Page 308 of 315 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

The only part of the route I am still unsure about is the point where you drop down in to Hope off the path from Win Hill. Yesterday we just ran down through Twitchhill farm and up the road in Hope and up Lose Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
    The only part of the route I am still unsure about is the point where you drop down in to Hope off the path from Win Hill. Yesterday we just ran down through Twitchhill farm and up the road in Hope and up Lose Hill.
    I think they normally have a marshal at that point directing people, or at least some tape/markings.
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
    There will be a Marshal in place, normally you run passed them on the higher route to Win Hill but with the new climb you won't see them until you get there. its a steep descent. good studs required for the bottom section

There are notes on the website. It doesn't go through Twitchhill Farm http://www.dpfr.org.uk/pages/view/skyline
    Look for ROUTE on the tabs and scroll down to the map showing the route off Win Hill

No spoilers here as it was marshalled last time I ran it:
    Off Win Hill, you run W then NW on the wide track, through the obvious gateway-without-a-gate until you start thinking "I've gone too far..." as the path goes obviously more downhill and starts to curve away right.
    At that point, not quite 1 mile from Win Hill summit you turn 90deg left, west(there is a faint trod through the heather, but there will be a marshal on the day), LoseHill/ Mam Tor ahead of you across the valley - look down and you'll see the trod through the bracken after the heather section, which goes all the way to the reinforced 3-strand electricity pole at the North end of the farm wall/ corner. On the OS there's a spot height at 239m which is your target(although the electricity pole is more visible :-) )
    Drop onto the lane, through the gate and to Townhead via Fulwood Stile Lane and under the railway bridge. *Drink station usually about here*
    Turn right(NW, don't turn left, south, into Hope!) and follow the path up to Townhead, signposted to the hotel(or spa?) and then find the muddy ginnel of a path to Lose Hill and dig in for along uphill...
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

Hi,
    I am after advice for the best route from checkpoints 4 to 5, any help appreciated.
    Cheers Arthur

Does anyone know roughly the distance and ascent to the two cutoff points? 3 hours at Mam Nick and 4 hours at Edale Cross? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTangoViking View Post
    Does anyone know roughly the distance and ascent to the two cutoff points? 3 hours at Mam Nick and 4 hours at Edale Cross? Thanks.
    12.0 miles & 3,400 ft to Mam Nick, then a further 4.2 miles and 595 ft to Edale Cross.
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post
    12.0 miles & 3,400 ft to Mam Nick, then a further 4.2 miles and 595 ft to Edale Cross.
    Very helpful, thanks. Good to get an idea of the challenge ahead.

Very enjoyable run round the course yesterday, greatly helped by the weather with lots of sunshine and fine views to a soundtrack by skylarks. It was a bit damp underfoot and some snow. Started from Mam Nick and met a lot of High Peak Marathon teams - shame about their generator on Win Hill. Great run on a nice route, just hope I get a place from the reserve list.