Page 311 of 315 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    We're still waiting for the final permission for some section from the land owners but....

Yes old route but in reverse. Cut offs times are still to be confirmed yes but doubt you'll have any trouble.
    How exciting. This will be MrRTS's final 50@50 :-)

Excellent.

Although I see it's on Mother's Day again...

Better get working on the brownie points
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the new route will be quicker. Fresh legs downhill from Brown Knoll to Rushop Edge and Mam Tor to the bottom of Lose Hill should be pretty quick. Obviously Win Hill needs bagging but it's not as intense as the Lose Hill climb.

DM Morris, my mum banned Mother's day in our house. She didn't like Clintons dictating when to appreciate her.

Entries open midnight tonight
    at http://www.dpfr.org.uk/pages/view/skyline

The route has changed for 2018, the provisional checkpoints are shown below. The controls and associated map are subject to final approval, so may change.

Number

Gridref

Start

Grindsbrook Meadow

SK122862

Ringing Roger

SK125872

Top of Grindsbrook

SK105872

Grindslow Knoll

SK109868

Start of Brown Knoll Flagstones

SK080861

Top of Chapel Gate (end of flagstones)

SK099829

Mam Nick road crossing

SK124834

Mam Tor

SK127835

Back Tor

SK145850

Lose Hill

SK153853

Townhead Bridge

SK168845

Top of Fullwood Stile Lane

SK170853

Hope Brink

SK177851

Win Hill

SK186850

Path on to Kinder Scout - stile

SK158878

Path junction (Coffin Rock)

SK143880

Ringing Roger

SK125872

Finish

Grindsbrook Meadow

SK122862

We will be applying cutoff times at 3 controls, provisionally there are:
    •Mam Nick (CP6) 2 hours
    •Townhead Bridge (CP10) 3hours 15 minutes
    •Path onto Kinder Scout (CP14) 4hours 30 minutes

Edale Skyline Equipment 2018

This is a long race in which there is little respite from the often 'challenging' weather. Ask anyone who was there in 2007 or 2015, or take a couple of minutes to look here:

YouTube clip of Edale Skyline 2007

The required kit list goes beyond the standard FRA kit list for an AL race and is as follows:
    •Waterproof cagoule with taped seams and integral hood
    •Waterproof over-trousers with taped seams
    •Shoes and socks
    •Hat (we'll accept a Buff, but would prefer you carried something warmer)
    •Gloves
    •Map appropriate for navigating round the course
    •Whistle
    •Compass
    •Food (400 kcal minimum) = at least 2 mars bars, preferable more!
    •Leggings (at least ¾ length)
    •Two long sleeved tops

At the organiser's discretion this list may be relaxed on the day, but all competitors should be prepared to carry all items listed above. We will have no hesitation in barring you from competing if you turn up without the stipulated kit. There will be kit checks for all runners at registration. There may also be random kit checks at the start and finish.

In addition, for the safety of you and fellow competitors, we recommend that you also consider carrying the following:
    •Mobile phone
    •Bivy bag
    •in the event of bad weather a warmer hat

Sorry if you think this all sounds rather draconian, but it is done with your best interests at heart.

Edale Skyline 2018 On the Day

General Information

The Don Morrison Memorial Edale Skyline Fell Race has been going since 1974. It is a long, tough, early season race, with often challenging conditions – we have had runners retiring with heatstroke and hypothermia! You must carry the stipulated kit. Take care on the hills and have a good day out. Please note the following:

Car Parking

As in previous years, car parking will be in a field near Shaw Wood farm, on the road between Edale and Barber Booth SK120851. Please follow marshal's instructions. Have some change ready – there will be a charge of £3 per car. Please car share if at all possible. All car park charges are donated to Edale Village School. The will be a signed off-road route from the car park to registration.

Registration

In Edale Village Hall, between 8.30am and 10.15am. If you arrive later than this, sorry, you won't be able to run.

You will be asked to fill in an entry form and complete a kit check. Please make sure your kit conforms to the standards set out on the Equipment tab of the Skyline pages. You must get the kit check completed before you can collect your number.

Collect your number from the relevant table - numbers will be generated after the closing date by SportIdent - they will be in Surname order, so it should be simple to find the correct table! Then take your number to the SI card table where you will be issued with a Sportident dibber, unless you bring your own (if you do bring your own you must still go the the SportIdent table with your dibber).

Keep the vest number at its original size and pin it to your chest. Please show this vest number to marshals at all checkpoints, even if you are wearing a jacket over the top.

Once you have registered, we assume that you start the race. If you do not start, please follow the procedure for retirements.

There will be a dibber box on the footbridge, just before the start field, so we can double check starters.

Route – see Route tab

Procedure at Checkpoints

Register your dibber in the dibber box (it will go 'beep' - more than one beep is unnecessary but not a problem).

Show your vest number to the marshal. Please give the marshal enough time to record your number.
    Please follow any instructions from marshals. If you look unfit to continue, you may be asked to retire.

There is no dibber at CP1 Ringing Roger (outward), CP2 Top of Grindsbrook, CP7 Mam Tor, CP8 Back Tor, CP11 Fulwood Stile Lane, CP12 Hope Brink and CP15 Coffin Rock.

Cut off Times – see Route tab

Retirements

Report to a marshal if possible. Also, you MUST report to the village hall to hand in your dibber. Emergency phone number is: 01433 670323

Kit Check – see Equipment tab

Weather

An up to date forecast will be posted here and in the village hall.

Bad Weather

Organisers may shorten the route or even cancel the event. The final decision may be delayed as late as race day, but obviously we will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible by posting a message on this site.

You are at risk of Hypothermia - more information

Drinks

We will try to supply water at CP6 Mam Nick and CP10 Hope Townhead Bridge. Drinks may run out on a warm day. There is very little water on the route, you are advised to take a water bottle with you.

Finish
    1.Use your dibber to record your finish time.
    2.Let marshals record your number.
    3.Hand in your vest number to the marshal.
    4.Take your dibber directly to the village hall for the download of your split times and return your dibber. If you don't download we don't know you are back and safe. There will be a charge of £30 for any lost dibbers.

*cough*

"Please only rush to enter if you are serious about participating in the English Championship as an individual or team."
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks for the info Ian, very comprehensive :-) We are hoping to get a men's Team out from Buxton AC. This will be MrRTS's final race of his 50@50. Celebration party at ours after. Although looking at his race schedule for the rest of the year there will be little rest. Once this is over he is concentrating of the English & British Champs, The Lakeland Classics and some AL races in England and Wales. Me ... I'm going for more of the local fell races this year as Beau Dog and I are not on support duties for his Challenge :-) The Edale Skyline is beyond my capabilities at the moment and I know I would not make the cut offs.
    So looking forward to supporting and cheering :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    *cough*

"Please only rush to enter if you are serious about participating in the English Championship as an individual or team."
    A little elitist?

So I can’t rush to enter as lone runner wanting a challenge and see how I’ll do against the best in the country or just against myself on a great day with good company?

Yes, this isn't the slightly anarchic off the wall sport that used to like so much as a back of the pack runner.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

My guess is they are referring to the many people who book up early for champs races with little thought, just because "it's the champs".... without much consideration as to whether they'll be up for such a long race, fit enough so early in the season, etc...

I've often seen discussion on here about actual numbers on the starting line, compared to online entries, and it's invariably centred around Champs races.

I'll be entering. I'm also really looking forward to the Buttermere Horseshoe as a champs race. If the weather is bad (or indeed excessively hot), I can see that one being absolute carnage...

Just posting from the fra front page.

Last time skyline was a champs race (2013) entries were full by mid-afternoon and a reigning champion (open) missed out. However on that occassion the RO held some spaces back for people who could prove a challenger for a champs/champs long race.

imo I think if anyone enters and doesn't start without a good reason (injury/health, unavoidable family issues - not having your calendar in order 7 weeks in advance is a bit poor if you know places are at a premium) you deserve a bit of a slagging!