Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home blood pressure monitors

Home blood pressure monitors

Hypertension is a problem in my family. :thunbdown: In recent years my blood pressure has been up and down a bit which gets picked up during routine health tests and I end up having to go down to the docs peridocially to follow up. Which is a bit of a pain to be honest.

So I'm thinking of getting a home blood pressure monitor so that I can keep an eye on it myself and not have to keep going back to the docs just for randomly high readings. Obviously if it stays high I would then get medical advice.

Are they a bit of a con?
    Are they any good?
    Can anyone recommend a decent one that is fairly hassle free?

Thanks

Re: Home blood pressure monito

I actually have 2 blood pressure monitors! The theory is that the further from your core you take the reading, the less accurate. HOWEVER I have tried comparing readings from my 2, one the old fashioned upper arm pump up with a bulb sort & the other a far more convenient wrist mounted automatic. They came out the same. (That is, the reading varies a bit each time you take it, but there is nothing to choose between the 2 machines.) I almost never use the upper arm one because lashing it to my arm is awkward (which in itself tends to put my blood pressure up) & requires me to do a semi-strip, which in this house in winter risks hypothermia.

I am very keen on having my own monitor. When I read the instructions I realised that my GP doesn't follow the rules for an accurate reading. One should have been sitting down relaxing for a while, and while the reading is being taken one should not move OR TALK. My GP always asks me questions while the test is going on. Comparing test results taken at the GP surgery is not really valid, as the time of day and what one has been doing varies. I will often have been sprinting to get there in time for my appointment. Digesting food can also influence the reading. So, IMO it's ideal to be able to take the reading at the same time each day. My preference is for just after getting up, before I have eaten or exercised. Apparently one's BP is highest in the early morning (in preparation for getting up), and lowest at night (getting ready to sleep). So, obviously, comparing night and morning would not be valid.

I suggest reading up about models to buy HERE where the British Hypertension Society has a useful article about wrist monitors.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

My doctors has a machine and you can go in and do it yourself, so I can take 5 minutes to compose myself, which I find a bit more relaxing and maybe get a true reading.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Interesting
    my mother had problems at 40 my sister had problems at 44 i made it to 47 after time in hospital i was advised to see GP have been on meds ever since its a pain. i have my own monitor as i find i get white coat syndrome at GPs so i take an average reading and present it to them, its true about not talking or crossing legs be relaxed is the thing.
    Going to try again....

If you are checking your blood pressure, or having it done by the professionals, this makes interesting reading. In 15+ years of having my bp checked regularly (on medication), I've never had this done.
    "Blood pressure 'should be measured in both arms": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16739682

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    If you are checking your blood pressure, or having it done by the professionals, this makes interesting reading. In 15+ years of having my bp checked regularly (on medication), I've never had this done.
    "Blood pressure 'should be measured in both arms": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16739682
    Thanks for a fascinating article. I have been testing both wrists for years because one is advised not to repeat the check too soon on the same arm - the squashing can affect the reading. So I alternate. Tonight I tested each wrist 4 times and averaged the readings, getting only 3 points variation overall between R & L systolic. I have read that it is normal to have some difference, because the dominant arm will have been exercised more and developed more blood flow. In my case, I am nearly ambidextrous, so it makes sense that there is not much difference.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Flopsy,

I can recommend buying your own monitor (many are approved by the British Hypertension Society)

IMHO home monitoring is more accurate - there is stress associated with having BP measured by the medical professional and as has already been mentioned rushing to get to the clinic etc all contributes to inaccurate readings.

I measure my own BP on a regular basis and keep a record of it (there are loads of free apps which can log the data, chart it etc over time if you're into that sort of thing). If my BP was to change I would then go and see the Doctor etc.

Don't be surprised if your resting heart is on the low side. On a personal note my resting heart rate was perceived by the doctor as low which gave concern until I mentioned that I was a fellrunner

Master

Quote Originally Posted by theitmancometh View Post
    Flopsy,

I can recommend buying your own monitor (many are approved by the British Hypertension Society)

IMHO home monitoring is more accurate - there is stress associated with having BP measured by the medical professional and as has already been mentioned rushing to get to the clinic etc all contributes to inaccurate readings.

I measure my own BP on a regular basis and keep a record of it (there are loads of free apps which can log the data, chart it etc over time if you're into that sort of thing). If my BP was to change I would then go and see the Doctor etc.

Don't be surprised if your resting heart is on the low side. On a personal note my resting heart rate was perceived by the doctor as low which gave concern until I mentioned that I was a fellrunner
    Readings obtained after rushing to a clinic and so on may be unrepresentative but they will not necessarily be inaccurate - there is a difference. The problem is if your BP goes up in response to being in a rush it probably goes up in response to all sorts of things - so a 24 blood pressure profile is needed to assess the 24 hour blood pressure load. Home BP readings may get rid of the so called white coat effect, but again, if you respond to a white coat context, how do you respond to other day to day stresses? Having said all that BP is just one of many risk factors for vascular disease and the others - smoking/obesity/diabetes/poor diet/lack of exercise/high cholesterol/family history are just as important if not more so, though you cannot do much about the last of these.

WRT taking BP in both arms this is only significantly different in a tiny percentage of people, though when it is different it is important to know this and to know why - the commonest cause is narrowing of the blood vessel to one arm though there are others - in someone with chest pain it can indicate an aneurysm in the chest though these are rare.

Thanks for the responses, sorry for the delay I've been away.

Mike, I appreciate what you say, as always. I'm sure if it got to the point that it was necessary then they'd do a 24hr blood pressure monitor. A significant amount of my relatives have had high blood pressure and died of strokes so generally the medical profession are alert to any problems I might have. Right now I'm waiting for further tests on my heart as that is playing up again and so to be honest I think I might just try and keep an eye on my blood pressure at home for while.

theitmancometh, I like the idea of keeping a record to see if there are any trends. That could be key in controlling any spikes I suppose.

It sounds like there aren't any specific recommendations just ones approved by the BHS (...isn't that the British Horse Society!! :wink

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this may be relevant to some. I had a white coat thing of getting high readings. Took tablets for 12 years (atenolol for 4 of them ), assured by the GPs that I'd be on them "for the rest of my days".

Finally got a referral, had dozens of tests (including the 24 hour thing) and just told today that "there's nothing to treat" and to "forget about it". Really pleased.

From speaking with a couple of consultants it seems that high bp (within reason) doesn't necessarily mean ill heath, just as a low pulse rate doesn't necessarily mean you're hyper fit.