Page 305 of 315 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,050 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    You must follow the edge path all the way along Kinder, particularly near the Woolpacks (SK090 870) between Jacobs Ladder and Grindsbrook. Alternative routes or short cuts are not allowed.
    Possibly a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. What about the trod after Grindsbrook?

The trod is not on the skyline so I guess out of bounds

Just seen this new route. What's the thinking behind it, anyone know? I did this in 2014 and 2015 and I'm in again for this year.

I assume the Win Hill kink into the forest is to make up the out+back to Grindslow Knoll missing?
    Gr.Knoll was a terrible place to be a marshal in 2015!

I see the Mam Nick cut off time is extended to 3hrs as a result. I'll likely be on a first half recce tomorrow
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

Quote Originally Posted by nutkey View Post
    Possibly a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. What about the trod after Grindsbrook?
    Ignorance is bliss sshhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by drmorris View Post
    Just seen this new route. What's the thinking behind it, anyone know? I did this in 2014 and 2015 and I'm in again for this year.

I assume the Win Hill kink into the forest is to make up the out+back to Grindslow Knoll missing?
    Gr.Knoll was a terrible place to be a marshal in 2015!

I see the Mam Nick cut off time is extended to 3hrs as a result. I'll likely be on a first half recce tomorrow
    we were talking about it last night, the removed Grindslow deviation came after the decision to put the extra climb in. Now that Brown Knoll is paved we wanted to make it a bit harder/rougher again. also the ES was always on the cusp of A or B status...with the extra climb its definitely an A

Well the first 'half' is definitely further, and harder than last time! I made it 12.7 miles but I might have had a couple of minor navigational clarifications. The jink through the forest was surprisingly easy to find but it is a muddy, rocky track, and the climb out is notable.
    There's a trod I found immediately on leaving the forest which goes almost directly to the summit of Win Hill. Access land, so must be fair game?
    I need to speed up, as with dog, map, snacks, photos, rests etc it took me 3:30 to get to mam nick, but I know on the day that I won't stop at all and the course should be marked by the 85% of the field in front of me!
    There is a your developing through the bracken on the way of Hope Brink too.
    Lovely day out.

Quote Originally Posted by drmorris View Post
    There's a trod I found immediately on leaving the forest which goes almost directly to the summit of Win Hill. Access land, so must be fair game?
    said trod is used on the Hope Wakes race so presume so.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

The Pete Bland map of the old route has a text box covering what I presume is the new climb up to Win Hill. Will this now be unacceptable for kit check? Will there be a new version produced?
    Friends in high places.

Likely will be recce'ing the 2nd half on Friday. Looks cold.

checkpoint 8 has moved as well, no? It looks to be a good bit (600m?) further west than previously.

Used to be able to drop off Rushup Edge from CP8 just after Lord's Seat and curve around to the ruined wall and sheepfold to the cairn crossing Chapel Gate track; my 2015 DIY map shows the 'bearing' was to head for the turrets of the Cowburn air shaft (295deg) before turning N 315deg for the slog across Colbourne.

As I haven't been over Colbourne to Brown Knoll since the 2015 race, I assume CP8 is now at the head of Chapel Gate track to link with a path across the bogmonster's home?
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

the bog monster has a dirty great slabbed path across it now. Takes away all the fun (it was this section that won me the race a few years back)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

If the bog monster's hungry enough the slabs will get eaten, then it'll be double jeopardy - sink like before then gouge shins on submerged slabs, like happens on Rombald's Moor.