Thread: A couple for Stolly...

Fellhound

A couple for Stolly...

Stolly, old lad, recent postings on the 3 Peaks threads further confirm that you are engaged in an ongoing love-affair with the so-called PPP. The reasons for this are easy to understand; it’s a big name, it’s quite long, it’s not far from Settle…. But.. Surely there are other things to grab your imagination in the upper Ribblesdale area? How about this round, starting and finishing in Settle?

Settle
    Giggleswick Scar
    Pot Scar
    Smearsett Scar
    Studrigg Scar
    Moughton
    Norber
    Little Ingleborough
    Ingleborough
    Simon Fell
    Park Fell
    Whernside
    Crag of Blea Moor
    Cam End
    Ling Gill Bridge
    Cave Hill
    Cosh Outside
    Plover Hill
    Penyghent
    Fountains Fell
    Knowe Fell
    Black Hill
    Warrendale Knotts
    Settle

I haven’t measured it but it’s quite a bit longer than the 3P and has lots of lovely fell terrain!

Another good one is the 5 Trigs of Ingleborough. Get t’map out and have a look – it’s about 18-20 miles, starting and finishing in Feizor or Austwick.

Please understand, I'm trying to help you here...:wink:

AW

Re: A couple for Stolly...

Thanks Fellhound but I think you keep missing the point. I might have a soft spot for the 3P because its local and because I love those three peaks in particular but I don't mind people not liking the race and preferring others; I just get peeved with people not considering it a proper fell race is all. One of the completely brilliant things about fell racing is that each race route is completely different to every other and completely different to itself on the day due to weather and conditions and whatnot. We should celebrate the diversity eh?

I admit that were I designing the 3P route from the ground up today I could find two or three variations of the route that were far better but...

1. That would be ignoring the history of the race which day one was really to find your own way round and try and find the fastest route. I know that landowners have hamstrung that principle, especially so by the race having to follow the Pennine Way up Pen y Ghent and then again off of it before and after Whitber Hill but, ignoring that, the route is probably the fastest route available. A lot of its attraction is the speed that it can be traversed - every 3P walker I ever come across is always stunned when I tell them the race can be won in 2 hours 50 and that it would be less than that if the race could follow the direct line.

2. It is a fricking tough race, made all the tougher by its speed. You talked about certain fell races being ethereal etc but, in all honesty, I'm always running races full on to really appreciate much about them at the time. Races to me are about shared experiences, pushing myself to the limit and maybe having a beer after. The beauty and etherealness and all that is much more to do with solo running

3. I like to think I know getting on for 500 square miles of the Dales hereabouts really quite well, with pretty much all hills, ridgelines, mountains, waterfalls and dales covered. Most of the places that you mentioned I know really well and run past, over or through on a pretty regular basis. I'm glad though that the 3 Peaks race doesn't go to many of those places - fell races can keep to the main drags in my view

4. I enjoy running round the 3 Peaks and tend to do it every couple of months or so, doing the race itself every couple of years. I'm fellsmanning this year rather than doing the 3P race. For the record my favourite race last year was the Langdale Horseshoe.... but even better than that race was a recce of the Langdale Horseshoe route on a late September warm sunny day, followed by a swim to Peel Island in Lake Coniston. More 'ethereal' with knobs on than the race itself, which was pretty darn good in its self.

Anyway thats enough of that. Its all Ian's fault for calling the 3P 'not proper'
    Last edited by Stolly; 23-01-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Thanks Fellhound but I think you keep missing the point. I might have a soft spot for the 3P because its local and because I love those three peaks in particular but I don't mind people not liking the race and preferring others; I just get peeved with people not considering it a proper fell race is all. One of the completely brilliant things about fell racing is that each race route is completely different to every other and completely different to itself on the day due to weather and conditions and whatnot. We should celebrate the diversity eh?

I admit that were I designing the 3P route from the ground up today I could find two or three variations of the route that were far better but...

1. That would be ignoring the history of the race which day one was really to find your own way round and try and go the fastest. I know that landowners have hamstrung that principle, especially so by the race having to follow the Pennine Way up Pen y Ghent and then again off of it before and after Whitber Hill but, ignoring that, the route is probably the fastest route available. A lot of its attraction is the speed that it can be traversed - every 3P walker I ever come across is always stunned when I tell them the race can be won in 2 hours 50 and that it would be less than that if the race could follow the direct line.

2. It is a fricking tough race, made all the tougher by its speed. You talked about certain fell races being ethereal etc but, in all honesty, I'm always running races full on to really appreciate much about them at the time. Races to me are about shared experiences, pushing myself to the limit and maybe having a beer after. The beauty and etherealness and all that is much more to do with solo running

3. I like to think I know getting on for 500 square miles of the Dales hereabouts really quite well, with pretty much all hills, ridgelines, mountains, waterfalls and dales covered. Most of the places that you mentioned I know really well and run past, over or through on a pretty regular basis. I'm glad though that the 3 Peaks race doesn't go to many of those places - fell races can keep to the main drags in my view

4. I enjoy running round the 3 Peaks and tend to do it every couple of months or so, doing the race itself every couple of years. I'm fellsmanning this year rather than doing the 3P race. For the record my favourite race last year was the Langdale Horseshoe.... but even better than that race was a recce of the Langdale Horseshoe route on a late September warm sunny day, followed by a swim to Peel Island in Lake Coniston. More 'ethereal' with knobs on than the race itself, which was pretty darn good in its self.

Anyway thats enough of that. Its all Ian's fault for calling the 3P 'not proper'
    err and don't forget you enjoy trespassing on non official race days
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Another good one is the 5 Trigs of Ingleborough. Get t’map out and have a look – it’s about 18-20 miles, starting and finishing in Feizor or Austwick.

AW
    Moughton, Sulber, Park Fell and Ingleborough I've been to? Moughton is a rock pile though and I'm not a great fan ever since falling down a crevice and fooking up one of my knees. I do run a loop there though from Helwith Bridge - Smearsett, Oxenbar Woods, Wharfe, Moughton and down the bank between the quarries. Is the cairn on Simon Fell the 5th or are you counting the stupid Ribblesdale trig as well? I haven't visited that one but could never be arsed.

Fellhound

Ingleborough, Park Fell, one near Selside, Moughton, and Smearsett Scar.

PS - even though it's not proper, I and a few others still have it in mind to do a night Three Peaks sometime....

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Ingleborough, Park Fell, one near Selside, Moughton, and Smearsett Scar.

PS - even though it's not proper, I and a few others still have it in mind to do a night Three Peaks sometime....
    I'm game

Fellhound

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in Bowland for this. We are thinking of starting at 5pm and aiming for 5hrs30 ish. Does that sound reasonable?

(Date not yet finalised but most likely a Friday)

Andy W

PS - your PM inbox is full!

Andy 5 hours 30 is great. I trotted round on sunday in just that in fact and even got the line up whernside pretty good in low cloud and not so good visability. With a week or so's notice I can definitely make it and sooner rather than later suits me . I'll free up space in my pm box when I get home (on my phone atm).

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    err and don't forget you enjoy trespassing on non official race days
    Sorry AS I forgot to reply.

1. Have a look at the CROW Land Map below
    2. Look at the yellow bits
    3. Now look at whether the yellow bits are open access or not
    4. And finally if you agree that the yellow bits are open access STFU

Last edited by Stolly; 23-01-2012 at 07:14 AM.