off the hill at the end hoping that it could have lasted longer.
    Our time on the fells is precious. Enjoy every minute of it.

Where else could you be rewarded with a chocolate milkshake for doing that.

Talking Re: Edale Skyline 29th March 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Stagger View Post
    Still can't believe you ran in white socks Mudlugger, what were you thinking? Surprisingly they looked quite clean at the end, I must have led you on a good path round the bogs at Brown Knoll! Glad your ankles survived.
    I love getting things muddy... especially white socks.
    They were clean at the finish because I minced around the bogs like the fairy I am.
    ani waltz next up
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

Yes me too, see you there!