Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Lenser H7 Headtorch

LED Lenser H7 Headtorch

I'm wanting to upgrade my Tikka XP for something a little brighter this year. I've heard good things about the LED lenser H7, which is around £50. The new 2010 version kicks out 160 lumens, which I think would be bright enough (not quite Hope 4 levels mind!!) and the focus, build quality and battery life is apparently very good. Has anyone any experience of running with one of these though, especially re running comfort on the head or any other comments?

cheers

Banned

Re: LED Lenser H7 Headtorch

Just noticed in the latest copy of Trail Running mag that it get top marks.
    I also use the Tikka for my winter fell runs n was thinking of getting one of these because the 160 Lumens.

I've got one of those. It's an excellent light. Very light and very bright. I've added a top strap to mine as I don't like the headband too tight. The only real downside is the battery life. Mine is the rechargable version which will run for about 1hr 15 minutes on max or about 2 1/2 hours with lithium batteries.
    Really fancy one of these for longer night runs http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page50.htm but its not out yet.

whats the Trail running magazine like?

The Fenix HP20 looks a good choice but it is a bit heavy for trail running (260gr excluding batteries).

Thanks All. Interesting re the addition of a third strap, and the relatively short battery life (I get half the winter out of my Tikka XP using it for a couple of hours a week!). Not such a big proble I suppose if its rechargeable though. I believe the H7R also takes standard AAAs, so any idea how long these last on full power?
    Agree re the Fenix looking a bit heavy....

goldsim - Trail Running mag is OK, if a bit overly commercial and pitched mainly at beginners (presumably with high disposable incomes!). Still some useful info in it though. There was a thread on here about it a month or so ago.

The only difference between rechargable and non-rechargable versions is that you get a charger, 3 AAA rechargable batteries and a point on the light to plug it in. The both will take standard AAA batteries. I haven't tried it but I don't think that trying to run this light on standard AAA batteries ( alkalines) is a good idea.
    [Geek mode on] Alkaline batteres perform very poorly at a high current drains so they might not even last as long as the rechargables. This light is also not regulated so will run best with batteries with a fairly flat discharge curve (ie not alkalines). [Geek mode off]
    I've only used the light for relatively short runs so far where I recharge it after every run. The only exception being the Lakeland 50 where I used lithium batteries for a longer runtime but these are way too expensive for everyday use.

Re the Fenix. Most of the weight of this light will be in the battery case and batteries. These will be in you pocket or bag and not on your head. 230lumens is overkill for trail running but should be good for off road in the winter.

Have you considered the Petzl Myo XP? I use one and find it pretty good, I understand the newer version is a little brighter, and being LED the batteries last for ages. I'd avoid the other Petzl Myos though they seem too complicated with too many components to go wrong - ie little contacts etc inside the head unit for switching between LEDs and the ordinary bulb etc. I've had my MYO XP for about 3 to 4 years with regular weekly winter night fell runs - its never let me down.

Must admit I do rate Petzl stuff. My Tikka XP has never let me down either, and the battery life has been phenomenal. Cheers for the techy info OTC - rechargebale is probably the better option by the sound of it, especially as it will mostly be for shorter runs anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    Have you considered the Petzl Myo XP? I use one and find it pretty good, I understand the newer version is a little brighter, and being LED the batteries last for ages. I'd avoid the other Petzl Myos though they seem too complicated with too many components to go wrong - ie little contacts etc inside the head unit for switching between LEDs and the ordinary bulb etc. I've had my MYO XP for about 3 to 4 years with regular weekly winter night fell runs - its never let me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Must admit I do rate Petzl stuff. My Tikka XP has never let me down either, and the battery life has been phenomenal. Cheers for the techy info OTC - rechargebale is probably the better option by the sound of it, especially as it will mostly be for shorter runs anyway...
    I use an MYO XP all though I've had a few problems they've always replaced the torch with a new one, I also have a hand held Lenser torch which is Awesomewhich I use for rescue work, It's the same size as a Mag lite AA but the beam strength is amazing and has replaced the huge torches we used to carry, Not used the head torch but if it's anything like the hand torch it will be brilliant...