Thread: Running in Tasmania

Running in Tasmania

I'm off to Oz in December and I gather its the Tasmania Mountain Running Championships at the time. Anyone on here done them or any other running in Tasmania thanks

Master

Re: Running in Tasmania

Be prepared for all sorts of weather in Tasmania in December - I have been snowed on at that time of year!

I think Molehill will probably be here soon with scary stories about leeches and nether regions!!!!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Unhappy Re: Running in Tasmania

I don't want any talk of nether regions thankyou

I went out there to visit my emigrated mum & dad a few years ago, was amazed to find that very few people went hill running, though this was farming country just in from the northern coastline, Ulverstone/Devonport area. Temperatures were generally 5 degrees warmer than UK, so their december will be warm to quite hot. watch out for snakes though, easy rule is All snakes on Tasmania are venomous.
    The mountain territory is fabulous though, it should be great country to roam or race in.

According to my mate from Taz the two best pubs in Hobart are the New Sydney Hotel and the Shipwright's Arms.

Sorry, what was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Quosh View Post
    According to my mate from Taz the two best pubs in Hobart are the New Sydney Hotel and the Shipwright's Arms.Sorry, what was the question?
    The Mountain Running Championships, have you done em ?? but I will make a note of those two pubs thanks

Fantastic island, far better than the mainland and we would love to return. We were trekking (not running), and the people seem far more geared up to "bush walking" (trekking) than running the mountains etc. To them, loading a vast backpack with supplies and trolling off onto a trail or wilderness area for 2 weeks (with no re-supplies) is their idea of a holliday. They can't quite see the point of running everywhere and seeing nothing of the wilderness.

That was our impression anyway. Obviously there is some running, but it didn't seem to be bigtime.
    January weather (their summer) was much like a Wales summer, we were south of Hobart and you could expect anything from sunshine to sleet, hail, snow, wind and lots of rain on the mountains - it all arrives courtesy of the Antarctic! Weather changes by the hour and prepare for all 4 seasons in a day, but you may strike lucky.

Think there were only 4 species of snake, we saw a couple but I never got close enough to poke one :thunbdown:, virtually no deaths but everyone wears gaiters, which may be one reason. Leeches are another matter, bastards get you every time, in nasty places . Check after every run/walk.

Enjoy the flora, and fauna absolutely incredible and those Tasmanian devils are just something else - bless 'em :thumbup:.

Good luck, you can't help but love the place.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Thanks for the info. folks. I think I am going to do a ' 5 day safari' type thing around the island, which I have seen advertisedSounds great !