Page 54 of 315 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: Edale Skyline 30/3/08

My view is you start a race / event to finish it , except in the most difficult conditions where a number of planned escape routes are a back up, and a good level of navigational skill is essential for either scenario.
    Sense has to prevail in the worst conditions, I remember some years ago on the Kentmere Horseshoe, snow driving uphill around High Street, a number of us decided to stick together to get down safely, it so happened the best route down was to continue the race.
    Only later did we find out there was a fatality, an experienced female runner missed the summit and was brought down later that evening.
    No one can afford to take chances with life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    It's this wishy washy "I'll be alright if I get behind someone in a local pennine vest" kind of mentality...
    No, it'd be much better to get behind someone in a local dark peak vest (Apologies pennine folks... )

Just got my confirmation through. I will be following people...not for the route you understand, just because I'm slow.

All the best - Raymond

So you are saying that NS means being able to navigate the route (which may require quite advanced skills) and not being able to get off the hill (which would require basic skills).

Quote Originally Posted by PlumBum View Post
    Only later did we find out there was a fatality, an experienced female runner missed the summit and was brought down later that evening.
    No one can afford to take chances with life.
    That's what I don't understand, this neccessity to complete previous races. Which means nothing about navigation skills. I was speaking to a race organiser about experience recently and he wasn't overly impressed with people entering one long race with no running experience, but with 10-20 years mountaineering experience. Personally I'd rather be up on the hill with the guy with the mountaineering experience than the runner. In my short career running i bet I've used a map on very few occassions.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    So you are saying that NS means being able to navigate the route (which may require quite advanced skills) and not being able to get off the hill (which would require basic skills).
    No.

NS means being able to navigate both the course, and any escape routes you may need to use.

Implying that the skills needed to escape the race are not as advanced as doing the race is not a sensible thing to do - inexperienced people on this forum may well believe you.

On the Skyline?

Crowhill...a couple of things...firstly if its normal weather conditions I doubt you'll see a Dark Peak vest, or any vest for that matter unless its over the top of 3 other layers!!

Secondly a few years back most of the front end of the race went wrong shortly after Ringing Roger in clag and instead of going round the edge path in the direction of Winn Hill ended up going towards the middle of Kinder 'led' , if my memory serves me correctly, by a number of Dark Peakers including one of the organisers!!!

So don't assume just because someobody might be 'local' they know where they are going!!

My navigational skills (which I'd call average) have been 'honed' by solo running and getting lost.... alot. So (weather permitting) I'd recommend this practical approach to everyone as a way of skilling up

In theory too my navigation and map reading has always been good but there's a huge difference between theory and practise, especially when you're actually somewhere completely different on the map to where you think you are.

In a funny way my own concern in a race is my full blooded need to finish the race come what may - part of me wonders whether its this that might one day be my downfall, rather than getting lost and being unable to navigate.

As for not being able to take chances in life - well sorry but (within reason) I disagree.
    Last edited by Stolly; 15-01-2008 at 02:52 PM.

I seem to read here we are agreeing.
    The difference comes in the interpretation of our statements.
    I have been known in the past as a head less chicken but I am still here to absorb more P**s taking.
    Nav skills include getting lost, but not panicking, and being able to determine where you are lost to either get back on track or get down safely.
    Wether this experience is from running on the fells or from mountaineering makes no difference.
    The level of ability does.
    Agreed, on the Skyline, turn right at anytime and drop into Edale (presuming you are still on the route), there is not the same dangers as some more mountainous regions so the level of skill could be lower but still needs to be adequate for the conditions that may be encountered.