Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: falling over

Re: falling over

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    I've only fallen three times, in races, to the best of my memory....
    By 'eck luxury lad, I did three falls 'in one fall' at the Langdale Horseshoe last October:

Fall one - stumbling slightly and dropping 4 foot higher off of Bad Step than I had planned to
    Fall two - landing, but completely off balance, and being thrown backwards
    Fall three - in some kind of mad self preservation reflex action, turning the being thrown backwards into a full on backwards somersault... and kicking the side of the mountain and almost certainly fracturing a bone in my little toe in the process

And I think I had at least 4 other 'one fall' falls in the same race

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Nice thread, do you need another expert? I haven't fallen over for a month now! Most of mine fall into 3 categories:

1. Negotiating a none-running hazard
    2. Interacting with people and losing focus
    3. Tired/fatigued muscles (and/or brain)

The most recent was a case-1 of falling head-first off a wall/stile going up Penyghent. If only there was anyone to see it, it must have been hilarious to watch!

Case-2s happen to me all the time, such as spurring someone on at Duddon last year, after Dow Crag, as he seemed to be flagging. The resulting tumble on the soft ground didn't seem to slow me down.

Case-3 days are the worst possibilities for injuring muscles, or going over on ankles. I find all I can do then is to a) run slower; and b) take a break.

Luckily my body goes floppy at the slightest sign of trouble, protecting from serious injuries at the expense of plentiful bumps & bruises!
    Good summary LJ.

I would agree with the idea that confidence and concentration play a big part, and if you fall on fairly straightforward/familar terrain it can come as a bit of a shock ('I can run this route blindfolded, y'know, and... aaahhhumpff'). Had a minor stumble locally but it meant I was really tight for the rest of the run, and consequently fell over descending twice more.

Interestingly, to me at least, I didn't fall at all during my first 8 months fell-running. It never occurred to me that you could. Since my first 'proper' fall - which coincided with my first race - I have been more prone to trips here and there, and while I would like to think this is down to increased speed it probably has more to do with the lengthy process of 'getting back on the horse'.

That or I'm just clumsy...

Master

" Interestingly, to me at least, I didn't fall at all during my first 8 months fell-running. It never occurred to me that you could. "

I suffered the same delusion HT - I saw people at the finish of fell races with bloody knees/faces and was convinced it would never happen to me - until of course it did - I now concentrate much more when I know I am at risk, as well as wear gloves/brimmed hat ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    " Interestingly, to me at least, I didn't fall at all during my first 8 months fell-running. It never occurred to me that you could. "

I suffered the same delusion HT - I saw people at the finish of fell races with bloody knees/faces and was convinced it would never happen to me - until of course it did - I now concentrate much more when I know I am at risk, as well as wear gloves/brimmed hat ....
    Gloves yes! Ever since I slipped on an icy country road and drove a thorn deep into my palm... It's not shrapnel but it still hurts.