Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fellsman v 3 peaks

Re: Fellsman v 3 peaks

couldn't agree more re organisers- not having a go at any one least of all the organisers- just disappointed i couldn't do both and pointing out lack of evidence-informed decision making (its what i do)...

given the choice I'd say fellsman is the better race- cos its longer, you run in the dark and go over squelchy stuff but theyre both great, and really your'e comparing apples and oranges...

lots of gen on nav for fellsman on threads- but you shouldn't have any probs if you're halfway competent with map and compass (saying that- I'll probably get lost this year- and serve me right too!)

Both 3Ps and Fellsman need a good series of build up races (starting with Hebden tomorrow)

Would be interested to see which races everyone is usuing in their build up.....

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Both 3Ps and Fellsman need a good series of build up races
    I'm not convinced about that Steve. I'm doing the Fellsman and the only long build up race that I'm doing is the Hobble. Oh and I'm doing Wadsworth Trog as well 'cos I like it (weird how 20m doesn't count as a long race any more)

My reasoning is that i can go out and train 20-25-30 miles at a suitable pace whenever I like; I don't need there to be a race in progress. I'm only doing the Hobble because I want to wear all the race day kit, make sure it works ok for an extended period, also I want to practice using the aid stations like they have at the Fellsman.

Perhaps I'm unusual in that I have no problem with motivating myself to do 4-6hr training runs; I quite enjoy the 'brain-out' zone that I get into!

I actually think that a host of 20m races would be counterproductive, at least for myself. I'm training at 12min/mile pace which is yawningly slow but absolutely necessary if a Fellsman novice such as myself is going to get round. Having a serious stab at a shorter race would take around 5-6 days (taper, race day, recovery) out of my training time, time in which i could have done a 30m run or a back to back 25/20m.

If I already had a few Fellsman finishes under my belt then it would be different; I'd be looking to crank the pace up, so a few shorter races might be just the job.