Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleasdale Circle

Wat a great day. Fantastic.
    "To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe"

Top race, really enjoyed this one on Saturday. Descent was a real cracker, as was the run along the snowy top! Definitely pencilled in for next year

Ps, top notch soup & roll afterwards and the cake must have been good as it was sold out by the time I went to buy some

Glad you all enjoyed it. Something exceptional about the "quiet & private" nature of the Bleasedale estate and that they allow us to keep returning year on year. We were at bursting point this year, one more car and it would have been sent back down to park on the public highway.
    Cheers for turning up guys and turning a fixture into a proper event.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Glad you all enjoyed it. Something exceptional about the "quiet & private" nature of the Bleasedale estate and that they allow us to keep returning year on year. We were at bursting point this year, one more car and it would have been sent back down to park on the public highway.
    Cheers for turning up guys and turning a fixture into a proper event.
    Thanks to you also Ian, and all the organisers. It was a great race.

Just a quick 'heads up' for this year's race on Saturday 20th February @ 12.00 noon. It is pre-entry only this year; basically contact Leigh to let him know that you are coming then pay on the day - See FRA Fixtures Calendar or the FRA Website. Bring full kit as per FRA requirements - it's winter and can be very remote if you go walkabout E of Paddy's Pole. PLEASE, PLEASE car share where-ever possible ..... £1 / car goes to the village school.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 08-02-2016 at 02:02 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Giving this a bump up

At least 4 of us from Darwen heading over, car sharing, of course
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Nice weather for ducks!

I think even our waterfowl little friends would've looked up at the heavens today and asked for a break. After last nights soaking at Mr Sparkles Dark un, it was another drenching today with brass knobs on. Leigh informed us at the start that the conditions on top where grim with 60mph winds...hmmm here we go again. How's my wife gonna cope with all this extra washing, I think I may have to learn how the use the washing machine....blimey the stresses of being a fellrunner.

The muddy fields on the run out really drained already tired legs and when the Helm Hill lads started disappearing into the distance my initial thought was, " that's taking the piss after their session last night". The Helm lads, Adam, Ben, Lee and Andy had also raced last night and then went on the lash with the Darwen Dashers till 2am and slept over in the pub car park....how's that for race preparation? Maybe it's the way forward, none of this tapering nonsense and 8hrs sleep.

At the first summit, Paddy's Pole, the words from Leigh's pre-race briefing are coming true...crikey it's grim, then I see fell legend Yanis manning the check point and all is well. What a guy Yanis is, 71 years old stood about on a windswept fell supporting the sport he's given so much to...brilliant.
    Talking of remarkable characters what about Preston's George Arnold competing today as a 79 year old....you had to be there today to realise how incredible this achievement is, well done George.

By the time we'd reached Parlick the wind had intensified and the marshals tent was looking battered...thank you so much marshals for being out today, you're all stars. The descent off Parlick was a real treat, running off a fell into a strong wind is a great feeling, you can really let yourself go but not feel like you're losing control. The downside was not being able to feel any sensation in your face, proper numb from the weather...a bit like a trip to the dentist when the anaesthetic has kicked in.

Well done Sam Tosh for another good performance, running well mate...nice one. Also great to see Holly Page back on the scene and running well.
    Cheers Leigh and all the helpers...wasn't that soup lovey, thank you ladies....much appreciated.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Haha, great report, Darren. Spot on as well, those are the worst conditions I've raced in, in my short 18 months of fell running, I even slipped down the descent off Parlick, covering about 100 metres in 5 seconds, grass burn a plenty but couldn't even feel it I was that cold. Great route, one of my favourites around here.

Massive thanks to Leigh and all the helpers, marshals (extra kudos to you in those conditions!!) and soup ladies!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Good write up Darren, you captured the "atmosphere" of the day well. Definitely some of the worst conditions I've raced in, and a huge thank you to the marshals on the summits, it must have been really grim! And of course, thanks to Leigh and everyone else that helped out. What a cracking day!