Thread: Changing first claim club

Changing first claim club

Does anybody know if you have to resign from your first claim club when transfering to your second claim club, if doing so at the end of the current membership? (End of March)

I realise that you have to do so any other time of year as well as fill in the forms.

I am trying to avoid the possible 2 month ban and the paying of £10.00.

Can anybody help?

Re: Changing first claim club

You will have to fill in the England Athletics form and pay the £10, whether or not you will have to serve a ban will depend on a number of factors. The ban only affects team events, you will still be able to run as an individual for your new club. ( ie you could not enter in a relay event, cross country or count in any way for a team prize for your new club until your details have been updated on the EA database etc)

As far as I'm aware you will have to fill in the appropriate form (if your present club has registered you with EA) but you only have to pay £10 if you want to try and get eligibility for team competition sooner than the 4 month ban. You have to let EA know your intention to move club so that they can remove you from your present club's database. Your new club's membership secretary can then re-register you. We are only registered for Fell and because most of our members belong to the FRA they do not have to be registered with EA and also not pay an extra £5.00 for that privilege.

I was thinking of just waiting until the end of March, then register with my new first claim club (formally second claim). Has anybody else done this?

All resignations apply as of the date you hand them in wither by letter or by email.

As soon as you resign your first claim club, you will then become automatically first claim for your second claim club - so long as you only have one second claim club.

But you will not be able to compete in team events as someone put earlier, until your clearance has come through from EA. Typically, if you resign end March, you will be cleared to compete 1st May.

That's unless you get a ban. YOu are only likely to get a ban if you have been a regular mover of clubs, or if your old club has some sort of objection to your move, which is unusual, but could be say that you haven't paid up your membership.

These days there seems to be very few bans and most club moves go through in a month or so.

If you are looking towards taking part in a team event for your new club before May, I would resign earlier.