Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bleasdale Circle

Sums it up perfectly guys.
    A great race made tougher by the slushy footing, and strong winds from Fairsnape to 200 feet down off Parlick. Thanks fellow Bowlanders for putting on a top race.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 20-02-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Well done to Leigh and his merry band of helpers. Conditions on top were grim, with the wind and rain whipping your face making the world appear very blurred. The marshalls on top deserve medals.
    The descent to the farm was a belter, but I was glad to get past that stinking slurry pit, albeit onto very boggy fields which made for hard going.
    The village hall was a bonus being able to get changed in the dry, and the soup went down a treat too.
    I didn't see Wheezing Donkey - sorry if I missed you, but all the marshals were well cagged up.
    Great race - well organised. Cheers
    See the light in the night

Many thanks for the nice comments, marshals on the tops had a particularly tough time with horizontal rain going straight into our eyes as we tried to see your numbers.
    Wheezing Donkey could not be there due to a 'small' home emergency.

Can I just mention as well - impeccable moment of silence observed pre-race, in memory of Joe Smith
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Well done to Leigh and his merry band of helpers. Conditions on top were grim, with the wind and rain whipping your face making the world appear very blurred. The marshalls on top deserve medals.
    The descent to the farm was a belter, but I was glad to get past that stinking slurry pit, albeit onto very boggy fields which made for hard going.
    The village hall was a bonus being able to get changed in the dry, and the soup went down a treat too.
    I didn't see Wheezing Donkey - sorry if I missed you, but all the marshals were well cagged up.
    Great race - well organised. Cheers
    Very well put Mark, I'd like to second your comments, especially about the marshals.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Hi All,

Just a quick, last minute heads-up for the 2017 edition, this Saturday, 18th February.
    Bring all the mandatory kit and some; and be prepared to carry it - there will be a random, start line kit check.
    Please car share wherever possible - to this end cars with only one occupant will be charged £3 for parking - cars with two or more occupants will be charged £1 - it all goes to the village school whose playground is used as part of the car parking.
    Entry on the day will be £7
    Those on the pre-entry list will be charged £5

Ian Roberts, Bowland F.R.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 15-02-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Hi All,

Just a quick, last minute heads-up for the 2017 edition, this Saturday, 18th February.
    Bring all the mandatory kit and some; and be prepared to carry it - there will be a random, start line kit check.
    Please car share wherever possible - to this end cars with only one occupant will be charged £3 for parking - cars with two or more occupants will be charged £1 - it all goes to the village school whose playground is used as part of the car parking.
    Entry on the day will be £7
    Those on the pre-entry list will be charged £5

Around 30 places left, would advise contacting organiser if you intend running, may not be entries on the day if limit reached. Would be good if you could contact organiser by tonight.
    Thanks.

A 'heads-up' for the 2018 edition of this grass-roots fell race in a beautiful venue.
    This Saturday, 17th February at 1.00 p.m. Pre-entry (£5) by contacting the organiser - see FRA website or the handbook / fixtures calendar - but hand over the money on the day.
    Car parking goes to the village school - £3 for cars with only 1 occupant, £1 for cars with 2 or more occupants; PLEASE, PLEASE car share, space is very tight.
    Bring full mandatory kit as specified by the FRA - you will be required to carry it.

I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I'll be going again to this belting race. RO already contacted.
    See the light in the night

Before I prattle on about the race I must mention the post race catering....it was first class.

Wynn’s soup, take your pick from either the mushroom or the leek and potato, both were amazing.....and the cakes, oh blimey don’t get me started on the cakes: chocolate cake, chocolate orange cake, lemon cake, Victoria sponge cake....crikey I’m salivating whilst typing out this culinary tribute to Wynn and the ladies in the kitchen....many thanks.

Whilst registering for the race something soon became apparent. The small village hall of Bleasdale was being turned into a small corner of Cumbria, there must’ve been about 40 runners from the Kendal based club of Helm Hill. Our Lakeland friends made up about a third of the total race entries..hats off to the green machine!

Once we’re counted through to the start line (117 runners) it’s refreshing to see the full high terrain of the race route coming into view as the earlier cloud finally lifts from Fair Snape and Parlick. Before the off we’re asked to give a rousing applause to the recently passed Steve Cliff and I think we did Steve proud....a true fellrunning stalwart who’ll be missed by many.

I do enjoy this race....apart from the first mile. The muddy leg sapping fields leading to Higher Fairsnape farm really make the slog up towards the fell gate seem harder than it should. It’s a relief to get hands on knees for the ascent of Fairsnape fell as the race route heads for Paddy’s Pole cairn. As always the Greek god of fellrunning Yiannis Tridimas is marshalling and as usual he’s shouting out words of encouragement....what a star.

The run over towards Parlick is unusual for these parts as it’s pretty much void of bogs. The runnable path soon brings the short climb of Parlick and it’s evident that a good few hand gliders are taking full advantage of the weather. It doesn’t take much for me to burst into song and I find myself trying to sing the Lynyrd Skynyrd classic ‘Free Bird’....”If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?”....blimey 2 lines into the song and I have to stop, I’m blowing too hard....must conserve energy for the brilliant descent.

Whilst descending I swear I’m being ‘dive-bombed’ by hand gliders. I can’t believe how close they feel above my head....during fell races, along with the obvious obstacles of rocks, bogs, tree roots, holes etc I’ve been chased by dogs and cows: nearly been hit by a golf ball: dodged cyclists: tripped over a sheep: caught the attention of an aroused horse: there’s more that currently escape my memory.....but today was definitely the first time for perilously close ‘flying humans’.

Why does the final short field before the woods feel so hard to run across....it gets me every time.

Well done Steve Snape on the win and congratulations to Sharon Taylor on the win and course record.

Many thanks to Leigh and all helpers....lovely location, cracking little race and beltin company....and the food, we can’t forget the food.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.