Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern & National XC Champs

Question Northern & National XC Champs

I know this is cross country and not a fell related issue but I’m really interested in the forums opinion on this particular matter as it’s been bothering me for a couple of years now.

Put simply does the forum think that events like the Northern and The National Cross Country championships should be screened for standards (for arguments sake sub 36min10k, sub 18min 5k entrants only) or does the forum think that the beauty of these events is the high number of participants all in one race, all wearing club vests, from all across the nation, in every age group? To be honest I'd be particularly interested to know what the faster runners up the front end ‘really’ think.

At my club we always turn out for the Northern and the National and we always take a huge mix of abilities. The ethos of the club is very much that all are encouraged to attend because of the immense camaraderie associated with these events. I think the feeling is that these races are all-inclusive affairs for all levels of runner and normally it’s a happy atmosphere for that reason, especially if it’s somewhere like Parliament Hill where there is a stop-over involved.

As someone who is now managing their decline in performance due to age (I’ll be lucky to ever finish above1000th place in the National ever again) and will generally get lapped by the first 20 finishers I’m curious to know if the forum thinks I should even be lining up on the same start line with the likes of Vernon, Jones the Normans etc, etc.

Do the guys up at the front end get really frustrated when they are faced with passing back markers who are choosing the best lines? In all honesty I always do try to take a much wider line or run on the muddier parts of the course to give the faster runners the better ground when I know they are coming through. Also I always try to cheer on the faster runners from our local leagues as they come through, but the real question is should we even be there? Should we just accept that we are out of our depth at that level or, is the whole point of events like the Northern and the National that any club runner whatever size or age can run it, it’s what makes it the race it is?

I will not be offended by opinions please be honest in your replies. Personally I’d be just as happy watching the men’s field as running in it, when it's spread out all round the course I think it’s one of the best spectacles in sport.
    Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 26-01-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Re: Northern & National XC Cha

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    I know this is cross country and not a fell related issue but I’m really interested in the forums opinion on this particular matter as it’s been bothering me for a couple of years now.

Put simply does the forum think that events like the Northern and The National Cross Country championships should be screened for standards (for arguments sake sub 36min10k, sub 18min 5k entrants only) or does the forum think that the beauty of these events is the high number of participants all in one race, all wearing club vests, from all across the nation, in every age group? To be honest I'd be particularly interested to know what the faster runners up the front end ‘really’ think.

At my club we always turn out for the Northern and the National and we always take a huge mix of abilities. The ethos of the club is very much that all are encouraged to attend because of the immense camaraderie associated with these events. I think the feeling is that these races are all-inclusive affairs for all levels of runner and normally it’s a happy atmosphere for that reason, especially if it’s somewhere like Parliament Hill where there is a stop-over involved.

As someone who is now managing their decline in performance due to age (I’ll be lucky to ever finish above1000th place in the National ever again) and will generally get lapped by the first 20 finishers I’m curious to know if the forum thinks I should even be lining up on the same start line with the likes of Vernon, Jones the Normans etc, etc.

Do the guys up at the front end get really frustrated when they are faced with passing back markers who are choosing the best lines? In all honesty I have always do try to take a much wider line or run on the muddier parts of the course to give the faster runners the better ground when I know they are coming through. Also I always try to cheer on the faster runners from our local leagues as they come through, but the real question is should we even be there? Should we just accept that we are out of our depth at that level or, is the whole point of events like the Northern and the National that any club runner whatever size or age can run it, it’s what makes it the race it is?

I will not be offended by opinions please be honest in your replies. Personally I’d be just as happy watching the men’s field as running in it, when it's spread out all round the course I think it’s one of the best spectacles in sport.
    Firstly Danbert - have you ever made top 1000 at a National :w00t:

It is the club runner's race. Simple as that. Frequented by legends as well as the also rans. The National is a race that all should be entitled to race in as is the Northern.
    The elites have the Inter Counties and the Cross Challenge series.

Show me one elite that objects to V70 Ron Hill being allowed to take part in the National and I'll show you an elite that is going nowhere fast.

As far as the National is concerned, the present race is better than the previous limit of 9 runners per club. That was always skewed as 9 runners from one club are not as good as 9 runners from another club. I do think that courses should be designed so that lapping becomes less of an issue, whilst maintaining spectator accessibility. The start of 'The National' is still a wonderful sight, and I for one, having run many and finished in the top 100 a few times don't want it changed.

Area champs should definately not be limited, and course choice is obviously reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

It is the club runner's race. Simple as that. Frequented by legends as well as the also rans. The National is a race that all should be entitled to race in as is the Northern.

Show me one elite that objects to V70 Ron Hill being allowed to take part in the National and I'll show you an elite that is going nowhere fast.
    WP, perhaps before your time, but it used to be limited to 9 runners per club.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post

Do the guys up at the front end get really frustrated when they are faced with passing back markers who are choosing the best lines? In all honesty I have always do try to take a much wider line or run on the muddier parts of the course to give the faster runners the better ground when I know they are coming through. Also I always try to cheer on the faster runners from our local leagues as they come through, but the real question is should we even be there? Should we just accept that we are out of our depth at that level or, is the whole point of events like the Northern and the National that any club runner whatever size or age can run it, it’s what makes it the race it is?

I think the Northern and the National should be screened for standards. At Alton Towers and at Leeds the year before there were far too many porkers from clubs like Rochdale, Altrincham and Salford Met.

I bet when you saw the sign thatsaid 'chip tent' on the start line, you thought your luck was really in didn't you Danbert? :sneaky:
    Who cut your hair, Stevie Wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post

I think the Northern and the National should be screened for standards. At Alton Towers and at Leeds the year before there were far too many porkers from clubs like Rochdale, Altrincham and Salford Met.

I bet when you saw the sign that said 'chip tent' on the start line, you thought your luck was really in didn't you Danbert? :sneaky:
    Brilliiant

I'll be at the Northerns but, to be honest, XC is not my thing. I'm doing it because our club (Vegan Runners) secretary asked me to as 'we' need to show England Athletics that we have people willing to take part in events like this and that EA will see that we are serious about running and not some goofy novelty club.

As for should us 'slow' people be there then yes. Until the entry requirements state a minimum standard then get to the line, support your club and run your legs off. The fast guys will know what to expect.
    Last edited by Vegan Runner; 18-01-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    I'll be at the Northerns but, to be honest, XC is not my thing. I'm doing it because our club (Vegan Runners) secretary asked me to as 'we' need to show England Athletics that we have people willing to take part in events like this and that EA will see that we are serious about running and not some goofy novelty club.

As for should us 'slow' people be there then yes. Until the entry requirements state a minimum standard then get to the line, support your club and run your legs off. The fast guys will know what to expect.
    Why do you have to show EA anything?

I haven't done the Nationals, but it was a treat to run in the McCains Euro qualifier alongside the best ...same as you can in fell. I can't run a 36' 10k

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

I
    haven't always been a wheezing, asthmatic like, middle aged jogger you know Witton.

On a more serious note though, whilst discussing this topic at work with a fellow runner this afternoon, I had it pointed out to me that the officials at these events have to stand around for what can be upto an hour and a half for some athletes to finish and that a bit of consideration for others would be nice from the extreme back markers (i.e those outside the one hour mark.) This is an angle that i hadn't previously considered before.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There