Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calf Trouble

Super Moderator

Re: Calf Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Tuesday night developed a torn soleus, stared as a dull ache which then tightened up a bit more. doing mile intervals. Stopped after two and ran steadily back to feel a pop in the calf after about a 1/2 mile of easy running. Now I am struggling with walking and pretty p*%$$*d off. Will be on gentle stretches and excentric calf raises for a few weeks.
    Two weeks rest, two weeks walking/cycling/strengthening and you'll be fine. Don't rush back
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Two weeks rest, two weeks walking/cycling/strengthening and you'll be fine. Don't rush back
    I had a DNF this week DT which leads me on to say "since I have done more cycling I have had more Calf problems"
    I need to stretch more but cycling can cause runners problems.

I'm joining the calf trouble bench too. It was such an inocuous start as it went about a monnth ago on a very gentle downhill trot from Fox House to Grindleford. Since then I thought it was on the mend and have managed a few runs since in cluding an 11+ run on the same route it originally went on. Then after a steady 6 on the roads on Tuesday, I went for an even easier 3 on Wednesday and it tightened up before I'd gone half a mile. Very Frustrating these calf pulls.

Together we will get through this.
    Last edited by Askern; 17-02-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Deep tissue massage and correct stretching will rid you of it. If it doesn't bring tears to your eyes then it's not deep enough.

So to speak...

Quote Originally Posted by Toast_under_beans View Post
    Deep tissue massage and correct stretching will rid you of it. If it doesn't bring tears to your eyes then it's not deep enough.

So to speak...
    Totally agree toast_under_beans. In fact we've written on this topic as it's an injury/area often needing work. Have a read of this if you need to know if you're stretching your calves correctly: http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...alf-stretches/
    Lynne

I had 2 very painful sessions of massage on the injured calf which brought out quite a lot of bruising. I guess though I've just not been patient enough with getting back into things. More treatment, stretching and ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I had a DNF this week DT which leads me on to say "since I have done more cycling I have had more Calf problems"
    I need to stretch more but cycling can cause runners problems.
    Stagger,I have found the same as you,i was mixing cycling and Fell Running and had loads of niggles running,since i stopped Cycling i have no niggles and this is twice it has happened.
    Last week i did a running race and was completely sound the next day,the first time for years and i am pretty sure it was because i stopped cycling but not everyone would find this i,me sure.Now i have to make a decision,hard one !!