Page 104 of 315 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: Edale Skyline 29th March 2

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Id be surprised if anyone didnt hear the organiser state , keep to the zig zags both at the start and finish. It was loud enough to hear, I was right over to the left and i heard it.
    So cutting the zig zags was not on at all. He must have known about it. And if they were shouting him why carry on like that.
    Purpleplodder is dead right in saying TOSSER.

Anyway its a hard race and takes a few years to work it out i think. Everyone says the race doesnt start to you get to mam tor but I think the race starts about half way up to Brown Knoll. Its that boggy ground that zaps you and you have to really push the pain out of your system.
    A decent race for me and i felt okay most of the way round. Well chuffed for Geoff B taking 1st V 50 , Brilliant.
    It wasnt a day for down and up for sure
    Robin of Pennine would certainly been miles in front of me. But full respect for him and anyone attempting it.

Well done to all those attempting it for the first time.

The trick on this race is to drink , drink , and get energy into you going up Lose Hill.
    Ive stashed a bottle and jaffa cakes at the bottom every year and its paid dividends for me defo.
    Thanks to Dark Peak for brilliant organisation.
    It takes a lot to organise a long race at this time of the year. Very rare we get that weather on that route.

Good support on route from Pennine members and there should be a dodgy photo appear at some point of me in TEAM HOWIE colours.

Stolly , Id say this race bears not on resemblance on the three peaks. You did well. Enjoy your running and never moan about your time.
    People who know me know I never worry about my time.
    I was probably one of few that came off the hill at the end hoping that it could have lasted longer.
    Our time on the fells is precious. Enjoy every minute of it.

Where else could you be rewarded with a chocolate milkshake for doing that.
    I say: Kick the tosser off a hill...ban him and disqualify him!!!!
    Seriously.....was he contending for a top place? Did it alter any results in a major way? did he under take a whole group of runners? was he the only one who nipped a corner?
    Next time either run past him and beat him on the hill or lodge a complaint to the organisers.
    This site does get a bit wingey at times!
    'Nuff said!
    Run and become...

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBIKE View Post
    I say: Kick the tosser off a hill...ban him and disqualify him!!!!
    Seriously.....was he contending for a top place? Did it alter any results in a major way? did he under take a whole group of runners? was he the only one who nipped a corner?
    Next time either run past him and beat him on the hill or lodge a complaint to the organisers.
    This site does get a bit wingey at times!
    'Nuff said!
    I honestly believe i possibly caused more damage by going over the peat after the woolpacks than he did cutting the zig zags
    But the organiser had not been told to keep us off there.
    I suppose he could have been in a state at that point in the race so maybe tosser was a bit over the top.
    Would be nice of him to say what he did on here.
    Wonder why he didnt cut the corners on the way out????.

Night im off
    Sorry if ive upset you.

I must say all this name calling goes against my experience of the friendliness of the event

this was my 6th fell race and through not reading the website thoroughly and not hearing the briefing through a late call of nature I wasn't aware of having to abide by the rule on the way down

a fellow competitor, in good spirit, shouted to me when I started on the incorrect line down and I gladly retraced and re routed

i'd always think it's more grown up to have the courage to speak face to face at the time rather than putting the downer on an event by publically airing minor transgressions on a forum that many many people will read, not just those you hope/intend to punish

surely this is the metaphorical littering on the sport ?

Just in case anyone's in any doubt as to whether or not cutting the zig-zag was allowed; here's the bit from the organisers site;

9. Top of Jacob’s Ladder (GR 081861) 10. Grindslow Knoll Top (GR 110868) 11. Ringing Roger (GR 126872)

Follow the zigzags down the hill

12. Finish (GR 123863)
    Perhaps 'tosser' is a bit strong but it does matter 'cos if runner's aren't prevented from cutting corners, then everyone behind will follow them, causing a nice big scar straight down the hillside. This gets the sport a bad name and could affect the viability of future events.

I agree that it should have been marshalled though.

Are these sort of incidents not just a consequence of the growing popularity of fell running and influx of road/xc runners? People that have been on the fell scene for a few years will (I imagine) have adopted the generally accepted behaviours/attitudes e.g. sportsmanship, stiles, friendliness etc.. Those fairly new to the scene may just be ignorant of the affect of their behavior. All that's needed is a bit of friendly education. (...and if that fails - drown them in a bog!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Geoff B was that you I met at Jacob's ladder and followed on your sneaky shortcut? Certainly got us on the back of the bunch in front quicker than going round the path. Thanks for that.
    Yes, that was me. I was struggling a bit by that point - you went flying away from me & disappeared into the distance!

Last year I showed your clubmate, Simon Barnett, across that bit I think.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Yes, that was me. I was struggling a bit by that point - you went flying away from me & disappeared into the distance!

Last year I showed your clubmate, Simon Barnett, across that bit I think.

I suggest a new bum bag
    That laptop bag is just no use on the fells Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Are these sort of incidents not just a consequence of the growing popularity of fell running and influx of road/xc runners? People that have been on the fell scene for a few years will (I imagine) have adopted the generally accepted behaviours/attitudes e.g. sportsmanship, stiles, friendliness etc.. Those fairly new to the scene may just be ignorant of the affect of their behavior. All that's needed is a bit of friendly education. (...and if that fails - drown them in a bog!)
    You could start a friendly educational thread in the beginners section. Us newbies would benefit greatly I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    No I don't think its that simple. In some races corner cutting is fine and others its not, usually down to the local landowners or national park views. For instance although I've never yet done the Ben I think the racing line there totally ignores zigs and zags. Its just a case of abiding by local rules.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    I honestly believe i possibly caused more damage by going over the peat after the woolpacks than he did cutting the zig zags
    But the organiser had not been told to keep us off there.
    I suppose he could have been in a state at that point in the race so maybe tosser was a bit over the top.
    Would be nice of him to say what he did on here.
    Wonder why he didnt cut the corners on the way out????.

Night im off
    Sorry if ive upset you.
    I'm sure he will give his version of events, now he's aware of the growing lynch mob From what I gather, when the guy he passed on the zig-zags shouted to him, he offered to let him run past him to re-gain his place.