Page 267 of 315 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Under soil heating is the only way to go for these early in the season fell races
    Perhaps Cumbria County Council need to rethink their opposition to that nuclear waste depository? Just a thought...!!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    Perhaps Cumbria County Council need to rethink their opposition to that nuclear waste depository? Just a thought...!!
    An image of lots of glowing runners scampering over Fairfield just flashed through my mind . No one lost & a built in full kit requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    An image of lots of glowing runners scampering over Fairfield.
    Would lead underpants get added to the kit requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Would lead underpants get added to the kit requirements?
    Wouldn't lead undies be heavier than all the kit I was going to make people carry anyway? :wink:
    Last edited by IanFitz; 25-03-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanFitz View Post
    Wouldn't lead undies be heavier than all the kit I was going to make people carry anyway? :wink:
    No, the 2013 version is ultra thin and light, I find them very comfortable :w00t:
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 25-03-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    No, the 2013 version is ultra tin and light, I find them very comfortable :w00t:

Haha, I wonder how many twists, turns and diversions this thread has in it's 67 pages!

ANyway I'm going now. My mother always told me never to talk about tin foil pants with strange men I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    To prevent the weather being able to ruin the replacement event, the FRA committee has decided to hold the event on programmable treadmills.
    The FRA would need to change their navigation course to incorporate this latest trend.

Some people would still get lost by programming in the wrong course.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    Good decision and nice n early too. Thanks. Let's hope its rearranged on a nice sunny day!
    Does this mean that the results are in order of first to get an entry in?

EDALE SKYLINE: Race cancellation info - part 1

The below is a copy of the email which has today been sent to everyone who entered the event this year so parts of it may affect people in different ways. Its ended up being quite long, please read it carefully...

As you all know we were left with no choice other than to cancel the Skyline on Saturday morning; the many images, video and reports of road and fell conditions from the weekend leaves no doubt that this was the correct thing to do!

So we are left with a lot of questions about what happens next…

RACE FEE

A number of people have been in touch to say their race fee should be used to cover costs with the remainder given to Edale MRT. Unfortunately a cancellation just the day before means we are already committed to many costs. Although I have negotiated to reduce as many as possible.

What I propose is working out the costs we have incurred up to now; once these are met I will issue out a partial refund which will come back through the Sportident system some time in the next few weeks. It is likely that the amount refunded would be between £5 and £7, but this is still to be confirmed. We are working with sportident to offer an option for you to donate the remainder of the entry fee to Edale MRT - IF you choose to do so. This would be an opt in donation.

A further email will be sent out once we have this system in place. This will also contain information for those people who would like a full refund.

Just to be clear, people who cancelled their entries prior to the event have already donated their fee to Edale MRT as explained in the race information.

CHAMPIONSHIP RACE - LONG COUNTER

The FRA have made it clear that there WILL be two long races this year. Because Edale falls so early in the season there would be no difficulty in using another long race later in the season. I understand they have this race already identified.

However IF the Edale Skyline could be rearranged for later in the year it would remain in the championship series.

I am currently looking into the feasibility of this; bearing in mind that it effectively means starting the whole RO process from scratch, it is obviously to something to be undertaken lightly! Organising one Champs race in a year is a big task, but organising two of them…

The date that impacts the least on significant national and other local events is Sunday 29th September.

ENTRIES…

IF this was to happen I would start from again from the beginning - including entries. I realise that this will displease many people who were on the start list for Sundays race, but my rationale for this is as follows:

Many people had withdrawn from the race before entries closed due to injury, work commitments etc. based on the race being in March.
    A large number of other people had offered their places for substitution due to the above
    Many people heeded my advice regarding the likely conditions in the week leading up to the race and cancelled their entries therefore others were invited from the waiting list.
    I can't afford to put two races on for one race fee so would need people to re-enter and pay again…
    709 people had been on the start list at some stage; but only 500 can run on the day - if i was to use the current entry data where would I 'draw the line'?
    Based on the above it seems that the fairest course of action would be to start again with a blank page…

Believe me, if you knew just how much work it is to process the entries (even using the efficiency that Sportident provides) you would understand that I have not made this decision lightly. For example I have had just over 1000 (yes, a thousand!) emails about the race since January. The majority of those were about entries.

IF the race was to be put on in September I would do similar to last time. Majority of places on a first-come, first-served basis, with enough kept back for 'people who can demonstrate they are likely to challenge for championship points in any age category.' Entries would most likely open in early July to avoid lots of people being away due to school holidays.

Having spoken to people within Dark Peak, I THINK there is the will to go with the September option, but this is absolutely not a final decision. I am telling you all about this possibility so you can put the potential date in your diaries as early as you can.

Please do not email to ask further questions at his stage - all the information I currently have is above and I have nothing to add. Further information will be announce via the skyline page at www.dpfr.org.uk and other social media sources.

Finally I'd like to thank the many people who have sent kind words my way over the last few days. I have very high expectations of myself and always try to do my best so it is great to know that this has been appreciated by people. I've not had the time to reply to any of you directly but THANKS!

Cheers

Ian Fitzpatrick, RO 2013

Quote Originally Posted by IanFitz View Post
    EDALE SKYLINE: Race cancellation info - part 1
    That makes perfect sense, I don't think anyone could argue against anything you've said there.

Personally I'd be very pleased with a rearranged race for September, especially with opening entries from the beginning again - I didn't have an entry for last weekend due to injury but should be fit and well enough in September!