Page 304 of 315 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
    Was very impressed with this race - great organisation, super support from cheery marshalls (guess it helps when it's a lovely sunny day!) and a cracking course.
    Personally, I found it much tougher than I thought I would. This probably comes down to lack of training (especially over hills), but looking across the valley from Mam Tor at how much you had left to go was pretty hard to take, Kinder looked miles off (and it was). Confess to having thoughts of jacking it in there, but somehow started to plod on and by the time I got to the next cut off, it seemed silly to walk back.Definitely the hardest bit for me was the section between Mam Tor and Edale Cross, really tough underfoot and a slow gradient.
    Some how managed to get sun burnt....in March!!
    So I found it tougher than say the Three Peaks. Wonder if that is just because of its unfamiliarity but did seem to me much rougher underfoot, even if not so long. Would be interested in others' views...
    I still need to crack the Great Ridge section, it does for me every time. I'm always flying (by my standards) to the bottom of Lose Hill, then it all goes to pot... strangely enough though, after Jacob's Ladder I normally perk up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    before my time but yes it did but it also started up Grindslow so the circle was still the same. This year however the shortcuts on the plateau were out of bounds. 10-20 minutes difference possibly?

Also you don't take the superfast descent down passed Twitchill farm any more, you double back to hope Brink, this is definitely further and slower.3-5 minutes??
    Agree that Hope brink is definitely slower than Twitchill, but the plateau short cuts were only worth a couple of minutes at best (depending on how quick you are). Unless you have some extremely canny routes involving a tardis IDP?!

Shame, it's going (or probably gone) the same way as Trigger...moors for who's future?

What a great race. First time i've done it and i was glad for good weather. I actually ended up getting stuck in a bog at the woolpacks. So very glad some folks were coming along after me to help me out. I expect that if the visibility was worse i would have taken more care going through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Agree that Hope brink is definitely slower than Twitchill, but the plateau short cuts were only worth a couple of minutes at best (depending on how quick you are). Unless you have some extremely canny routes involving a tardis IDP?!

Shame, it's going (or probably gone) the same way as Trigger...moors for who's future?
    I couldn't possibly comment...

It's only a couple of years since I've done this and the route seems to have totally changed ;o(
    http://www.dpfr.org.uk/pages/view/skyline

New route down to Ladybower
    Avoids Twitchill
    Must go over Back Tor
    Must use new flagstones accross BK
    Must stick to edge path through Woolpacks
    No CP at Grindslow Knoll so no temptation to do the down and up

etc etc

I'm sure it's out of the organiser's hands but a bit of a shame to see the creepage over recent years to what it's now become.

Edale trail race?

Ha ha!
    Just noticed what I wrote last year a couple of posts down.
    What a grumpy git.

Ran the first half this morning...very muddy..I was going to take pictures but its was too claggy and I was dying from lack of fitness due to a virus.

I noticed all the changes except this one. Glad you pointed that one out, could have been an embarassing detour....

Barely any point doing a recce now...

Ha! I've never ever been tempted to do the down and up.

Here's the full route for those that haven't seen it yet. Enjoy the new climb up Win hill. I suspect that will really hurt at the end of the race.

The route has changed for 2017 - as below (these checkpoints are still provisional, please check closer to the event)

Start and Finish:

Field at the bottom of Grindsbrook (GR123862)

Checkpoints

Ringing Roger (SK126872) - no SI punching required
    Jagger's Clough (SK144881 - no SI punching required
    **** changed for 2017
    Stile - Path/Track Junction (SK157878) - no SI punching required
    Gate into wood (SK171862) - no SI punching required
    Track junction (SK190859) - no SI punching required
    Win Hill Summit (SK187851)
    Follow the marshals instructions on route via Hope Brink (A) and fell gate (B) - see map below
    Hope (Edale Road) - (SK168845)
    Lose Hill Summit (SK153853)
    Follow ridge over Back Tor- no SI punching required
    Mam Tor (SK127835) - no SI punching required
    Mam Nick road crossing (SK125834)
    **** changed for 2017
    Track Junction - Rushup Edge/Chapel Gate (SK099829)
    Follow the flagged track past Brown Knoll
    Track/Path Junction 400m E of Edale Cross (SK080860)
    Path/Stream crossing (SK105872) - no SI punching required
    Ringing Roger (SK126872)
    Finish (SK123863)

View the checkpoints on an OS map

Maps will be updated asap.

Download a map of the course (pdf, 2.5MB)

Download a map of the route back from Mam Nick (for retirees and possible bad weather route - pdf, 1MB)

Route Notes

We will be using the Sport Ident race tracking system
    There are two time cut-offs as follows:
    Mam Nick: 3:00 after the start
    Track/path junction East of Edale Cross: 4:00 after the start
    We hope we don't have to, but you should realise that these cut off times are subject to change if the organiser considers it is unsafe for runners to continue. This is for your safety and for the well-being of the marshals.
    Competitors are not allowed to take dogs on the course. Rabbits are allowed if kept under close control ☺.
    You will need to display your full race number during the event and confirm it with marshals as requested.
    You will need to follow instructions from marshals during the event.
    There are two road sections. Whilst there will be marshals present, you should be advised that the roads are open to normal traffic and it is your responsibility to take care!
    If you retire at any time after registering you MUST report back to the village hall.
    It should go without saying that you have no priority over other users of the peak district during the event, much of the route uses paths which are very popular and sections of the route can be busy. Please be polite.
    Unless directed by marshals, the choice of route between checkpoints is yours, but with the following exceptions:
    Keep to the path on the zig-zags under Ringing Roger – both going up and coming down. If you are caught cutting the corners of the zig-zags you will be disqualified and banned from future events.
    As per the map below, do not cut down Hope Brink early. There will be a marshal at point A.
    Brown Knoll - a flagstone path is being built here. Please follow any instructions given at registration and by marshals on the route.
    You must follow the edge path all the way along Kinder, particularly near the Woolpacks (SK090 870) between Jacobs Ladder and Grindsbrook. Alternative routes or short cuts are not allowed. This is by specific request from the Landowner and Natural England.
    We work very hard with the Natural England, the National Park and the National Trust to secure permission for the skyline. Failure to follow these instructions could jeopardise future even