Page 91 of 315 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: Edale Skyline 29th March 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Any idea what drinks are provided at Hope and Mam Nik? Is it cups of water?

Also, the kit list says emergency food but it doesn't stipulate how much. Is there an accepted norm for this?

Stef
    I guess the theory behind emergency food is that it should be calorie dense; loads more fat than carbs, perhaps a small bar of cadburys?

Dont think the organisers will be too fussed; a handful of JB in a bag will prob be fine.

scotttc Re: Edale Skyline 29th March 2

Hi,
    Can anyone advise if the local campsites are open at this time of year? If so are any recommended? I'm travelling down on Saturday night.

Cheers
    I'm camping at Coopers Camp and Caravan park, Gringsbrook Booth, Newfold Farm, Edale. Their tel no is 01433 670372. Arrivals are ok up to 11pm. I was quoted £5.50 a night.

They say the showers are weather dependant (ie shut if it's cold). I've not been before but it's at the start and not many sites are open. Rowter farm is shut until Easter.

In addition to above there are (in Edale)

http://www.upperboothcamping.co.uk/

(very close) http://www.fieldhead-campsite.co.uk/

or if you want to be out of Edale, try

(Hope, 10 mins drive) http://www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk/

(Bradwell, 15 mins drive and good chippy and pubs) http://www.edentreecaravanpark.co.uk/

I'm sorry to say I won't be there as I'll be skiing so you won't see me running kit check this year but...

If Andy says waterproof then only waterproof will pass muster. Don't try to play silly bu&&ers and insist 1 jelly baby constitutes emergency food. it doesn't and you will be sent away like the guy who tried last year!!

Dumping kit or trying to bend rules will only get your number noted for the 'Spot check' later. Unlike most races you spend a considerable time up high so don't skimp on kit.

but above all else enjoy.

Have fun every one I'm really jealous and I'll be thinking of you all

Having done compulsory kitchecks previously, waterproof means that, and not pertex. One year we inspected food, as evil conditions were forecast, and those with raisins and only a few jellybabies were sent across to the shop for proper food. As Ian says, take it seriously if conditions are hard.

And don't forget to carry your mobile phone . (And although its probably a bit better on the tops, O2 will give you no signal at all in Edale itself).

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Lad View Post
    Having done compulsory kitchecks previously, waterproof means that, and not pertex. One year we inspected food, as evil conditions were forecast, and those with raisins and only a few jellybabies were sent across to the shop for proper food. As Ian says, take it seriously if conditions are hard.
    Last year, kit requirement was downgraded on the day to windproof and according to the organisers that may happen again, but don't bank on it (it was unseasonably sunny).

This is the email;

Hi Andrew,
    The minimum kit requirement includes waterproof trousers which normally have taped seams. So yes, you need them.
    However, on the day, the kit that we insist runners carry depends on the
    weather conditions. The conditions vary widely. We don't ask runners to carry anything which will not be needed.
    Eg If it is 15 degreesC and there is no chance of rain we wouldn't stop
    someone taking part if they turned up for the race with only say Pertex
    bottoms. However if the forecast is for strong winds and snow/ hail/rain we would.
    Most runners who take part and train for this type of event will have both
    types with the Pertex type tending to be lighter. I suppose another way of answering your question is to say bring both or at a minimum waterproofs with taped seams. If on the day weather conditions mean you can carry Pertex rather than the 'Waterproof' then great, carry them they are lighter.
    Hope that make it clearer.
    Best Regards,
    Andy

FellandtrailAdventure

Andy Jenkins
    Fellandtrail Ltd
    So the bottom line is;

1. Bring waterproofs.
    2. Bring windproofs if you've got them and want to use them instead.
    3. Dont use them unless the organisers say it's ok.
    I know this water v windproof issue keeps cropping up time and again but it's not about saving a few grams in weight (not for me anyway).
    It can be v uncomfortable to run in a full waterproof (even a good one like paclite) unless it's very cold (sub 5deg). Windproof allows you to keep warm and sweatfree in a wide range of conditions, it also allows you to keep a jacket on for the exposed bits and the sheltered bits, instead of endlessly taking it on and off.

I fully agree that if there's any forecast risk of rain then waterproof jacket should be mandatory. It's not about keeping warm when running, it's about keeping warm waiting for mountain rescue when you've turned your ankle in the clag on Brown Knoll!! If i train in a windproof and it's raining, i also take a foil bag in my bumbag; it takes up v little space and could save my life.

Thanks Stef F and Grimmer for the camp site details!

Cheers

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Any idea what drinks are provided at Hope and Mam Nik? Is it cups of water?

Also, the kit list says emergency food but it doesn't stipulate how much. Is there an accepted norm for this?

Stef
    Ive spent many a happy hour in that car park

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I'm sorry to say I won't be there as I'll be skiing so you won't see me running kit check this year but...

If Andy says waterproof then only waterproof will pass muster. Don't try to play silly bu&&ers and insist 1 jelly baby constitutes emergency food. it doesn't and you will be sent away like the guy who tried last year!!

Dumping kit or trying to bend rules will only get your number noted for the 'Spot check' later. Unlike most races you spend a considerable time up high so don't skimp on kit.

but above all else enjoy.

Have fun every one I'm really jealous and I'll be thinking of you all
    what about two sugar pigs?