Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calf Trouble

Calf Trouble

Sorry if this is duplicating any other similar threads however i'm having some bother and thought it would be useful to start a topic.

I pulled my left calf last night running uphill on pavement. It was very mild at first and, stupidly, instead of stopping immediately, I continued for another short while before throwing in the towel.

By the time I got home it was very painful and stairs could only be negotiated by keeping the leg as straight as possible and virtually walking on my heel.

I've only started running about 6 weeks ago and have had similar twinges before.

It always seems to be when I try to get up on my toes and up the speed. So, one option is don't get up on the toes and don't try to go fast! However I used to play football and never once had a calf problem so it's a bit puzzling. Can run slower and more flat-footed no problem however I was trying to use a softer landing to prevent joint pain and improve my form by keeping on the ball of the foot/toes.

Right calf also feels a bit tight as well now.

Am going to visit a physio in Glasgow. Have heard good things about Achilles Heel.

What's the point in posting this? Well, I suppose i'm saying DON'T TRY AND RUN CALF TWINGES OFF!! lol! I reckon if i'd stopped immediately it would be ok today.

Secondly, does this resonate with other runners here? Obviously over-stretching my calf so do I just accept that i'll always be a plodder or can the flexibility of the muscle be improved so I don't get bother in future when trying to up the intensity. Have been stretching the calves every day because i've been conscious of the earlier twinges but maybe not enough it seems.

Re: Calf Trouble

Yeah, Ive heard good things about Achilles Heel as well.
    When you say you have been stretching your calves every day, do you mean with a straight leg, or with a bent leg?
    Ive posted it before, but I might as well do so again.... http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...alf-stretches/

also, if you are just starting to go up on your toes in order to run faster (or that is what your post seemed to be implying) it could be that the muscles just aren't strong enough yet. If you only started running 6 weeks ago, it may be that you just need to go slower in terms of stepping up mileage/ speed etc. The muscles in your calves will be pretty good for walking, but for running?
    yep, you might want to spend more time building up a base level, increasing the strength (I suspect its strength, rather than flexiblity- but its best to increase both at the same time) of your calf muscles. (gastrocnemius and soleus)

oh. and dont forget to rest!
    Last edited by zephr; 23-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks zephyr.

I'd been doing straight leg where you bend the knee of the leg you aren't stretching and pull up on your toes of the straight leg (if that makes sense?)

Also trying to curl my toes into a fist and then the opposite - point the toes at the ceiling. Did some heel raises as well - just bodyweight.

Thanks for the link - will be useful i'm sure.

P.S. you did pick me up right - it was when trying to increase speed that caused me trouble. Jogging on the toes/ball of foot at 10km/hr pace poses no problems. Getting up towards 4:30 mins per km is when the trouble seems to start (or like last night, trying to go hard up a steep hill) but a 7 mile hard fell run/walk at the weekend didn't produce so much as a niggle - speed is definitely the trigger - just a pity it takes a sore one to learn your lesson

Edit: by hard fell run I mean physically hard but not fast.

If its the speed that is the trigger, its likely that the muscles in the calf might not have had the chance to adapt to your "new" sport yet. Take it easy, improve slowly. Unless you are genetically gifted, it might take a while.
    Nothing beats good old fashioned hard work and step by step improvement.

The pain you are feeling is likely to be from the muscles trying to adapt to the training. Each time you train you are effectively damaging the muscle, causing it to heal itself- (this is what you are trying to do in a training regime). If you aren't letting the muscles heal enough inbetween runs, (and equally, not stretching after them as well), the muscles will be continually degrading and not healing enough to enable you to go faster.

Did that make sense?

It may be next to nothing, if you're lucky. Your symptoms sound exactly the same as what happened to me in a race 3 years ago. I hobbled out of the race, & within 3 days I was more or less OK again, & running as normal within a week.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

yes, thanks, perfect sense - too much too soon is a familiar concept to me, perhaps now i've finally learnt my lesson

Great blog, by the way.

Thanks again

fingers crossed splatcher!

well splatcher, fingers crossed may have worked - has eased right off this morning. Hopefully start stretching by the end of the week and jogging by Sunday or Monday. I won't make the same mistake again (famous last words)

Sounds like what has bugged me for a lot of this year - it has never felt 100% and i suspect that there is something that once it 'goes' it is always susceptible to going ping.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Possibly, but I think with it being muscular there is every chance I can avoid it recurring by being more sensible with my training.

Ligaments, on the other hand... I damaged the medial ligaments in my right knee in 2001 playing football and it's always an accident waiting to happen even 11 years later. Funnily enough, I feel that the fell running has somewhat strengthened my knee however the danger is you are always aware of trying to protect it at the back of your mind which can lead to over-compensating with changes in your stride and movement and the problems that can cause. For example, I definitely tend to favour planting my left foot first if I am jumping or trying to negotiate a really steep downhill.